Blog or Forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Blog or Forum?
I've been wondering about my forum, and I thought I would post this here to get some experienced feedback:

Would I be better to have a Veridican blog or keep the Veridican forum going?

A blog is more limited, but would show more "current" activity. With a forum, it takes a lot of content to keep from looking "dead."

But one could argue, why have a blog if you already have a functioning forum?

Any suggestions?
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 03:48 PM
RE: Blog or Forum?
Why not both? With that you can merge whichever one you like best into the other if you find one better suited to your presentation needs.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Depends upon your verbosity, Big E. "Both" is the preferred option, but if you want a lively forum, you're gonna hafta thicken the ol' skin. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Hard to attract people to a forum.

A quality blog - people might follow that out of interest and it's less work. Also you can say what *you* want and you don't have the stress of moderating or being the admin. Even a few people commenting makes a blog look alive whereas it takes many times that number for a forum.

Of course you're the one most qualified to answer your question, because you've had both and experienced the running of both.
13-04-2013, 04:11 PM
You are one person. This forum wouldnt exist if Seth had to do everything himself. Seth has a whole team of people to help him. Someone for his facebook page, someone for his blog comments, a group of us for the forum, etc.

Id say go with a blog and shutdown the forum. When you gain enough converts you can start a forum since there will be demand for it.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
13-04-2013, 04:29 PM
(13-04-2013 04:11 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  You are one person. This forum wouldnt exist if Seth had to do everything himself. Seth has a whole team of people to help him. Someone for his facebook page, someone for his blog comments, a group of us for the forum, etc.

Id say go with a blog and shutdown the forum. When you gain enough converts you can start a forum since there will be demand for it.

This ^

Or a Blogorum.

Or would it be a Forblogum?

Do you have a Veridiculous Facebook and YouTube page? The moar "cross"-promotion, the better. Maybe your wife runs the FB page while you do YouTube vlogs and a written blog. When you start gaining minions, you can have your lackeys monitor your YouTube page and focus on your blog.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-04-2013, 09:32 PM

(13-04-2013 03:48 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Why not both? With that you can merge whichever one you like best into the other if you find one better suited to your presentation needs.

Yeah, I can see that. Start a blog and see how it goes. Thanks.

(13-04-2013 03:57 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Depends upon your verbosity, Big E. "Both" is the preferred option, but if you want a lively forum, you're gonna hafta thicken the ol' skin. Thumbsup

Well, that's the other issue: Am I really willing to run a forum? Here at TTA, I'm allowed to post and atheists can post, etc., and people can say what they want. But in my forum, I'm not sure I can do that, because I have to think about what image I'm presenting for the Church. If I don't allow some serious freedom of speech, my forum is garbage. But if I tolerate blasphemy, what does that say about me as a loyal Veridican? And I'm not arguing the right or wrong either way, I'm just wondering if I'm really "qualified" to run a forum--as opposed to a blog.
13-04-2013, 09:37 PM

(13-04-2013 04:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hard to attract people to a forum.

A quality blog - people might follow that out of interest and it's less work. Also you can say what *you* want and you don't have the stress of moderating or being the admin. Even a few people commenting makes a blog look alive whereas it takes many times that number for a forum.

I think you've pretty much hit it on the head. Thanks.

Quote:Of course you're the one most qualified to answer your question, because you've had both and experienced the running of both.

Well, and from a mercenary point of view, it's easier to advertise on a blog. A three-column WordPress blog gives a lot of room to advertise books, videos, links to other forums, whatever.

(13-04-2013 04:11 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  You are one person. This forum wouldnt exist if Seth had to do everything himself. Seth has a whole team of people to help him. Someone for his facebook page, someone for his blog comments, a group of us for the forum, etc.

Wow. I had never thought of it from that angle, to be quite honest. But you're absolutely right. Thanks.
13-04-2013, 09:38 PM
(13-04-2013 09:32 PM)Egor Wrote:  If I don't allow some serious freedom of speech, my forum is garbage. But if I tolerate blasphemy, what does that say about me as a loyal Veridican? And I'm not arguing the right or wrong either way, I'm just wondering if I'm really "qualified" to run a forum--as opposed to a blog.

On all the blogs I follow people can still post comments. I think you could use the fact that someone blasphemes as a teaching moment instead of a torching moment don't you think?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-04-2013, 01:21 AM
(13-04-2013 09:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  On all the blogs I follow people can still post comments. I think you could use the fact that someone blasphemes as a teaching moment instead of a torching moment don't you think?

But where's the fun in that ? Big Grin