Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese
I thought it would be interesting to see what the forum's opinion on this.
If someone is morbidly obese and it is impacting their health viciously in a negative way, but said person was okay with that and appreciated their body, should someone intervene and try to convince that person to lose weight?

I just saw a few videos on YouTube about it and thought it'd be a fun discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2017, 08:36 PM
RE: Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese
If it was impacting the person's health viciously in a negative way, and this person was a friend or family member, I would try and be supportive and try and make healthy meals for them, not eat junk food around them, and encourage them to get some exercise. I would suggest seeing a therapist to maybe help them work through why they were happy living like that--in a way that is putting their health in serious jeopardy. Unfortunately, you can't make someone change. Ultimately, each person is responsible for themselves, you can only do what you can do to be supportive and the other person needs to take it from there.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
30-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Despite what you see claimed, it's virtually impossible for morbidly obese people to permanently loose weight. Just look at all the people that go on "The Biggest Loser" - they all put the weight back on over the next few years.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Aractus's post
30-03-2017, 08:38 PM
(30-03-2017 08:36 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Despite what you see claimed, it's virtually impossible for morbidly obese people to permanently loose weight. Just look at all the people that go on "The Biggest Loser" - they all put the weight back on over the next few years.

That's because often times people lose weight without dealing with the underlying problem (which can be psychological in nature) as with any addiction.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
30-03-2017, 08:43 PM
All that said, I do think it's important to love and accept oneself at any weight and be kind to yourself. And hopefully someone struggling with weight could get themselves together with their health in mind and not a "I need to get to a size two mentality."
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-03-2017, 09:03 PM
(30-03-2017 08:38 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 08:36 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Despite what you see claimed, it's virtually impossible for morbidly obese people to permanently loose weight. Just look at all the people that go on "The Biggest Loser" - they all put the weight back on over the next few years.

That's because often times people lose weight without dealing with the underlying problem (which can be psychological in nature) as with any addiction.

There's biological reasons as well. After you add fat cells they stick and short of the most Ethiopian efforts they hold on to about 30% of their mass.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
30-03-2017, 09:06 PM
(30-03-2017 09:03 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 08:38 PM)jennybee Wrote:  That's because often times people lose weight without dealing with the underlying problem (which can be psychological in nature) as with any addiction.

There's biological reasons as well. After you add fat cells they stick and short of the most Ethiopian efforts they hold on to about 30% of their mass.

Very true re: biological reasons. I was more mentioning psychological issues in response to A's post about Biggest Loser People, who were physically able to lose weight, but then ended up gaining it back within a year or two.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-03-2017, 09:07 PM
(30-03-2017 08:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  All that said, I do think it's important to love and accept oneself at any weight and be kind to yourself. And hopefully someone struggling with weight could get themselves together with their health in mind and not a "I need to get to a size two mentality."

If you're fat the most important thing is to not let yourself get any fatter. Do what it takes to move in the right direction. Being fat is hard work.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
30-03-2017, 09:13 PM
(30-03-2017 09:07 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 08:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  All that said, I do think it's important to love and accept oneself at any weight and be kind to yourself. And hopefully someone struggling with weight could get themselves together with their health in mind and not a "I need to get to a size two mentality."

If you're fat the most important thing is to not let yourself get any fatter. Do what it takes to move in the right direction. Being fat is hard work.

Fortunately, I've never been someone who's been overweight, so I can only speculate that if someone who is overweight is consistently overeating, chances are, they are going to end up gaining more weight. I think if it is a biological reason for weight gain or a psychological one, addtl. weight gain is a likely possibility.
30-03-2017, 09:14 PM
(30-03-2017 09:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 09:03 PM)ImFred Wrote:  There's biological reasons as well. After you add fat cells they stick and short of the most Ethiopian efforts they hold on to about 30% of their mass.

Very true re: biological reasons. I was more mentioning psychological issues in response to A's post about Biggest Loser People, who were physically able to lose weight, but then ended up gaining it back within a year or two.

Those fat cells are designed to fill themselves back up so it takes a lot of discipline to keep it off. If you're 100lbs overweight pretty much the best you can hope for is to be 30 lbs overweight and it's a real bitch to keep it that way. But it's a combination of psychological and physiological, of course.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post