Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:02 PM by Atothetheist.)
RE: Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese
I'm of the opinion that you should have the choice to do bad things to yourself. Meaning, if my friend Manny from down the street wants to eat 15 buckets of KFC and gain a lot of wait, it should be his choice to do so. It should also be his choice to seek healthier alternatives if he so chooses.

This is my stance on nearly everything.

However, to the point of body acceptance. Let's say Manny does get really bloated, and I start treating him differently (Maybe I don't like hanging out with morbidly obese people), I think I am well within my right. Just as I am well within my right to avoid people who do excessive amounts of drugs. I personally don't agree with willfully choosing to be obese (I used my words carefully), and I will not associate myself with people that tend to make that choice. I believe it is my choice to do so just as it would be their choice to do so.

I don't buy into the idea that being fat or obese is beautiful, but I also don't believe in shaming them so badly that they have to eat like the rest of us. I am content with letting them live out their consequences and me for mine and involving myself when I feel they want me to or not. So long as the have the opportunity to go for the alternative as well.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2017, 12:51 PM
(02-04-2017 12:43 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I'm of the opinion that you should have the choice to do bad things to yourself. Meaning, if my friend Manny from down the street wants to eat 15 buckets of KFC and gain a lot of wait, it should be his choice to do so. It should also be his choice to seek healthier alternatives if he so chooses.

However, to the point of body acceptance. Let's say Manny does get really bloated, and I start treating him differently (Maybe I don't like hanging out with morbidly obese people), I think I am well within my right. Just as I am well within my right to avoid people who do excessive amounts of drugs. I personally don't agree willfully choosing to be obese (I used my words carefully), and I will not associate myself with people that tend to make that choice. I believe it is my choice to do so just as it would be their choice to do so.

I don't buy into the idea that being fat or obese is beautiful, but I also don't believe in shaming them so badly that they have to eat like the rest of us. I am content with letting them live out their consequences and me for mine and involving myself when I feel they want me to or not. So long as the have the opportunity to go for the alternative as well.

Long as you don't go around assuming that all obese people eat like Manny, or that Manny doesn't have some physical or mental wiring that is faulty, making it difficult to live on the food you find fine.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-04-2017, 01:01 PM
(02-04-2017 12:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 12:43 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I'm of the opinion that you should have the choice to do bad things to yourself. Meaning, if my friend Manny from down the street wants to eat 15 buckets of KFC and gain a lot of wait, it should be his choice to do so. It should also be his choice to seek healthier alternatives if he so chooses.

However, to the point of body acceptance. Let's say Manny does get really bloated, and I start treating him differently (Maybe I don't like hanging out with morbidly obese people), I think I am well within my right. Just as I am well within my right to avoid people who do excessive amounts of drugs. I personally don't agree willfully choosing to be obese (I used my words carefully), and I will not associate myself with people that tend to make that choice. I believe it is my choice to do so just as it would be their choice to do so.

Long as you don't go around assuming that all obese people eat like Manny, or that Manny doesn't have some physical or mental wiring that is faulty, making it difficult to live on the food you find fine.

Notice what I said about choosing my words carefully. Manny in this example choose the path (a choice that he rightfully was presented with) and choose to go one way versus another (each path has consequences, good and bad).

As for a medical condition: I still am well within my right to view obsesity as unhealthy, regardless if it is chosen or not. I will not say that being big is appealing, but I will never approach the conversation unless they bring it up to me.

If it's not their choice, there should be methods that allow it to be within your control, and I would imagine that the mentality of "just accepting your body." wouldn't bring about these avenues for body changing. I think that body acceptance is good when you really feel like there is no need for improvement, but I also feel that not accepting your body as is can also be a good drive toward improvement or a place you can be more comfortable.

Any criticisms of that?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-04-2017, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-04-2017 01:01 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  As for a medical condition: I still am well within my right to view obsesity as unhealthy, regardless if it is chosen or not. ... Any criticisms of that?

Is that your medical opinion?
Overweight and healthy: the concept of metabolically healthy obesity
Can You Be Fit and Fat?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
(02-04-2017 12:42 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 07:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The friend I spoke of earlier had to have been embarrassed by her ever-increasing weight. I can't imagine being able to lie away the truth to the extent that she did.

One day she sat on my couch and broke one of the legs off of it. We had a gathering after getting a new table and chairs (new to us anyway) and when she sat on a chair the seat split all the way down the middle. Not a word was ever said about these events but she knew and I knew what happened.

When we went somewhere together I always insisted that she drive, under the pretense that she knew her way around town better than I did. In truth, it's because they wore cars out due to her weight crushing the seats and damaging the suspension.

She and her family used to tease me because of how little food I prepared for a family of five. Granted my kids were younger than hers but they would, every night, cook enough food that my family could have eaten for a week and still not consumed it all. It was sheer volume of the food that was consumed in that house that was astonishing.

After a day of shopping together we were heading back on base and she asked if I wanted to stop at a fast food place for a snack. It was mid-afternoon so I was thinking maybe a drink or a small ice cream since it was getting close to suppertime. She ordered a full combo meal...that was what she considered a snack. That day really showed me how differently she and I looked at food.

It's easy for me to wonder how people become so heavy since food is low priority for me and I have the genetics of slender or average sized people. But I know I am lucky not to fight that battle. If I was addicted to eating....it's not illegal, it's easily accessible, we all have to eat...it has to be hard to have to control an addiction to food when you can't forego eating altogether.

Food is love, and as children of children of the depression, many of us were overfed with the intent that "my kids will never go hungry". I think that mentality had a lot to do with the fattening of the US.
I've been practicing portion control in a dedicated manner for the first time in my 56 years.
It's been 4 months now, and the old habits are lurking below the surface at all times.

I am nearly 60 and didn't experience that mindset. There were few people I went to high school with who were, or are now, terribly overweight. I get what you are saying about the depression era mindset...maybe we didn't feel it that much because I grew up in farm country and there was always food to be had...and work to be done.

I see one of the worst things that I was taught and had to get out of my head to be the concept that you had to clean your plate, even if someone else prepared it for you. That may be a bit of the 'never go hungry again' mindset but I think it was more about not wasting food.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-04-2017, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:19 PM by RearViewMirror.)
(02-04-2017 01:01 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  If it's not their choice, there should be methods that allow it to be within your control, and I would imagine that the mentality of "just accepting your body." wouldn't bring about these avenues for body changing. I think that body acceptance is good when you really feel like there is no need for improvement, but I also feel that not accepting your body as is can also be a good drive toward improvement or a place you can be more comfortable.

Any criticisms of that?

I have no criticisms of that at all. I "choose" to remain in good shape. Again... without any underlying condition that will not allow for weight loss then the decision to lose weight is left to the individual. I choose not to be fat and I work at just doing that. I don't count in at dinner at the Fire Station because 99% of the food that is cooked there is fried. At 46 I can not eat fried food and expect to remain at a decent weight. So I "choose" to eat healthy.

I will say it one more time. Burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. Most people did not gain the weight overnight so therefore it will not come off overnight. This is the reason that diets do not generally work. People's expectations are set too high and if they do not see results in a given period time then they lose ambition. I understand that.

But once again (and I'll catch flack for this), I feel no pity for someone that is obese (with no underlying condition) that choses to do nothing about it. When you wait in the parking lot until the first close spot comes open only to get on a riding shopping cart... I feel no pity. I park as far away from the store as possible because a walk never hurt anyone (plus I don't want my car dinged up).

There are plenty of low impact exercises out there for everyone. You just have to make a choice in how you want to live your life.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
02-04-2017, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:26 PM by Atothetheist.)
(02-04-2017 01:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 01:01 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  As for a medical condition: I still am well within my right to view obsesity as unhealthy, regardless if it is chosen or not. ... Any criticisms of that?

Is that your medical opinion?
Overweight and healthy: the concept of metabolically healthy obesity
Can You Be Fit and Fat?
Quote: Carrying too many pounds is a solid signal of current or future health problems.
- The article you linked.

Well, hey, would you look at that. I also know that it's not an absolute, but it is, as your link says, a solid sign.The problem is, I am not really talking about being overweight but rather morbidly obese. The idea is this, Girly: I am not going to fat-shame, I avoid the conversation unless it is specifically asked of me, and even then I don't try to be rude about it. I just say that in my opinion accepting an unhealthy lifestyle might be ill advised, but it is ones freedom to do so. Just as it is my freedom to do so.
02-04-2017, 01:35 PM
(02-04-2017 01:14 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I will say it one more time. Burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight.

The biggest factor by far in how many calories you burn is determined by your basal metabolic rate. You can manipulate your BMR through exercise, nutrition, and pharmacologically but the easiest is through nutrition. All calories are not created equal, phytonutrients in certain food stuffs can manipulate and modulate the metabolic and hormonal pathways, some foods require more energy to metabolize than others, etc.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-04-2017, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-04-2017 01:23 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Well, hey, would you look at that. I also know that it's not an absolute, but it is, as your link says, a solid sign.The problem is, I am not really talking about being overweight but rather morbidly obese. The idea is this, Girly: I am not going to fat-shame, I avoid the conversation unless it is specifically asked of me, and even then I don't try to be rude about it. I just say that in my opinion accepting an unhealthy lifestyle might be ill advised, but it is ones freedom to do so. Just as it is my freedom to do so.

My opinion is that lifestyle is rarely the cause of morbid obesity. Lifestyle can exacerbate the condition but morbid obesity is always a symptom of an underlying medical issue and not a lifestyle choice.

"I saw a woman with 'Guess' on it. I said, 'Thyroid problem?' " - Austrian Oak

#sigh
02-04-2017, 01:41 PM
(02-04-2017 01:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 01:23 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Well, hey, would you look at that. I also know that it's not an absolute, but it is, as your link says, a solid sign.The problem is, I am not really talking about being overweight but rather morbidly obese. The idea is this, Girly: I am not going to fat-shame, I avoid the conversation unless it is specifically asked of me, and even then I don't try to be rude about it. I just say that in my opinion accepting an unhealthy lifestyle might be ill advised, but it is ones freedom to do so. Just as it is my freedom to do so.

My opinion is that lifestyle is rarely the cause of morbid obesity. Lifestyle can exacerbate the condition but morbid obesity is always a symptom of an underlying medical issue and not a lifestyle choice.

Medical or mental issue, I would say.

They aren't always seen as the same thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post