Blind Faith is a Sickness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Blind Faith is a Sickness
So…talking (arguing) with a Christian fundie over the past several weeks (three 45 minute sessions). He’s certain that god exists…period. First he started with the classic fundie arguments, all easily taken apart as you know. He acknowledged every tactical defeat to his credit, but he didn’t argue too aggressively. After many hours we covered extensive ground, then he made his final stand and here it is, “You would know that god exists if you were not so wrapped up in human arguments. If you truthfully seek god with your whole hart he will come to you. You cannot know god unless you open your mind to the possibility that he does exist.” That hit me between the eyes like a bolt of lightning. I finally understand the delusion that the fundie suffers. When he said this I saw the look in his eyes. It was the glassed over crazy look like he was strung out on some designer drug. He was HIGH ON GOD, or high on the belief in god. This is a mental disease and a complete and total loss of objective reality. I now realized that I have never truly been religious. I once did believe in a god, but grew out of it. This guy will not grow out of it. He is completely insane. I now understand the martyr. Scary stuff.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
25-10-2012, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2012 09:44 PM by amyb.)
RE: Blind Faith is a Sickness
Regarding being high on god, I know that look, too.

In college, for one semester, I had a fundie roommate. If she did not attend church AT LEAST 3x/week, she would start bugging out and crying. I often compared it to drug withdrawals, but I'm sure it was some kind of neurochemical high she got. Once she was on the phone crying saying she "needed to be in the presence of the LORD" or she just couldn't cope. She went into some scary ecstatic state when talking about Jesus.

The crazy was so strong with her that it scared the shit outta me.

She was also very judgmental. She used to like to watch Americal Idol, but if any contestants were gay or unmarried mothers, she'd freak out and go on about how wrong it is because God says so.
Quote: “You would know that god exists if you were not so wrapped up in human arguments. If you truthfully seek god with your whole hart he will come to you. You cannot know god unless you open your mind to the possibility that he does exist.”
A religious cousin of mine said all of that to me. That I needed to take a "leap of faith" (why?) and I was close-minded and not curious about the world, and if I just invited God into my life, he'd come to me. Then she said to call her back when I've found Jesus. Well, needless to say, I haven't phoned her back.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
09-08-2013, 04:39 PM
(25-10-2012 07:20 PM)Thomas Wrote:  This guy will not grow out of it. He is completely insane. I now understand the martyr. Scary stuff.

Completely insane? Probably. Never grow out of it? Not necessarily. Don't underestimate the power of disillusionment. It can be as powerful as delusion... but don't hold your breath.

Science is dissecting the sacred cow.[Image: smartass.gif]
26-08-2013, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 04:37 AM by excubitor.)
There is no getting around it. We are Christian because we believe by faith.
What is faith? According to the book of Hebrews faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. by faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

This is the paradigm by which a Christian lives. It is the complete antithesis of the atheist who will not believe anything which he has not seen with his own eyes or has not had a peer reviewed scientific paper written about it.

So there can never be any meeting of the minds of atheist and Christian. All debate is futile because the very foundation by which a debate might be judged are completely different from the other side.

In a sense, all faith is blind. The scripture says "The just live by faith not by sight". If all things which are to be believed could be sensed then there would be no need of faith. Yet God in his wisdom loves the humble and trusting heart which is inclined to believe. He detests the hard heart which will not believe no matter what convincing is given it. As an example, The Israelites in the wilderness saw with their own eyes the wonderful miracles of God and yet their hearts were hardened. They would not trust in God or believe his promises.

Having said that, what is meant by the term blind faith is a kind of brainwashing that throws out all reason in order to be immersed in some compelling and fatuous notion. I admit that there are some that call themselves Christian which are in this sorry state. Usually these are pseudo-Christian cults or evangelicals. The orthodox Christian faith is nothing like this however and has always promoted the use of reason in all fields of human endeavor. Truth is truth whether it is derived from the physical senses or by divine revelation which comes by the scripture and the Church. The trouble is that the physical senses can be deceived. The physical senses are easily manipulated with false data, deceptive arguments, smoke and mirrors. This is why magic shows are so successful because of the extreme vulnerability of the human senses and perceptions to be distorted and twisted.

On the other hand, those who humble themselves and trust in the authority of the Church and its interpretation of the Holy Scriptures, they cannot be deceived because they have built their house on the Rock. Men who trust in the changeable shifting notions of human senses and sciences are building their lives upon the sand. Such men will not endure but will be swept away by all manner of vain and empty notions and precepts to the destruction of their souls.
26-08-2013, 09:13 AM
(26-08-2013 04:25 AM)excubitor Wrote:  There is no getting around it. We are Christian because we believe by faith.
What is faith? According to the book of Hebrews faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. by faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

This is the paradigm by which a Christian lives. It is the complete antithesis of the atheist who will not believe anything which he has not seen with his own eyes or has not had a peer reviewed scientific paper written about it.

So there can never be any meeting of the minds of atheist and Christian. All debate is futile because the very foundation by which a debate might be judged are completely different from the other side.

In a sense, all faith is blind. The scripture says "The just live by faith not by sight". If all things which are to be believed could be sensed then there would be no need of faith. Yet God in his wisdom loves the humble and trusting heart which is inclined to believe. He detests the hard heart which will not believe no matter what convincing is given it. As an example, The Israelites in the wilderness saw with their own eyes the wonderful miracles of God and yet their hearts were hardened. They would not trust in God or believe his promises.

Having said that, what is meant by the term blind faith is a kind of brainwashing that throws out all reason in order to be immersed in some compelling and fatuous notion. I admit that there are some that call themselves Christian which are in this sorry state. Usually these are pseudo-Christian cults or evangelicals. The orthodox Christian faith is nothing like this however and has always promoted the use of reason in all fields of human endeavor. Truth is truth whether it is derived from the physical senses or by divine revelation which comes by the scripture and the Church. The trouble is that the physical senses can be deceived. The physical senses are easily manipulated with false data, deceptive arguments, smoke and mirrors. This is why magic shows are so successful because of the extreme vulnerability of the human senses and perceptions to be distorted and twisted.

On the other hand, those who humble themselves and trust in the authority of the Church and its interpretation of the Holy Scriptures, they cannot be deceived because they have built their house on the Rock. Men who trust in the changeable shifting notions of human senses and sciences are building their lives upon the sand. Such men will not endure but will be swept away by all manner of vain and empty notions and precepts to the destruction of their souls.

We note your nonsense argument and are unconvinced. Revelation, divine or otherwise, is not truth. It is delusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-08-2013, 02:09 PM
(26-08-2013 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  We note your nonsense argument and are unconvinced. Revelation, divine or otherwise, is not truth. It is delusion.

Revelation is all about truth. And it don't come easy or free. It requires hard work.
And it's got nothing to with religion, but it's not so clear it's got nothing to do with the divine. Tongue

[Image: euler2-1.jpg]

Girly's still working on grokking this going on a couple years now. I WILL grok it goddammit.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
26-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Dear Theists,

Faith, religion. A brilliant scheme to control people. Christianity, for example, is based on - no, plagerised from - the religions of people before Christianity was invented. Watch Zeitgeist. The story of Jesus is one based on the solar cycle, a parable of the stars in the sky from an ignorant and early people. The Sun (Son) of "God". 'Blind faith' can be damaging. It IS damaging and demands ignorance to the real world.

Rather than go on blind faith and believe something that someone has told you is 'true', find out for yourself. It's not like the resources aren't out there.

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
26-08-2013, 04:49 PM
(26-08-2013 02:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  We note your nonsense argument and are unconvinced. Revelation, divine or otherwise, is not truth. It is delusion.

Revelation is all about truth. And it don't come easy or free. It requires hard work.
And it's got nothing to with religion, but it's not so clear it's got nothing to do with the divine. Tongue

[Image: euler2-1.jpg]

Girly's still working on grokking this going on a couple years now. I WILL grok it goddammit.

Are you confusing inspiration with revelation? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-08-2013, 05:02 PM
(26-08-2013 04:25 AM)excubitor Wrote:  On the other hand, those who humble themselves and trust in the authority of the Church and its interpretation of the Holy Scriptures, they cannot be deceived because they have built their house on the Rock.

But, but..... (faints) Shocking

I don't know where to begin to explain how this is not only wrong but quite dangerous.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-08-2013, 06:55 PM
(26-08-2013 05:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 04:25 AM)excubitor Wrote:  On the other hand, those who humble themselves and trust in the authority of the Church and its interpretation of the Holy Scriptures, they cannot be deceived because they have built their house on the Rock.

But, but..... (faints) Shocking

I don't know where to begin to explain how this is not only wrong but quite dangerous.

Angel are protecting you. The rock is the Lord. and there is nothing dangerous about him.

Breathing - it's more art than science.