Bless you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Bless you!
*Sneeze
- "God bless you".
- "Uhm... thank you, but you don't have to say it next time".

What's your thought on the tradition of saying "Bless you"?

Announcement: "Students please stand up for the pledge"
*Stand up looking at the flag, not putting hand on heart and not saying the pledge.
5 minutes later...
- "Why didn't you put your hand on your heart and pledge?"
- "I didn't say the pledge because I don't believe that our nation is under God. I don't put my hand on my heart because it is brainwashing to make a hand sign to a flag everyday".
- "But you stood up..."
- "Because I have respect and love to our nation"

What's your thought on the pledge?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 09:22 PM
RE: Bless you!
'Bless you' is more habit than anything else.

As for the pledge I just don't say 'under God'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
02-06-2016, 09:24 PM
No idea about your pledge...... but when folks here sneeze I generally reply with,

"Curse you. I like to keep everything ballanced." Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
02-06-2016, 09:31 PM
These were things that bothered me in school.

For the pledge, I would usually stand, but either not recite, or leave out under god.

If somebody says Bless you, I remain silent. It's probably rude of me, but I find it imposing to expect me to react to any religious ritual I didn't ask for.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-06-2016, 01:31 AM
"Bless you": I don't care.

The Pledge: I refuse to pledge allegiance to any flag, even the flag under which I served. I swore my oath to the Constitution, not a flagpole rag. The finger pointing at the moon is not the moon. The symbol is not the substance.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-06-2016, 05:55 AM
I ignore the 'bless you' responses as it generally seems to be more a reflex response than an actual invocation. I don't say it if others sneeze just like I don't acknowledge coughs. I'm hoping the practice fades as the number of atheists rises but it's too small an issue to worry about.

As far as the pledge goes, the 'under god' is clearly unconstitutional in my opinion but I am against requiring school kids to recite any sort of oath of allegiance to anything. Allegiance is something that needs to be earned and given with full understanding and not just drilled into people through early indoctrination.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
03-06-2016, 06:44 AM
It's "Gesundheit", not bless you. Gesundheit means "good health". I even taught my parrots to say that when I sneeze.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
03-06-2016, 07:31 AM
What is this "pledge" you speak of...........?

[Image: Pledge-Clean-Shine-Furniture-Polish-12.5-oz.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 4 users Like Silly Deity's post
03-06-2016, 07:44 AM
When you look into the origins of people saying bless you, I think you'll find it more insulting to your common sense than your disbelief in any god. I don't say it because it's fucking stoopid. Instead, if they are a family member, I tell them I love them. At first it got a chuckle, now everyone loves that I tell them I love them. If a stranger sneezes, I don't say anything.

Here is my blog post on it from years ago: http://aisforatheist.blogspot.com/2014/0...s-you.html

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
03-06-2016, 07:45 AM
I just ignore the "bless you", I can't remember the last time the pledge was said in my presence.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post