Blackmail at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2011, 07:53 AM
RE: Blackmail at work
(13-06-2011 05:14 AM)Filox Wrote:  I would also mention the words LAWYER, SUING and COURT. Every company is very afraid of those words. I your boss ignores you, or gets mad and wants to fire you, then you go to your HR rep, also join the union, they will eat your college alive for this kind of harassment. After these steps, have a monologue with you "college" and tell him you are suing his ass for religious harassment if he EVER looks or talks to you ever again. This includes time when you are off-work.

Bad advice.

Again, if your goal is to keep the job and be left alone, your best chance of doing that is to work it out with your employer without making threats. Once you start throwing out words like "lawyer", "suing" and "court", you've completely changed the dynamic. They may not fire you today and they may not fire you tomorrow but rest assured you are now on a list. The first time they have a reduction or something, you will be out. If not, they will be on you for everything; every mistake, every slight, every time you are late will be noted.

I've seen this before and most companies take threats and ultimatums very, very seriously. If you want to keep this job, work it within their system. It may ultimately come down to lawyers and suing and court but there is always time for that later.

Oh, and I'd equally suggest you not threaten your colleague either. Tell him to go away, tell him to leave you alone, but threats will not make the situation better. When you issue a threat, you better be absolutely prepared to back it up and deal with the consequences because you have no idea how someone will react.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Here's an idea. I think you should go to your religious colleague and tell him you are not impressed with his behavior. You can tell him that you didn't expect someone who prides himself so much of his religious beliefs to be the biggest asshole in the company. Tell him if coming to church with him is going to make you a back stabbing asshole like him, you'd rather never set foot in that church in your life. You can also tell him we don't live under a Taleban state, and that people shouldn't be harassed, threatened, or blackmailed into following a given religion. Since he embarrassed you, I see no reason for you to walk on egg shells.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
13-06-2011, 05:39 PM
(13-06-2011 07:53 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(13-06-2011 05:14 AM)Filox Wrote:  I would also mention the words LAWYER, SUING and COURT. Every company is very afraid of those words. I your boss ignores you, or gets mad and wants to fire you, then you go to your HR rep, also join the union, they will eat your college alive for this kind of harassment. After these steps, have a monologue with you "college" and tell him you are suing his ass for religious harassment if he EVER looks or talks to you ever again. This includes time when you are off-work.

Bad advice.

Again, if your goal is to keep the job and be left alone, your best chance of doing that is to work it out with your employer without making threats. Once you start throwing out words like "lawyer", "suing" and "court", you've completely changed the dynamic. They may not fire you today and they may not fire you tomorrow but rest assured you are now on a list. The first time they have a reduction or something, you will be out. If not, they will be on you for everything; every mistake, every slight, every time you are late will be noted.

I've seen this before and most companies take threats and ultimatums very, very seriously. If you want to keep this job, work it within their system. It may ultimately come down to lawyers and suing and court but there is always time for that later.

Oh, and I'd equally suggest you not threaten your colleague either. Tell him to go away, tell him to leave you alone, but threats will not make the situation better. When you issue a threat, you better be absolutely prepared to back it up and deal with the consequences because you have no idea how someone will react.

Best advice so far.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2011, 06:51 PM

I live in a small European country. But our constitution was not written here. It was written in Dayton, Ohio, USA in November 1995 (and signed in Paris in December 1995). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutio...erzegovina

It says (the laws say the same) that no discrimination is allowed. But that constitution and non-discrimination laws obviously don't apply to religion and ethnic origin. Smile

I worked for government and I lost my job (my contract was not renewed) because in our department we had to have the same number of Croats/Catholics, Serbs/Ortodox and Bosniaks/Muslims. And I could not fit any of the given categories (my father being Croat and my mother a Serb, and I'm not religious). For some time I was "the others", a neutral party. But it was not sustainable. They even told me they had troubles with not knowing how to file my two days off for religious holidays?!?

So, I lost the job for not belonging to any distinct ethnic group/religion.

Working in the private sector is even worse. Most non-governmental companies have strict non-discrimination policies, but that's once you have the job. Most of companies use employing agencies who do the pre-screening of candidates (and do the clean discrimination job for them - according to employers non-written wishes). Smile

but who cares, we have democracy now, together with the Constitution made in USA. we got some new human rights are here, including voting and being voted for - but only if you belong to certain ethnic groups/religions!
great... that means I cannot become a member of the three-member presidency (we call it the three-headed monster).

but that's not all... there is also a god-like figure - THE HIGH REPRESENTATIVE, elected far away from this country. the current one is from Austria, who has the power to replace any elected government official, including the presidency members!

So, who has the right to say there's no God. My grandmother's retirement, after being a teacher for 37 years, is USD 280 a month, and our God's monthly salary is exactly 22,422 EUR (32,312 USD) - and this is about half of the salary of one of our previous Gods had had (the British one). but, hush, that's because he is now also a EU special representative to our country (having one more separate salary at approximately the same amount).

so, if your boss has a problem with your (non)religion, tell him about the real, very material, God in Bosnia.

by the way, I worked for Him for a year or two, but I could not stand the "(un)official dress color". yes, I was harassed for the color of my suit!
Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Look, don't get me wrong, but what would any of you do if you or your wife is SEXUALLY harassed? You would SUE the man, or the company without even asking around. This is not that bad situation, but it is still very bad. I didn't say he should threaten the boss with going to court, but I would still go and talk to my boss. The best thing you can do is be honest and tell the truth. If you don't have anything to hide, then don't hide anything, can it be more simple? If that religious guy talks to your boss first, you loose the advantage of honesty and first strike. If you go to your boss and ask him to help you out (don't need to threaten with anything), your colleague has nothing to threaten you, he looses all the things he now thinks he has against you. So forget about my advice about threats and courts, but do try the diplomatic approach and the element of first strike. With that you get all the advantages, and your opponent looses all his advantages.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson