"Bless You" and other sayings of nonsense

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2011, 11:53 PM
RE: "Bless You" and other sayings of nonsense
It is very rare for me to use that phraseology. I came to the same conclusion as the OP in my youth - more than thirty years back - now it only occurs accidentally or as part of the known standard of courtesy in the group dynamic - like if I'm hanging with the Christian types I know.

What happened to the "other nonsense?" The snobbish retort of "I'll pray for you" makes me wanna kill. Same thing with going, "Jesus Christ!" and having some pretentious bit of fluff going - please don't use the name of my god in vain like that. That one might cause some controversy some day in my environment - cause I ain't standing for it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point of cursing. If one is heated enough "to take the Name in vain," that's proper use of scripture. Clear warning of "back off or get burned." I plan on testing that hypothesis in the field. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2011, 12:24 AM
(17-10-2011 11:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It is very rare for me to use that phraseology. I came to the same conclusion as the OP in my youth - more than thirty years back - now it only occurs accidentally or as part of the known standard of courtesy in the group dynamic - like if I'm hanging with the Christian types I know.

What happened to the "other nonsense?" The snobbish retort of "I'll pray for you" makes me wanna kill. Same thing with going, "Jesus Christ!" and having some pretentious bit of fluff going - please don't use the name of my god in vain like that. That one might cause some controversy some day in my environment - cause I ain't standing for it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point of cursing. If one is heated enough "to take the Name in vain," that's proper use of scripture. Clear warning of "back off or get burned." I plan on testing that hypothesis in the field. Tongue

Xtian: I'll pray for you.- You: Actually, I can just take some cash. 10 percent would be enough.

Xtian: Don't say god's name in vain- You- is that a log in your eye?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
18-10-2011, 01:32 AM
(18-10-2011 12:24 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Xtian: I'll pray for you.- You: Actually, I can just take some cash. 10 percent would be enough.

Xtian: Don't say god's name in vain- You- is that a log in your eye?
That's some good advice, and much nicer than I was thinking. I am actually "more tolerant" as an atheist - it's new, and the standard atheist mood seems to be happy. I just run these simulations in my head to be prepared, as most casual encounters has me in my "culturally Christian" mindset - I got no problem with people, and because I have faith (odd for an atheist, I know) there's no need for unnecessary sheep-shearing. I do not like Christianity at all - but if I meet someone who is "comfy with Jesus," I got no hate. Smile

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-10-2011, 03:51 AM
(17-10-2011 11:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Same thing with going, "Jesus Christ!" and having some pretentious bit of fluff going - please don't use the name of my god in vain like that.

I had a co-worker say that to me once. A few days later when I saw her coming up the stairs I sorta got back at her. I had noticed that at that moment one of the third grade hispanic students, whose name was Jesus, was acting up a bit. As soon as the co-worker walked into the hallway I yelled up "JESUS!" she look at me ready to give me a lecture.
I innocently pointed to Jesus and said "Hey, Jesus is acting up" She was a little flustered and never corrected me again.
[+] 1 user Likes Fox's post
18-10-2011, 05:22 AM
I use the "gesundheit" mostly, or if I think of it "You are so good lookin'!" (see the Seinfeld series, which also gave us "Festivus, the festival for the rest of us.")
[+] 1 user Likes BadKnees's post
18-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Actually I still say "bless you," partially out of habit, but now I also look for a certain opportunity. Theist often look for instances in which the non-believer "actually believes in god" and things of that nature. So honestly I'm waiting for a time when someone says "but you say 'bless you!'" so that I can ask them if they seriously believe that evil spirits live inside us and that sneezes get them out, and that by saying some magic words they won't be allowed back in.

I am also trying to figure out why the phrase "God damn it" is using "the Lord's" name in vain. Technically, isn't it just a prayer? I mean, you can say "God please bless this" or "may God bless you" but you can't say the opposite?

I think in some instances, using these phrases commonly takes the "power" away from them and that's how I try to use them.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
18-10-2011, 09:13 AM
I like to fracture and combine German and English ... as if I'm about to say "gesundheit" but instead I say; "Geshnoozetight".
I put the extra "h" after the "s" for a more plush effect, and as an homage to Dr Seuss, I've decided it means, "good & sleep tight".
I like to think language can be creative. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I think Seinfeld sums it up nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dWtK3tRpo

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
[+] 1 user Likes Mad Prophet's post
20-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Where I come from (Italy) if we say anything we say "Salute" when someone sneezes. All it means is "Good Health". I am not in the habit of saying that either but thankfully I don't have the impulse to say "Bless you" (And if I did I'd try hard to control it).

In regard to "taking the name of the Lord in vain", I would love to introduce those offended by "God Damn it" or "Jesus H. Christ" to some of the more colorful expressions of my native language.

These are uttered, by and large, by believers, or at least non-atheist. And when I say "colorful" I mean it.

One of the more frequently used, even by small children (although I don't recall hearing it on TV) is "Porco Dio" (literal translation: Pork God, but it really means "Dirty God") and its female counterpart "Porca Madonna" (where the "Dirty" part assumes a whole new meaning).
These are considered tame and in widespread use anywhere but near or in a church and are often peppered in common parlance, such as:

"Porca madonna, guarda come vai in bicicletta"
(Porca madonna, you can really pedal that bike) .

Imagine what Italians can come up with when they are really angry.

Then there are various "combo" version where a number of body parts, God, Jesus, the saints and various sexual acts and body parts are mixed and matched based on the creativity of the speaker.

There is an interesting (if limited) wikipedia article about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_profanity

If it was somehow possible to translate their meaning in English without sounding insane, any of them would gain you a lynching in many parts of the south. I am sure.
[+] 1 user Likes cconti's post