Blue Dream to fly!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Blue Dream to fly!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525...ject_share

Had to share the news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525...ts/1314961

A beautiful piece of engineering/craftsmanship is nearing completion/readiness to take to the air.

Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
10-08-2015, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 08:35 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: Blue Dream to fly!
Wow, what a masterpiece. That's one of the most beautiful aircraft I've ever seen; reminds me of some of Burt Rutan's designs (an engineering hero of mine).

[Image: bluebird_zpsj1jp1ev6.jpg]

[Image: th?id=JN.RYKqzDH2bwEs9jBj7lQGuQ&...mp;amp;P=0]

(Edited to add a picture of the Blue Dream, since I think it deserved to be seen in this thread.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Big Grin

The history of the P 100 is also quite the tale. Smile

Mr Rutan is... driven/passionate/interesting. His collaboration with Mr Branson is proving fruitful.

Sad about the crash. Sad
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
10-08-2015, 06:44 PM
A beautiful bird indeed. Made me think of this right away:

Seems fitting, to me.
11-08-2015, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 03:16 AM by Banjo.)
(10-08-2015 06:58 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525...ject_share

Had to share the news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525...ts/1314961

A beautiful piece of engineering/craftsmanship is nearing completion/readiness to take to the air.

Smile

Wow!

I did not know you liked aeroplanes! I adore aeroplanes. My first job back when I was 8 was working for an aggy pilot who flew pawnees. I used to keep everything clean. (aggy means crop duster)

That is one beautiful aircraft. But for me it will always be the Spitfire Mk's I through IX.

Spitfire Mk I.

[Image: Spitfire-Mk.Ia-N3200-flying.jpg]

Mk VIII in RAAF colours.

[Image: spitfire-mk-viii-raaf-air-pageant-point-...;amp;h=467]

When I was recovering from a fractured spine back in the 90's I made money building and selling model aeroplanes. Here's a P40 I built.

[Image: p40bdc_1.jpg]

[Image: p40bdc_12.jpg]

[Image: p40bdc_2.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-08-2015, 07:31 AM
An odd one... it looks like a tractor version of the Varieze, set up as a taildragger......

That's gonna be a bitch to get good visibility for taxi...... you're almost lying on your back with the tailwheel down...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-08-2015, 02:11 PM
The Spit is one of the most lovely aircraft ever built, without a doubt. However, if I may allow a tiny bit of jingoism to intrude, I think America wins the "prettiest warplanes" contest:

[Image: hilgert_p-38_01.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
11-08-2015, 03:55 PM
P-38s were cool -- but nothing beats a P51 for looks....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY7y9bORJ7bUjPsWcmCm4...g3uWuzSyNw]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-08-2015, 06:53 PM
(11-08-2015 07:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  An odd one... it looks like a tractor version of the Varieze, set up as a taildragger......

That's gonna be a bitch to get good visibility for taxi...... you're almost lying on your back with the tailwheel down...

Laugh out load

Not even close.

Mr Rutan's machine is a definite 'revers' flyer. With the canard acting as the tail and the wings all the way back. Single engine in her arse pushing things along.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mr Rutan is a definite genius but the P 100 is a very different bird.

This is the racer and, from flagging memory, was built to prove a lot of the technical concepts while bagging some speed records etc.

The 'combat' machine would have been a different beast again. About which there is much debate as nothing was ever put down about putting radios and guns inside the shape.

The P 100 is a twin engined machine.

Both engines mounted mid fuselage (Like the P-39) except Bugatti used their expertise in sports car manufacture to utilize smaller (Relatively), racing car engines for the power out put.

Both engines provide power to the props via independent shafts which run forwards, either side of the pilot, before meeting up at the gearing behind the contra-props.

I believe they also worked out an automatic de-coupler should one engine seize/stop working. Not sure on that I know Flettner did for his helicopters.

Put the P-100 into the Google search and read the history etc of the craft. Awesome/amazing/ beautiful piece of work.
11-08-2015, 07:54 PM
(11-08-2015 03:55 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  P-38s were cool -- but nothing beats a P51 for looks....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY7y9bORJ7bUjPsWcmCm4...g3uWuzSyNw]

A P-51D is the prettiest from the warbird era, to my eyes, but the F-86A has an elegance all its own:

[Image: 2540431727_8585796c03_z.jpg?zz=1]