Blood Moons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2016, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 11:22 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: Blood Moons
(06-09-2016 10:53 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Blood moons and other such natural phenomena were confusing and scary to people back in ancient times because they didn't understand them. With many things that weren't understood yet they were attributed to a god or gods. Now these things have scientific explanations. Some people hold onto the old beliefs out of ignorance or fear or both.

When you see these thing talked about you can easily look up what's really going on...just stay away from religious sites who will only further confuse things as they want to keep the fear and ignorance going.

Do you still believe in Santa Claus? I would assume not. Once you learn the truth about things then you can let go of the BS.

Good grief...what religious sect were you raised in that causes you so much fear and anxiety?

Well said, Anjele!

On the other hand, if you aren't good then Santa will see you... when you're sleeping and when you're awake. He knows! And if you're not good, he'll put you on the Naughty List™, and it's no more presents for you, just lumps of coal.

Why take the chance by disbelieving? Wink

Seriously, I'm amazed people don't see the parallels between this simple story we tell our children to entice them to behave in order to be rewarded (or punished... the "Grampus" derivative of the story is supposedly a horrible anti-Santa that destroys really naughty children) and the more complex story our priests tell both children and adults in order to entice them to behave in a particular way.

"Sees you when you're sleeping; knows when you're awake" = Omniscient God

"He knows if you've been bad or good" = The judgment of the God of Perfect Justice™

"Santa Claus is coming to town" = Jesus will return in glory to judge the quick and the dead, et cetera.

When you get down to the level of their mystical "signs and portents", it's incredible to see the parallels between Christian theology and that of any number of other religions who look to the sky, to natural disasters, and other events they couldn't explain in order to make them suit their version of God's "divine purpose".

Here's a favorite factoid of mine... I'll quote a major Christian website, so you can see it's not my biased view of it, but the short version is that people in Europe were so terrified of the turn of the first millennium that they gathered in Vatican City en masse, expecting the return of Jesus. When that didn't happen, they went out and started building cathedrals to thank God for not destroying us all, yadda yadda.

According to Christianity.com and their rose-colored-glasses version:

A thousand years ago as the world approached the year 1000 there were dire predictions that the millennial year would mark the end of the world. But the year 1000 came and the world did not end. Something else began -- the greatest advance in the building of centers of worship that the world has even seen.

Cathedrals began to arise across Europe that stand majestically till this day. It would be fascinating to know what percentage of the economy of their time that church building represented. Beyond doubt, it would be staggering to compare what it would mean if a similar percentage of our economy were devoted to the honor and worship of God. Between 1050 and 1350 in France alone, over 500 large churches were built and 1,000 parish churches, so that there was a church or chapel for every 200 people. During the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, more stone was quarried in France for building churches than had been used in all the buildings of ancient Egypt.

But the simple fact is that no year, and certainly no comet, planet, "blood" moon, harvest moon, crescent moon, or any other celestial body is a portent of anything. They're just stuff floating about above our atmosphere, and our calendar is an arbitrary counting system that the Western world put together without bothering to consult the Mayans/Aztecs/Inca, the Chinese, or any other time-keeping civilization (including, ironically, the Jews, for whom today is the 2nd day of Elul, in the year 5776).

The simple fact is that when people are afraid, they turn off their reasoning circuits as self-protection circuits kick in. It's a great irony, to me, that the people who are most likely to deny evolution are exploiting an evolutionary survival circuit in our brains in order to propagate their nonsense.

TL;dr version - The story of Santa Claus is just as real as any element of religious myth, and they're all designed to frighten us into blind obedience rather than employing our natural state of critical thinking.

[Edited to fix a few spelling errors... self-grammar-nazi!]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-09-2016, 11:12 AM
(06-09-2016 10:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 10:44 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I swear, I am just perpetually confused on TTA. I thought the moon was made of CHEESE, and now I find out it's blood. How in the world do you guys keep all this stuff straight?

The Scots have blood pudding and the Kilngons have blood wine so maybe it is blood cheese...

[Image: blood_cheese_by_rongs1234-d2ygsmj.jpg]
Hmmm, I can see holes in that theory . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
06-09-2016, 11:13 AM
(06-09-2016 11:07 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  baptist..
in georgia

the only thing they preach on is the end of the world. i learned about the other things in awanas and childrens church.
big church is the end of the world.

Me, too. This is the church in which I grew up:

[Image: Church-Exterior-960x350.jpg]

First Baptist Church of Saint Simon's Island, Georgia.

http://fbcssi.org/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-09-2016, 11:14 AM
(06-09-2016 11:12 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 10:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The Scots have blood pudding and the Kilngons have blood wine so maybe it is blood cheese...

[Image: blood_cheese_by_rongs1234-d2ygsmj.jpg]
Hmmm, I can see holes in that theory . . .

But it goes such a long whey towards explaining it...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-09-2016, 11:20 AM
(06-09-2016 11:14 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:12 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Hmmm, I can see holes in that theory . . .

But it goes such a long whey towards explaining it...

Are we seriously doing the cheese puns again? What's wrong with this forum? Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
06-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Quote:i think ill have to do away with facebook all together.. or until i can get my mind to not panic so much.
it wasnt even a christian site that posted it.. its actually someone i thought wasnt religious. i think she was just posting it for the fun of a blood moon.. she didnt even look to see that it was dated for last year.
just when you click the pictures it shows the original comments off to the right so you cant miss them.

Jewel, hon...you have GOT to find a way to see this stuff for what it is. Just silly mythology and fantasy designed to control the masses and take their money. Those people are NOTHING...LESS than nothing. Seriously.

I wish there was a button I could click for you to make that stuff not happen to you, but the reality is, it took time to make you believe this crap, so it will take time to break that belief system down. I'm glad you're on the right path, but it just frustrates the hell out of me. I want to go stomp those idiots into little greasy spots, and I want to wipe all that BS from your mind. You need it, though, to learn from.

But it is up to you, all others can do is offer support, which you have. Just keep trying to see this idiocy through a clear glass, with no distortions. When you finally do, you will laugh your ass off and wonder what in the hell you were thinking before, I promise. It really is lunacy. Blink
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
06-09-2016, 11:26 AM
(06-09-2016 11:20 AM)Aliza Wrote:  What's wrong with this forum? Tongue

How much time do you have? This list may take a while! Tongue

[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-09-2016, 11:31 AM
One google search reveals this fact.

JA. Grow up!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Be nice, Banjo. Not everyone's a tough-as-nails Aussie who's Seen Some Shit™ and laughed about it. Tongue

Seriously, try to imagine growing up in the Deep South-est part of the Deep South, in a fundamentalist church in Georgia. They deliberately terrify little children in order to get them to obey the buy-bull stories.

It's designed from the outset to break the will and subvert the rationality process. The scars that this indoctrination leaves can be very tough on people with kind hearts and vivid imaginations.

06-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Quote:[i]A thousand years ago as the world approached the year 1000 there were dire predictions that the millennial year would mark the end of the world. But the year 1000 came and the world did not end. Something else began -- the greatest advance in the building of centers of worship that the world has even seen.

Cathedrals began to arise across Europe that stand majestically till this day. It would be fascinating to know what percentage of the economy of their time that church building represented. Beyond doubt, it would be staggering to compare what it would mean if a similar percentage of our economy were devoted to the honor and worship of God.

I've often thought that this period made the masses accustomed to giving large amounts of money to the church, which made the priests see that they could wield extraordinary power and influence by tapping into that and expanding upon it- and thus the TV evangelist is born. (eventually, of course)
I think this is where the tide of religion turned, from a predominantly fear-based form of self protection, led, by and large, by believers, to a political force that used it's power and influence to steer the people in whatever direction it found most profitable, while God slowly died off in the upper echelons of the church, replaced by Greed.