Blindness and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Blindness and Atheism
Hey so I just left NFB (National Federation of the Blind) and most people in that organization are blind or visually impaired, ( not that they don't take sighted members). But as a blind person I don't religious blind people! You'd think they'd be the world's biggest skeptics?! Never trust anything unless you can call Houston and have lift off, right? Make sure everything solid and authentic before sale. I don't get.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2013, 05:39 AM
RE: Blindness and Atheism
(15-07-2013 05:34 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Hey so I just left NFB (National Federation of the Blind) and most people in that organization are blind or visually impaired, ( not that they don't take sighted members). But as a blind person I don't religious blind people! You'd think they'd be the world's biggest skeptics?! Never trust anything unless you can call Houston and have lift off, right? Make sure everything solid and authentic before sale. I don't get.

Impressive that you are using this foum effectively as a blind person. Must have been a little bit of trouble to get the account started, though once you are going with the right template it is easier.

I would recommend the mobile template for you since your screen reader would have less stuff to read out.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
15-07-2013, 07:27 AM
(15-07-2013 05:39 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 05:34 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Hey so I just left NFB (National Federation of the Blind) and most people in that organization are blind or visually impaired, ( not that they don't take sighted members). But as a blind person I don't religious blind people! You'd think they'd be the world's biggest skeptics?! Never trust anything unless you can call Houston and have lift off, right? Make sure everything solid and authentic before sale. I don't get.

Impressive that you are using this foum effectively as a blind person. Must have been a little bit of trouble to get the account started, though once you are going with the right template it is easier.

I would recommend the mobile template for you since your screen reader would have less stuff to read out.
I usually use my iPad or iPhone for this site or any site with a forum (my whole Internet life lol) with voice over
15-07-2013, 07:33 AM
My biggest problem with NFB was that while they were doing good, they had a heavy Christian slant to their political activities yet they get state and federal help all the time. I'm not sure if it's only the StonesRiver branch doing this but somehow I think not.
15-07-2013, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2013 01:17 PM by Logica Humano.)
(15-07-2013 07:33 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My biggest problem with NFB was that while they were doing good, they had a heavy Christian slant to their political activities yet they get state and federal help all the time. I'm not sure if it's only the StonesRiver branch doing this but somehow I think not.

Something that annoys me about Christian charity groups is that, in their active search for converts, they prey on people who they believe need their help believing they will score an easy follower in the process. To me, it is despicable.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
15-07-2013, 08:26 AM
(15-07-2013 07:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 07:33 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My biggest problem with NFB was that while they were doing good, they had a heavy Christian slant to their political activities yet they get state and federal help all the time. I'm not sure if it's only the StonesRiver branch doing this but somehow I think not.

Something that annoys me about Christian charity groups is that, in their active search for converts, they pray on people who they believe need their help believing they will score an easy follower in the process. To me, it is despicable.

They pray for people; they prey on people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
15-07-2013, 08:47 AM
I've heard similar to what you're saying, Quill. The quote was about how if a person was being sold a car, they'd want to know if it was in good order, how many miles it had on it, did it pass a road test and so on and so forth. But when it comes to religion, heck, Jesus is my copilot! I don't need none of that actual 'proof'.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
15-07-2013, 11:44 AM
The Infidel Guy Show podcast has an episode where he interviews a blind atheist - you might want to check it out (if you're) not the chap he interviewed, that is).
15-07-2013, 12:07 PM
(15-07-2013 07:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Something that annoys me about Christian charity groups is that, in their active search for converts, they pray on people who they believe need their help believing they will score an easy follower in the process. To me, it is despicable.

That is so true. What's worse? They really believe its their "duty" to do it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-07-2013, 12:17 AM
welcome to the club, I only count as "legally blind", I have little eyesight though. What fucks me up about charities is not only their search for converts, but this pitiful attitude they have towards blind people, or disabled people in general. They assume, we're just fuckups who just can't enjoy life and be happy, so we need imaginary sky daddy to guide us through. It's so pathetic. Sad

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)