BnW vs. Boy Scouts: Opinion Needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2010, 09:41 PM
BnW vs. Boy Scouts: Opinion Needed
I think I've got an answer to this but I want to know what you all think anyway.

First, some quick background: I moved to my current location 2 years ago. We arrived 3 days before school started and new nothing and no one. To help my oldest (then 7 and in 2nd grade) acclimate, I had him join cub scouts. It went ok, but there was a religious bent to the troop that I had a real issue with. In December they had not a holiday party but a full fledged Christmas party with the kids doing different skits about the baby Jesus. Even if I wasn't an atheist I'm still culturally Jewish and this was driving me out of my skin. So, I was not upset when my son didn't want to join again last year.

Cut to this year where a lot of friends are in scouts and he wants to go back. My youngest wants to join too. I decided the religious issues were my problem, not their problem, and I'd suck it up.

Last week was supposed to be a car wash but it was canceled due to a funeral at the church where we hold our den meetings and events. So, they rescheduled it for tomorrow. Now, tomorrow is Yom Kipur, the Jewish day of atonement and the holiest day of the year for Jews. My wife (who is not religious but won't admit she's an atheist) and I both flipped out about this as we found it to be extremely insensitive. I wrote the den mother and told her that we couldn't be there due to the holiday (I'll still be with my family). My wife wanted me to say something about the insensitivity of it but I really don't want to be a hypocrite. How can I go back and say "how dare you be insensitive to my religion which, by the way, I don't believe in anyway". My wife decided that was not the point and called the den mother on her own. She told the den mother that the message we took from it was our kids were not welcome. She got an apology and the woman, who is very nice, was very embarrassed about the whole thing and said it was not her call, she told the troupe leader and he said it wouldn't be a big deal and they would do it and if some kids missed it they missed it.

So, here's the dilemma: I kind of feel there is a principle in play here that I can't let go and I'm going to make an issue of it to the troupe leader. I'm a bit concerned, though, of the hypocrisy. However, after what I experienced two years ago I think if I don't speak up now my kids are going to be subjected to another round of baby Jesus in the manger this December and I'm going to go out of my freaking mind over it.

What would you all do? Would you just suck it up? Say something? Go postal?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 01:46 AM
RE: BnW vs. Boy Scouts: Opinion Needed
Problem #1: Atheists aren't allowed in boy scouts.

"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_...ote-duty-1

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
18-09-2010, 02:47 AM
(17-09-2010 09:41 PM)BnW Wrote:  What would you all do? Would you just suck it up? Say something? Go postal?

I would schedule an out of town visit with relatives on the day of the "false history pageant."
18-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Well, I am an Atheist Eagles Scout.. and I know I'm not the only one. There are a couple of stories floating around the internet where the BSA tried to prevent scouts who were openly atheist from getting the rank of Eagle. The BSA lost or backed down in all cases..
Of course, when the current stat is 2% of all scouts will reach the rank of Eagle, I would think that preventing some (depending on the issue) would be a bad idea..
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:Problem #1: Atheists aren't allowed in boy scouts.

They are not going to kick me out over it (I assume) but yes, it is a problem.

sigh The things we do for our children.

18-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Update: I did not mention before that there is a temple across the street from the church. So, my wife just drove by both, saw people on their way to services for the holiday and saw the boy scouts out there doing the car wash, and that was the final straw. She called me up and said she wanted to pull the boys altogether and I agree. It's more than the level of disrespect and insensitivity to other people; their is a clear message of "you're not welcome here".

So, rather than put our kids someplace where they are going to be made to feel awkward, we are going to quit. We are calling the scouts on Monday to discuss our decision with them.

I'm really pissed about this.

18-09-2010, 10:26 AM

(18-09-2010 10:15 AM)BnW Wrote:  Update: I did not mention before that there is a temple across the street from the church. So, my wife just drove by both, saw people on their way to services for the holiday and saw the boy scouts out there doing the car wash, and that was the final straw. She called me up and said she wanted to pull the boys altogether and I agree. It's more than the level of disrespect and insensitivity to other people; their is a clear message of "you're not welcome here".

So, rather than put our kids someplace where they are going to be made to feel awkward, we are going to quit. We are calling the scouts on Monday to discuss our decision with them.

I'm really pissed about this.

I'd call the council, and see if there isn't a troop close by that would be better suited for you guys. The troop that I "graduated" out of met at a church, and that was pretty much it. (Aside from a scout-oriented prayer and in the later years that was even a "maybe" most meetings.)
18-09-2010, 10:28 AM
We may do that. The upside of this troop was my oldest has a lot of friends in it. If he's not going to be with his friends I'm not sure he's going to have interest.

He does have one friend in another troop. I think I'm going to talk to the father and ask him about it.

18-09-2010, 03:56 PM
(18-09-2010 10:28 AM)BnW Wrote:  He does have one friend in another troop. I think I'm going to talk to the father and ask him about it.

Don't think about it. Do it.
18-09-2010, 07:53 PM

I was going to suggest pulling them out, but it looks like you're already there. I would make a stink about it, but that's probably not the mature thing to do. That's just me. Smile