Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: Blackface
(14-01-2014 05:35 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 03:01 AM)Juv Wrote:  Americans are very fucked up over race.

Yes, because some of us have great-grand-parents who litterally were slaves...litterally...

Last time I checked, we're all bloody and disgusting on the inside anyways. I don't see why people give such a big fuck. We're all sad and terrible and we're all going to die one day.

Yay. Shy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
15-01-2014, 09:08 AM
(14-01-2014 06:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yabbut it's not like Europe is much better when it comes to racism.

As someone living in Europe I was shocked by your ludicrous claim, but clicked the link with an open mind. The story is about a football (soccer) player who played for Milan, but then quit to work for an opposing team, and the event in question is when Milan fans were taunting him. Their anger with him wasn't that he was black, it was for playing for the opposing team. They would have taunted a white player too. So to say their level of racism is comparable to the US south speaks volumes.
15-01-2014, 12:50 PM
ok. I still don't get the whole blackface thing. I read the links, but I still don't understand. I can be slow on the uptake.

How is this any different from Eddie Murphy painting his face white in Coming To America, or that idiotic movie White Chicks, where black MEN, are disguising themselves as white WOMEN. This is seen as comedy.

I guess I still don't get it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-01-2014, 01:49 PM
"Blackface" is offensive, but not by definition.

In the United States, it is important to understand that blackface began in entertainment as a means of depicting dark-skinned people, usually in ways that are not flattering. It wasn't just the make-up, but the whole depiction that was derogatory and defamatory. Simply put, white people put on black face to caricature and mock black people.

Important to note: blackface, historically, was literally black. There was no effort to actually look like a black man (more accurately, a brown man). It would be like dressing as an American Indian/Native American by actually painting yourself red, not reflective of what real Native Americans look like. Or yellow. Or white.

This has, unfortunately, been reduced to the point that any white person putting on black face is considered offensive, with very few exceptions.

Some exceptions that come to mind:

Neil Diamond in "The Jazz Singer" dresses up as a black man, complete with makeup, not to mock black people, but to pass as one while performing in a nightclub with a black clientele. He's given away when he starts clapping to the music and folks realize he has not painted his hands. This depiction turned the tables on the original Jazz Singer, which was a more traditional (and more offensive) use of blackface.

Billy Crystal put on makeup to look like Sammy Davis Jr. in an Oscars opening a few years back. A few people were taken aback, but it mostly passed without scandal. Crystal was not trying to look like black people or mock black people. He was trying to impersonate and look like Sammy Davis Jr.

Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for an Oscar for playing an actor who would do anything to win an Oscar -- even to the point of artificially pigmenting his skin to look like a black man. He was not making fun of black people. He was making fun of actors.

There are other examples of this: I haven't seen the movie "Soul Man," but I know the lead actor was in blackface for much of the film and I don't recall a whole lot of controversy about it because it was essential to the plot. The movie didn't do well because it wasn't all that funny.

In all of the above examples, I'm sure SOME people were offended, but they were relatively few in number.

Most opposition to blackface is, looking deeper, an opposition to stereotyping and mocking a race and/or culture.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post