Poll: is blasphemy a victim-less crime?
yes
no
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Blasphemy is a victim-less crime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2011, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2011 04:23 PM by TrainWreck.)
Blasphemy is a victim-less crime
I noticed on another atheist orientation and indoctrination website that they had a slogan - does TTA have a slogan?

Anyway, is blasphemy a victimless crime?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2011, 04:38 PM
RE: Blasphemy is a victim-less crime
oops...
My clicking process went faster then my reasoning
Blasphemy is not a victimless crime since I don't consider it a crime...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Blasphemy is not a crime. In fact, blasphemy is an illusion because it is a product of an illusion called god. The same is true of a unicorn's horn. It is a myth because it is part of a unicorn, and the unicorn is a myth.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-03-2011, 06:19 PM
(25-03-2011 04:38 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Blasphemy is not a victimless crime since I don't consider it a crime...
That's better than what I was thinking.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
25-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I would say that not only is it not a crime, aside from some 'PC' places around the world, but it has victims - theists, who get insulted by such utterances.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
25-03-2011, 06:38 PM
It's not a crime anywhere in the US. However, in countries in the Middle East it is a crime, and the only victim is the one who is punished for it.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
25-03-2011, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2011 07:35 PM by TrainWreck.)
(25-03-2011 06:38 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  It's not a crime anywhere in the US. However, in countries in the Middle East it is a crime, . . .
This is the area of reasoning that I was contemplating.

(25-03-2011 06:38 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  . . . and the only victim is the one who is punished for it.
But if the heretic is allowed to continue his blasphemy, that can possibly victimize the constituents of the ideology (religion) - the heretic can be proselytizing a more harmful ideology.

Hitler
Nixon
Raygun
Bush
Bush II
Palin
Rush Dimball
Sean Insannity
FauxNews
TrainWreck

Sure am glad they didn't lock Obama out of the WhiteHouse.

Blasphemy is always an assault on the ideology that binds the organization of people together. Blasphemy and mutiny are of the same (something related to each other some how). It's like how atheists will gang up on a Christian troll to make sure it cannot prevail on the designated forum for atheists - you know what I mean? Cause if the troll is to prevail, that deteriorates the stuff that binds the atheists together.

25-03-2011, 08:51 PM
"Blasphemy"?

[Image: inconceivable.jpg]

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
25-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Definition of BLASPHEMY
a : the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God b : the act of claiming the attributes of deity
: irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blasphemy

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
26-03-2011, 08:33 AM

To the OP question. Is Blasphemy a victimless crime?

Yes. One can not offend that which does not exist. Nor commit a crime against that which does not exist.

And one can not make victim those who believe in something that does not exist for others, when those others commit to what others define as Blasphemy against that which does not exist.

Victim
1.a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency: a victim of an automobile accident.
a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency: a victim of misplaced confidence; the victim of a swindler; a victim of an optical illusion.
3.a person or animal sacrificed or regarded as sacrificed: war victims.
4.a living creature sacrificed in religious rites.

And Trainwreck, a negative 4 reputation? Man, you suck! Tongue HAHAHAH
*watches as her own number now goes down. Wayyyyy down. Wink

(edit to add bit about crime. Forgot that in first posting.)
Quote this message in a reply