Bless you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 01:43 PM
RE: Bless you!
(02-06-2016 09:18 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  What's your thought on the tradition of saying "Bless you"?

I've actually "trained" myself in atheism. For instance, random pronunciations of oh my god have been replaced with oh my Gwynnies. You can do it - it's possible.

My bestie says "bless you" to the dog. Rolleyes

We argue. She says it's "merely polite." I say it perpetuates a dangerous religious stereotype having no place in the modern world. I also say that calling attention to a person blowing chunks at 200 mph into the personal environment is the opposite of polite.

When somebody farts, do you say "bless you?"

(02-06-2016 09:18 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  What's your thought on the pledge?

Tempest in a teacup. Calls attention to imbalance, but I ain't really got a dog in that fight.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
(03-06-2016 01:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  When somebody farts, do you say "bless you?"

Absolutely, well, actually I say "mercy" .... Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Usually I say "cover your mouth, asshole."

If congress wants to write oaths let them take them.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-06-2016, 04:01 PM
(03-06-2016 06:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's "Gesundheit", not bless you. Gesundheit means "good health". I even taught my parrots to say that when I sneeze.

Indeed, English is the only European language with which I am familiar in which we "bless" people.

The French say "à tes souhaits" ("to your wishes"), though some (including my Cajun family) use "salut", which means "health" (but is in sort of a "raising a toast" kind of way), the Spanish say "salud", and the Israelis/Jews say "l'chaim", which means "to life".

I tend to use the German, despite my French background, because most people recognize the phrase, and it lets me avoid pretending to invoke a divine spell of warding/protection against the evil demons of disease.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-06-2016, 04:07 PM

I used to stand, hold my hand over my heart and recite the original pledge: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Mainly just to fuck with my teachers. Used to piss the teachers off to no end.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-06-2016, 04:17 PM
(03-06-2016 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I used to stand, hold my hand over my heart and recite the original pledge: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Mainly just to fuck with my teachers. Used to piss the teachers off to no end.

I was honestly enraged when I learned that the Pledge did not originally say "under God", because I realized that the Knights of Columbus (who petitioned for the change, during the "Red Scare" of the early 1950s) had literally divided the phrase "one nation indivisible" by inserting the "under God" theocratic phrasing in the middle of it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-06-2016, 06:45 PM
I don't say anything. If it is a bad sneeze I may say "Are you alright?"

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-06-2016, 11:57 PM
(03-06-2016 10:21 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I stand corrected.

I respect any person who takes correction with grace ... especially online. Kudos, good man.
03-06-2016, 11:58 PM
When someone sneezes around me, if I say anything, I say, "Salud."
04-06-2016, 01:26 PM
(03-06-2016 11:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 10:21 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I stand corrected.

I respect any person who takes correction with grace ... especially online. Kudos, good man.

I've been wrong before, and i'll be wrong again. I check the facts if i'm called out of something. How else will I be able to come to a better understanding on anything. I want to know as many true things as possible.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post