Blood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 01:06 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
Blood
So I totally don't understand the point of animal sacrifice in the Bible what does God do exactly with the dead bodies and the blood or whatever? I mean yes I know they have to burn it and everything but after that I'm just confused. Does God need to eat it or something? Is it fueling his omniscience? And does he ever truly specifically explain why seafood pork and plants are all bad sacrifices?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 12:56 AM
RE: Blood
Bronze age peasants and nobles all thought Blood was magic juju juice that powers the body, full of soul power spirit and what not.

Jehovahs and Muslims still think its magic juice and forbid its consumption, lest you get taken over by the spirit of the blood owner. but at least the Muslims allow transfusion.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
12-12-2013, 10:22 AM
(11-12-2013 11:39 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  So I totally don't understand the point of animal sacrifice in the Bible what does God do exactly with the dead bodies and the blood or whatever? I mean yes I know they have to burn it and everything but after that I'm just confused. Does God need to eat it or something? Is it fueling his omniscience? And does he ever truly specifically explain why seafood pork and plants are all bad sacrifices?

If I remember my college course on the Old Testament --- One of the reasons ANY animal sacrifice was Soooooo special was that people were likely starving. SO giving up something as precious as meat that could feed a few households and have it ONLY given to God........well, that was major. Different cultures had different ways of dealing with the blood and carcass but no sacrifice was allowed consumption - which was rather the point. No god did not drink the blood nor consume the meat. It was to give up something precious to pay homage or show undeniable loyalty. Sacrifice transmuted over time -- like Catholics and Lent and methodists believe they must make some small sacrifice each day to show honor. The amish must suffer inconveniences of daily life etc..........

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
12-12-2013, 10:34 AM
(12-12-2013 10:22 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 11:39 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  So I totally don't understand the point of animal sacrifice in the Bible what does God do exactly with the dead bodies and the blood or whatever? I mean yes I know they have to burn it and everything but after that I'm just confused. Does God need to eat it or something? Is it fueling his omniscience? And does he ever truly specifically explain why seafood pork and plants are all bad sacrifices?

If I remember my college course on the Old Testament --- One of the reasons ANY animal sacrifice was Soooooo special was that people were likely starving. SO giving up something as precious as meat that could feed a few households and have it ONLY given to God........well, that was major. Different cultures had different ways of dealing with the blood and carcass but no sacrifice was allowed consumption - which was rather the point. No god did not drink the blood nor consume the meat. It was to give up something precious to pay homage or show undeniable loyalty. Sacrifice transmuted over time -- like Catholics and Lent and methodists believe they must make some small sacrifice each day to show honor. The amish must suffer inconveniences of daily life etc..........
so basically they throw away perfectly get food and starve yeah makes total sense
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2013, 10:40 AM
(12-12-2013 10:34 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 10:22 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If I remember my college course on the Old Testament --- One of the reasons ANY animal sacrifice was Soooooo special was that people were likely starving. SO giving up something as precious as meat that could feed a few households and have it ONLY given to God........well, that was major. Different cultures had different ways of dealing with the blood and carcass but no sacrifice was allowed consumption - which was rather the point. No god did not drink the blood nor consume the meat. It was to give up something precious to pay homage or show undeniable loyalty. Sacrifice transmuted over time -- like Catholics and Lent and methodists believe they must make some small sacrifice each day to show honor. The amish must suffer inconveniences of daily life etc..........
so basically they throw away perfectly get food and starve yeah makes total sense
yup, pretty much.
A sacrifice would also insure more favorable crops and more animals to hunt or domesticate and also so the volcano won't erupt. Virgins usually did the trick.
Gods don't bleed, there is that too.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
(12-12-2013 10:34 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 10:22 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If I remember my college course on the Old Testament --- One of the reasons ANY animal sacrifice was Soooooo special was that people were likely starving. SO giving up something as precious as meat that could feed a few households and have it ONLY given to God........well, that was major. Different cultures had different ways of dealing with the blood and carcass but no sacrifice was allowed consumption - which was rather the point. No god did not drink the blood nor consume the meat. It was to give up something precious to pay homage or show undeniable loyalty. Sacrifice transmuted over time -- like Catholics and Lent and methodists believe they must make some small sacrifice each day to show honor. The amish must suffer inconveniences of daily life etc..........

But .... but........... it's for G.O.D. dude.......... *blink blink* so erm........ a yeah.

12-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Also, the OT mentions that the odor of the burnt offerings is pleasing to the Lord.

(Genesis 8:20-21 and Numbers 29:2 at a minimum from a quick Google search)
12-12-2013, 01:49 PM
This is admittedly pure speculation on my part, but I think it makes logical sense and I would love to know if there is any information to support it or refute it. I haven't found anything so far at all.

Back in neanderthal times, life probably consisted mostly of hunting, eating, sleeping, sex, and maybe some playing. They most likely had some thoughts about a god because how else would they explain the sun, moon, wind, etc? In trying to attain the god or gods approval (cuz they didn't want those lightning bolts coming their way Tongue ), they may have thought about offering a gift to the god(s). Probably the most valuable gift they could give would have been food. That could have been the way slaughtering animals as a gift to a god began. Over the years, as life got more complex, the original reason was probably forgotten. Then they would have offered slaughtered animals because it's what had always been done. And, with the loss of the real meaning, the concept may have been embellished with the other details posters have already mentioned like the magic of blood or the pleasing quality of burnt offerings for the god.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
12-12-2013, 01:56 PM
There are a number of different offerings described in the OT. The burnt offering was completely destroyed. Most others were eaten by the priests and/or the person offering it and his family.

Offerings were not intended to create hardship. The poor could generally substitute an inexpensive offering.
12-12-2013, 02:01 PM
(12-12-2013 01:56 PM)alpha male Wrote:  There are a number of different offerings described in the OT. The burnt offering was completely destroyed. Most others were eaten by the priests and/or the person offering it and his family.

Offerings were not intended to create hardship. The poor could generally substitute an inexpensive offering.

Wow - it's just so weird how much of my college courses on the OT and NT was apparently wrong. And a Baptist College at that.ShockingShocking

this just sucks

or

maybe I just have dementia & this is a case of DisRemembering material