Bleach. How does it work??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Bleach. How does it work??
I mean I take a white cloth stained with blueberry juice. I put it in a jar with bleach and water. I shake for a minute and voila. Clean. I mean I get it....the cloth is bleached...but where the fuck did the colour go?? The liquid remains clear. There was a ton of purple that went into that jar. Now it's gone. Poof. Where's all the goddam purple?

Consider

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-08-2016, 11:18 AM
RE: Bleach. How does it work??
[Image: th?id=OIP.M3b6b5b4cf72d5cbcaabfdc4f05c7a...;amp;h=300]

Seriously tho I have no idea on the specifics either.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 7 users Like Loom's post
26-08-2016, 11:21 AM
(26-08-2016 11:15 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I mean I take a white cloth stained with blueberry juice. I put it in a jar with bleach and water. I shake for a minute and voila. Clean. I mean I get it....the cloth is bleached...but where the fuck did the colour go?? The liquid remains clear. There was a ton of purple that went into that jar. Now it's gone. Poof. Where's all the goddam purple?

Consider

Laugh out load Laugh out load I never gave it much thought. Consider It's pure magic.

or possibly a chemical reaction

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Read all about it!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach

Lemon juice works as well, especially on surfaces that might be damaged by bleach. Will take a red wine stain off a counter top for eg.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
26-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Cl2 + H2O ⇌ H+ + Cl− + HClO

It's dem "H" atoms.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-08-2016, 12:36 PM
(26-08-2016 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Cl2 + H2O ⇌ H+ + Cl− + HClO

It's dem "H" atoms.

Yeah? OK. But, not to sound too stupid, what do the "H" atoms do with the stain, hide it somewhere?

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-08-2016, 12:42 PM
How about with blood stains? Same thing. But the blood is still there. Mice can smell it. Years ago my brother fell down on his bicycle and hes T-Shirt was covered with blood, maybe 1/3 of the surface. We bleached it and it looked white, put it in a drawer and it didn't come out for 6 months. One day he opened the drawer and mice lied there. They had eaten a huge portion of the shirt, presumably the parts that still tasted of blood.
26-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Most reactions evolve products that are salts, thus readily soluble in water (or they would not have dissolved). These salts are almost always clear in solution. The anthocyanin that makes the color of the blueberries is broken down into salts that are not blue/purple.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
26-08-2016, 01:07 PM
(26-08-2016 01:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Most reactions evolve products that are salts, thus readily soluble in water (or they would not have dissolved). These salts are almost always clear in solution. The anthocyanin that makes the color of the blueberries is broken down into salts that are not blue/purple.

So by broken down you mean the blueberry anthocyanins turn into salts and then are sloughed off? Or do they remain in the fabric but they've become white?

26-08-2016, 01:17 PM
I must admit that I have bever really thought about bleach eithet, used it, cleaned the bog this morning!

I do know that it is corrosive, get even a dilute solution on your fingers snd it feels slippery. That's 'cos it is dissolving your skin and that is the "lubricant", the top layer sloughing off.

Put it in an aluminium dish and dangle a gold ring in it on a wire - you have a battery. The gold is ok (and very clean), it's the dish that dissolves. Not a useful battery.

But it is true that you do not lose any of the compounds in the stain. The bleach converts them into something else that can just wash away. Break the tough, stable, insoluble red haemoglobin down into simpler compounds, that dissolve more readily and, job done!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.