Blood Moons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2016, 02:33 PM
RE: Blood Moons
(06-09-2016 10:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 10:44 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I swear, I am just perpetually confused on TTA. I thought the moon was made of CHEESE, and now I find out it's blood. How in the world do you guys keep all this stuff straight?

The Scots have blood pudding and the Kilngons have blood wine so maybe it is blood cheese...

[Image: blood_cheese_by_rongs1234-d2ygsmj.jpg]

Bloody Cheesus Christ

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2016, 02:50 PM
(06-09-2016 02:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 10:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The Scots have blood pudding and the Kilngons have blood wine so maybe it is blood cheese...

[Image: blood_cheese_by_rongs1234-d2ygsmj.jpg]

Bloody Cheesus Christ
If the image shown is accurate that should perhaps be:

"Holey Bloody Cheesus Christ"

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
06-09-2016, 03:01 PM
(06-09-2016 10:18 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 10:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  There are a couple of apocalyptic biblical prophecies [sic] foretelling that the moon will turn to blood at the endtimes.

Joel 2:30-31 —"And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come".

Revelation 6:12 —"And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood".

We know the effect as a lunar eclipse.

Sleepy

Yeah I know the verses I'm just curious why they used these as a sign?

Likely because what they were describing were lunar and solar eclipses. They're profoundly moving today and we know what's going on. Back in the day people used to have their hearts ripped out to ensure that the sun would come back and if you think that Christianity is that far removed from human sacrifice then you've forgotten what Abraham and Isaac were doing up the mountain.

(06-09-2016 11:10 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  i think ill have to do away with facebook all together.. or until i can get my mind to not panic so much.
it wasnt even a christian site that posted it.. its actually someone i thought wasnt religious. i think she was just posting it for the fun of a blood moon.. she didnt even look to see that it was dated for last year.
just when you click the pictures it shows the original comments off to the right so you cant miss them.

Honestly, I'd have posted the same stuff, expect I'd have included observing tips and gotten the date right. Lunar eclipses are pretty damned cool. They're the sort of thing that should be wonderous for children, not terrifying. Take it as a good sign that the panic didn't overwhelm you.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
06-09-2016, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 04:11 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(06-09-2016 11:07 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:00 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Christianity. Dodgy Just Christianity.

baptist..
in georgia

the only thing they preach on is the end of the world. i learned about the other things in awanas and childrens church.
big church is the end of the world.
Fellow former Baptist, sounds about right. Lots of hellfire until we got a more liberal "God is love" minister; and Sunday School when I was 5 or 6, I remember them having us hand over our Bibles and tell us to write, chapter and verse, anything we could remember, because we were told (not told it was pretend until after) that the Bible had been outlawed by the government, and we had to write down what we knew to pass it on to future generations in secret. Only after we were done (with a few folks in tears), did they tell us it was pretend, and that we were being taught what it was like for people in other countries like the (then recently defunct) Soviet Union. But that it could happen in America any day, so we needed to memorize as much Scripture as possible.

(06-09-2016 11:52 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:36 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I've often thought that this period made the masses accustomed to giving large amounts of money to the church, which made the priests see that they could wield extraordinary power and influence by tapping into that and expanding upon it- and thus the TV evangelist is born. (eventually, of course)
I think this is where the tide of religion turned, from a predominantly fear-based form of self protection, led, by and large, by believers, to a political force that used it's power and influence to steer the people in whatever direction it found most profitable, while God slowly died off in the upper echelons of the church, replaced by Greed.

No coincidence, I'm sure, that this is about the time the Catholic Church declared that priests must be celibate, in order to preserve the wealth of property within the church. (We can't have the priests leaving it to their kiddos, now, can we?)

"In the early 11th century Pope Benedict VIII responded to the decline in priestly morality by issuing a rule prohibiting the children of priests from inheriting property. A few decades later Pope Gregory VII issued a decree against clerical marriages."

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/696

It amazes me when cradle Catholics I meet, don't know this. (Or bringing up the Borgia Popes, their kids, etc.)

(06-09-2016 11:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:00 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Christianity. Dodgy Just Christianity.

I was raised Catholic (insert Catholics aren't really Christian diatribe here) and I don't ever recall hearing some of this crap. Facepalm

Join Catholic Bronies on Facebook, we can disabuse you of that notion. <.< Last two posts in the group are screaming about "fedorabros who think Jesus was a myth need to go back to their cesspool forums" and "Comfort Catholicism is over, prepare for persecution."

Edit: Also since we're doing cheese again, I feel the need to say "Cheese for the Cheese Gouda, provolone for the provolone throne!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-09-2016, 04:17 PM
all of the stuff about cheese makes me hungry..
i do not take anything banjo says to me as offensive.. just tough love.

it really is hard to just drop all of the beliefs. i can sit around and say i dont believe anymore but the fact is.. if something triggers it i believe right away for a time being until i can get myself together. ive lived in fear my whole life. been terrified of god my whole life. the nightmares were always the worst part.
im trying my hardest to get past all of this i really am.
[+] 3 users Like Jewelarcher's post
06-09-2016, 05:33 PM
(06-09-2016 04:17 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  all of the stuff about cheese makes me hungry..
i do not take anything banjo says to me as offensive.. just tough love.

it really is hard to just drop all of the beliefs. i can sit around and say i dont believe anymore but the fact is.. if something triggers it i believe right away for a time being until i can get myself together. ive lived in fear my whole life. been terrified of god my whole life. the nightmares were always the worst part.
im trying my hardest to get past all of this i really am.

"We are more popular than cheeses."
Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
06-09-2016, 06:37 PM
(06-09-2016 05:33 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "We are more popular than cheeses."
Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

Looks like I may have found a new (to me) author to check out. Seems like at least a wicked punster like Piers Anthony.
06-09-2016, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 06:44 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(06-09-2016 03:29 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Fellow former Baptist, sounds about right. Lots of hellfire until we got a more liberal "God is love" minister; and Sunday School when I was 5 or 6, I remember them having us hand over our Bibles and tell us to write, chapter and verse, anything we could remember, because we were told (not told it was pretend until after) that the Bible had been outlawed by the government, and we had to write down what we knew to pass it on to future generations in secret. Only after we were done (with a few folks in tears), did they tell us it was pretend, and that we were being taught what it was like for people in other countries like the (then recently defunct) Soviet Union. But that it could happen in America any day, so we needed to memorize as much Scripture as possible.

We actually shot a student film, in which my sister and I "starred", which was made by one of our members studying to become a Christian filmmaker, about that very subject-- except it was more about being caught practicing Christianity and forced on pain of death to deny Christ. They were really big on preaching the notion that we were due for persecution, and had better be sure our faith was strong, etc.

I looked, hoping to find it on YouTube, but it was made in 1988 or so, so it was a long shot. Undecided

The funny part about the claim is that the Soviet constitutions always guaranteed freedom of religion and, despite a deliberate propaganda and coercion campaign to try to get people to give up their religion, the only instances I've ever read of Soviets killing Christians was by the actions of private individuals/groups (such as the League of the Militant Godless, who burned churches and killed priests) or because the church leaders openly called for armed and active resistance against the communist government... and that government showed little mercy to its enemies. One particularly bad incident was in 1922, when the state declared that the churches must turn over all their valuables, like good communists, but the churches rejected the demand because of their golden icons and other "sacred" treasures, at which point the state began to arrest and execute those who refused the order. Worse, in the 1930s, several hundred thousand anti-communist priests were arrested and/or executed on spurious charges. It's tragic and wrong at every level, but none of it is an outlawing of Christianity nor a prohibition against its practice. Rather, the Soviets seemed to see religious people as something to be pitied, as the commies saw religion as a means for exploitation of the ignorance of the common man by the clergy and the wealthy, which is why they mainly focused on propaganda for the masses and on programs (including arrest/execution pogroms) designed to break the power base of the clergy.

But I suppose that big block of TL;dr is a bit complex for the American fundamentalist brand of persecution fantasy. On numerous occasions had to explain to family members who expressed such a sentiment (when they forget for a moment that I am an atheist) that every atheist I know would fight alongside them in the face of such persecution, in defense of their right to freely practice whatever idiotic thing they wanted, because it is a defense of our Constitution and of the most basic principles of intellectual liberty.

(06-09-2016 03:29 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Edit: Also since we're doing cheese again, I feel the need to say "Cheese for the Cheese Gouda, provolone for the provolone throne!"

Awesome. Big Grin

It's a shame so few people get 40K references. Bunch of heretics, I tell you. Heretics!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-09-2016, 06:47 PM
(06-09-2016 03:29 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I was raised Catholic (insert Catholics aren't really Christian diatribe here) and I don't ever recall hearing some of this crap. Facepalm

Join Catholic Bronies on Facebook, we can disabuse you of that notion. <.< Last two posts in the group are screaming about "fedorabros who think Jesus was a myth need to go back to their cesspool forums" and "Comfort Catholicism is over, prepare for persecution."

Edit: Also since we're doing cheese again, I feel the need to say "Cheese for the Cheese Gouda, provolone for the provolone throne!"

Yeah, I have trouble with that. To me, if you believe in Jesus, you're a Christian. They're all the same to me. Maybe you're a Catholic Christian, or a Baptist Christian, but you're all still Christians.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-09-2016, 07:58 PM
my preacher used to talk about how all of the horrible stuff was happening to christians over seas was coming here. that we seriously needed to consider if we would die for not denying jesus.
things like this did not help me at all. i would worry myself sick asking myself would i really die for jesus. but then the preacher would always throw in the "remember folks, if you deny jesus he will deny you in front of the father."
so being the christian i was i was really torn up about it. did i want my life to end because i wouldnt deny jesus or did i want to be denied by jesus..

the whole "turn from me i never knew you" thing was a large topic. in my church they said that was the scariest phrase you could ever hear in heaven.
and if you heard that, no matter what your life was prior to denying jesus.. you would be cast into the shadows of heaven. apparently thats like the worst thing. you cant go to the supper of the lamb.. you cant participate in the wedding.. you will live in the shadows for eternity where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.
i was TORN up about all of this. in the end i was convinced i would never be a good enough christian because i loved the world. i love everything the world has to offer.. but because of that.. i could never be good enough.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post