BluesMan1kw's question from his intro thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 03:52 AM by RogueWarrior.)
BluesMan1kw's question from his intro thread
Quote:Hello out there.
I'm a Christian and an Evangelist. I'm not here to argue! I'm only here to get a better understanding of why and how anyone would decide to become an Atheist. It perplexes me and I find the myriad of answers motivating. I won't Bible 'thump' but one must understand that in a discussion I will use scripture as my foundation and basis for my stand. A dictionary definition here would not be appropriate due to it may be biased due to Theistic influence. Therefore I just pose the simple question to the forum of Atheists, "Why do you choose to be an Atheist?"

Hi
Nobody 'decides' to become an atheist. You make it sound like 'I am going to be a fireman' or 'I am going to be a pilot'. It doesn't work that way.

Before continuing, a definition of atheism needs to be agreed upon.
Atheism/theism are the mutually exclusive positions regarding this claim:

A god exists!
  • A theist believes this claim
  • An atheist does not believe this claim.

Many people try to complicate this definition but this is the only one that encompasses all atheists.

Also an important note #1:
The default position with respect to any and every claim is to withhold belief until sufficient evidence is provided to promote belief.
Do you have a problem with this BluesMan?

Also an important note #2:
Atheism/theism have no bearing on religion.
There are religious atheists and irreligious theists. So please don't get sidetracked by the 'atheism is a religion BS.'

Do you have a problem with this either?

I ask because unless we can agree on these 2 notes further discussion is honestly going to be futile.

Now as to why a person doesn't believe that claim, it usually is a matter of reviewing the evidences that allegedly support the various god claims. If a person doesn't feel that the evidence supports the claim, then they won't believe it. Please note that claiming gods do not exist is not a requirement of atheism. Some atheists will make that claim but it is a separate claim and a separate debate unrelated, but similar, to the claim that helps define theism/atheism. Therefore to claim that atheism necessarily means that atheists think there are no gods is wrong.

It is the same system used by western hemisphere courts. A prosecutor claims the defendant is guilty. He presents evidence. The jury examines the evidence and decides whether the claim is believable or not.
Please not the jury is not addressing whether the defendant is actually innocent. The defendant might in fact be guilty but the evidence provided by the prosecution was not sufficient for the jury to believe the defendant is guilty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like RogueWarrior's post
07-01-2015, 04:22 AM
RE: BluesMan1kw's question from his intro thread
I chose to become an atheist and I used my own definition to do it, to wit, an atheist is one who rejects contemporary theology, which is more historically accurate and all around better 'cause I love my Gwynnies so there! Big Grin

Also, self explanatory, so there it is. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2015, 05:09 AM
That intro stinks like drive by.
07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Nice post and response.

I agree that I didn't choose to stop believing. It's one of those things that just sort of happened. I actually tried pretty hard to fight it for a couple of years, but the more I tried to believe, the less I believed.

I remain atheist now because I've stopped placing the bar lower for what I will accept as evidence for the Christian god than I placed that bar for all the other gods.
07-01-2015, 07:35 AM
Using man-made "scripture" to support beliefs in same is the definition of "circular" (reasoning). The Bible is nothing but a buncha political propaganda.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
The main god of the Bible was the Babylonian war god. Why pick that god to land on, for belief ? Why not his wife (whom the Hebrews also worshiped) ?

What exactly is your education level in your cult, BluesMan1kw ? Babble College ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-01-2015, 08:51 AM
I was a strong believer till a few months after I became 8yrs old

at which point I started hating all the religious nonsense till eventually I just got rid of my connection to it
07-01-2015, 09:16 AM
I did not decide to become atheist. I decided that I would be honest and made a commitment to reason as my only means of knowledge and as my only guide to action. Atheism is one of the results of that decision. Since I made that commitment, I have learned things that make it certain that gods are logically impossible so now I am a strong atheist.

In order to believe in a god you must abandon reason and I can't do that.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-01-2015, 09:24 AM
I didn't choose to be atheist in much the same way I didn't choose to be born.

I discovered that I was an atheist. Until about eight years ago, I had never heard of the word. I found out that it described my lack of belief.

In the same way I had to learn that the word alive also applied to me.

So if I'm an atheist and alive, what does that make you ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-01-2015, 10:39 AM
I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household, so maybe it wasn't initially about becoming an atheist, it was about how the bible was unbelievable.

It makes laughable creation claims in light of science, it plagiarizes myth after myth after myth showing it is not god-inspired, more like Babylonian, Egyptian and Sumerian inspired.

I suppose the ridiculous nature of the bible itself is why I am not a Christian, however the same process that led me to debunk the divine authority of the bible is the same process that leads one to realize ALL religions are nothing but silly myths, the products of malfunctioning monkey logic.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
As everyone else has stated, you don't "Choose" to be an atheist or not. You either are, or you're not based on your view of the evidence to the claim.

Personally, I don't think I've ever really believed, however, when I was 12 I literally wrote down a shortened version of the christian story and thought it through to see if it really made any sense at all. I came to the conclusion that it made absolutely no sense at all as how it would have played out if there were an all-loving omniscient god.

I also came to the conclusion that it made absolutely perfect sense if it were men writing these stories so that they could explain things they didn't know. That sealed the deal for me. :shocking:

That night I replaced my usual prayer with "If there is a God of any kind, please show me by coming into my heart or giving me some evidence." I have said that prayer daily for the last 20 years (give or take a few days) and haven't gotten any kind of response. :consider:

two years ago I started to do a lot of research on the history of the bible and scripture, Now I just find it ridiculous to believe that ANYONE believe in it. I also get angry with the thought of people preaching it as fact that either don't know how little of it is reliable, or blatantly lie about it to their church. :@:@

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.