Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 05:46 PM
RE: Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese
(31-03-2017 01:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Most accurate way to assess lean mass is to get weighed underwater. A good rule of thumb is if you can fall asleep while floating in a pool. Yeah, I miss that.

You know I spend a lot of time in the water and I’m a very proficient swimmer. One day I challenged my then very obese brother to a treading water competition in a pool. Two hours later I gave up, he fell asleep with his body about a third of the way out of the water. Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
31-03-2017, 05:49 PM
(31-03-2017 05:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You know I spend a lot of time in the water and I’m a very proficient swimmer. One day I challenged my then very obese brother to a treading water competition in a pool. Two hours later I gave up, he fell asleep with his body about a third of the way out of the water.

Tubbies have inbuilt buoyancy vests. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
31-03-2017, 06:01 PM
I love visiting areas of the ocean with higher salinity. Very easy to float Smile
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
31-03-2017, 06:06 PM
(31-03-2017 05:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This will contradict some of what has been said here but surgery has reduced my brother’s weight from 505 pounds to 220 in about two years. He simply cannot eat enough to put it back on with the reduced stomach size. Undecided

I hope that continues to be the case. A dear friend of mine had some sort of gastric bypass surgery between 15 and 20 years ago. She lost a lot of weight which was a good thing since she had some heart issues and asthma. But she looked at it as a quick fix that required little effort on her part. At first she would make herself sick by eating more than she should have or eating the wrong things. Eventually she stretched out the stomach pouch and she gained it all back...and then some.

Food was one of her ways of self-medicating. She did nothing to change her attitude toward food. When we first met she was a big lady but not obese. I watched her eat herself into an early grave. Like anyone with an addiction she needed to decide to make a change and she didn't.

We both had cancer at the same time. Different types...I was pretty healthy going into it and came out okay. All the extra weight and strain on her body left her in bad shape going into treatment. We lost her shortly after I had my reconstruction surgery.

I miss her. She was funny and smart and she taught me how to navigate through being a military wife and mother.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
31-03-2017, 06:20 PM
(31-03-2017 06:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 05:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This will contradict some of what has been said here but surgery has reduced my brother’s weight from 505 pounds to 220 in about two years. He simply cannot eat enough to put it back on with the reduced stomach size. Undecided

I hope that continues to be the case. A dear friend of mine had some sort of gastric bypass surgery between 15 and 20 years ago. She lost a lot of weight which was a good thing since she had some heart issues and asthma. But she looked at it as a quick fix that required little effort on her part. At first she would make herself sick by eating more than she should have or eating the wrong things. Eventually she stretched out the stomach pouch and she gained it all back...and then some.

Food was one of her ways of self-medicating. She did nothing to change her attitude toward food. When we first met she was a big lady but not obese. I watched her eat herself into an early grave. Like anyone with an addiction she needed to decide to make a change and she didn't.

We both had cancer at the same time. Different types...I was pretty healthy going into it and came out okay. All the extra weight and strain on her body left her in bad shape going into treatment. We lost her shortly after I had my reconstruction surgery.

I miss her. She was funny and smart and she taught me how to navigate through being a military wife and mother.

I can only hope he can keep it off.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-04-2017, 12:25 AM

I've thought about trying the surgery. I don't think it's a "quick fix" but I've tried everything, and for the most part I don't eat a ton of food (though I'll admit if I've gone hungry for a few days or more I tend to binge eat the first chance I can get my hands on food).

Also @whoever suggested a garden. I can't, I'm a renter. But I did do a vegan diet for a while (well I still ate meat prolly once a week at most), when I tried it I felt a billion times healthier. Though even then I didn't loose any weight.... BUT I also figure I prolly didn't do it long enough for it to really make a difference weight wise.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
01-04-2017, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 01:29 AM by RearViewMirror.)
I may catch some flack for this but I have very little pity for people that are morbidly obese. I'm talking 500-600 lbs obese. I agree with genetics playing a part in people that have trouble losing weight but in reality it is very simple to lose weight. DO NOT TAKE IN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU BURN. Simple as that. If you take in more calories and do not burn them off they will over time make you gain weight.

Now that said... there are diseases out there that cause obesity and they need special treatment. But being a Paramedic I see all too often the cause of obesity and "most" of the time it's not medical. Obesity is one of the worst offenders of increased healthcare premiums and health problems and we pay the price for someone else's gluttony. I see people every day driving around the parking lot looking for a place to park close so they can get on the first motorized cart that can haul their 400lb ass around the store. Maybe... just maybe if you got up and actually walked and performed just a little bit of exercise and not run straight to the frozen food aisle to pick up that jumbo pack of frozen fish sticks they might lose some weight.

Again, I'm not singling out anyone on here for struggling with weight issues. I'm lucky and have maintained 175-180lbs all my life. But I eat right and eat proportionately. There are issues that cause obesity that must be handled medically. The vast majority do not. They need self control. It takes 3000 calories to make 1lb of fat. Take in 3000 calories less per week and you will lose weight. Simple as that.

If someone has no underlying medical condition that causes them to be obese I have no sympathy

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
01-04-2017, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 02:24 AM by JesseB.)
(01-04-2017 01:22 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I may catch some flack for this but I have very little pity for people that are morbidly obese. I'm talking 500-600 lbs obese. I agree with genetics playing a part in people that have trouble losing weight but in reality it is very simple to lose weight. DO NOT TAKE IN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU BURN. Simple as that. If you take in more calories and do not burn them off they will over time make you gain weight.

Now that said... there are diseases out there that cause obesity and they need special treatment. But being a Paramedic I see all too often the cause of obesity and "most" of the time it's not medical. Obesity is one of the worst offenders of increased healthcare premiums and health problems and we pay the price for someone else's gluttony. I see people every day driving around the parking lot looking for a place to park close so they can get on the first motorized cart that can haul their 400lb ass around the store. Maybe... just maybe if you got up and actually walked and performed just a little bit of exercise and not run straight to the frozen food aisle to pick up that jumbo pack of frozen fish sticks they might lose some weight.

Again, I'm not singling out anyone on here for struggling with weight issues. I'm lucky and have maintained 175-180lbs all my life. But I eat right and eat proportionately. There are issues that cause obesity that must be handled medically. The vast majority do not. They need self control. It takes 3000 calories to make 1lb of fat. Take in 3000 calories less per week and you will lose weight. Simple as that.

If someone has no underlying medical condition that causes them to be obese I have no sympathy

Try not to take this the wrong way, but my fat ass could prolly outrun your skinny ass Tongue I might need you to take me to the hospital after lol but pretty much your calorie intake and output stuff sounds right, but in practical terms isn't. I'm fairly certain I've lived a highly active lifestyle, from 20 mile hikes to practically living in a Taekwondo dojo, to literally dodging bullets, to huffing around 1,000 lb pipes in the oil fields. Just how much food do you think I was fucking eating to have more calories come in than go out, when I was working a 72 hour shift on an oil rig without the ability to leave for food in the 114 f degree weather in California? (did you know that on hot days in the summer in California through the night the temperature doesn't drop below 80 f I do, I've put in plenty of over night work in the oil fields, imagine when its 4 am and 80 degrees f what its gonna be like at noon the same day).

I know what you're saying makes a certain amount of sense. But I also know from practical application it's kinda bullshit. I have to practically starve myself and work absurdly hard to keep the weight off, frankly I know what needs to be done to do it, but I'm physically no longer capable of doing so. Try waking up every morning in more pain than when you wen't to bed the night before. Every joint, even your hair follicles hurt, your muscles have a deep ache, sometimes weird things happen like your face feels numb, or electricity shocks in various parts of your body. And I'll still fucking race you, lets see what you got. My prediction, I'll win the sprint by far, but you'll win the distance run (though I might hold out long enough to win that too). We can swim laps, you can try and keep up with me dropping fucking trees or rolling pipe on a rig. Lets do this dude.

Now I get you made it clear you're talking about people with no underlying health issues, and I've had this weird pain bullshit ever since I was a kid. It just got so bad I simply couldn't get out quite as much as I used to. I'm still pretty active, I still do tree work, clean peoples houses for money, prostitution (kidding, well I would but who would hire me lol), I know what it takes to loose weight and because of that I simply don't agree that its as straight forward and simple as you think it is.

I also think most of the shit people say on diet, exercise and food choices are things they pulled out of their ass. I've seen very little empirical data given to back up most people's claims. From what I've seen it's far more complex and nuanced than anyone wants to admit.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
01-04-2017, 02:50 AM
Oh and @RearView, I'm not trying to shit on you. Admittedly I spent the entire day tearing my house apart and deep cleaning, so I'm a bit tired and grumpy at the moment. On that note I think I'll get some sleep now. Take care

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
01-04-2017, 06:10 AM
(01-04-2017 02:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 01:22 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I may catch some flack for this but I have very little pity for people that are morbidly obese. I'm talking 500-600 lbs obese. I agree with genetics playing a part in people that have trouble losing weight but in reality it is very simple to lose weight. DO NOT TAKE IN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU BURN. Simple as that. If you take in more calories and do not burn them off they will over time make you gain weight.

Try not to take this the wrong way, but my fat ass could prolly outrun your skinny ass Tongue I might need you to take me to the hospital after lol but pretty much your calorie intake and output stuff sounds right, but in practical terms isn't. I'm fairly certain I've lived a highly active lifestyle, from 20 mile hikes to practically living in a Taekwondo dojo, to literally dodging bullets, to huffing around 1,000 lb pipes in the oil fields. Just how much food do you think I was fucking eating to have more calories come in than go out, when I was working a 72 hour shift on an oil rig without the ability to leave for food in the 114 f degree weather in California? (did you know that on hot days in the summer in California through the night the temperature doesn't drop below 80 f I do, I've put in plenty of over night work in the oil fields, imagine when its 4 am and 80 degrees f what its gonna be like at noon the same day).

I know what you're saying makes a certain amount of sense. But I also know from practical application it's kinda bullshit. I have to practically starve myself and work absurdly hard to keep the weight off, frankly I know what needs to be done to do it, but I'm physically no longer capable of doing so. Try waking up every morning in more pain than when you wen't to bed the night before. Every joint, even your hair follicles hurt, your muscles have a deep ache, sometimes weird things happen like your face feels numb, or electricity shocks in various parts of your body. And I'll still fucking race you, lets see what you got. My prediction, I'll win the sprint by far, but you'll win the distance run (though I might hold out long enough to win that too). We can swim laps, you can try and keep up with me dropping fucking trees or rolling pipe on a rig. Lets do this dude.

Now I get you made it clear you're talking about people with no underlying health issues, and I've had this weird pain bullshit ever since I was a kid. It just got so bad I simply couldn't get out quite as much as I used to. I'm still pretty active, I still do tree work, clean peoples houses for money, prostitution (kidding, well I would but who would hire me lol), I know what it takes to loose weight and because of that I simply don't agree that its as straight forward and simple as you think it is.

I also think most of the shit people say on diet, exercise and food choices are things they pulled out of their ass. I've seen very little empirical data given to back up most people's claims. From what I've seen it's far more complex and nuanced than anyone wants to admit.

(01-04-2017 02:50 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Oh and @RearView, I'm not trying to shit on you. Admittedly I spent the entire day tearing my house apart and deep cleaning, so I'm a bit tired and grumpy at the moment. On that note I think I'll get some sleep now. Take care

No offence taken Jesse. And I understand where I could have come across as harsh in my statements.

That said, I do stand by my statements. I work as a Firefighter in the largest city in our state (have for 23yrs now). So some of the things you describe I've been through. Throw on 90 lbs of gear when it is 115 degrees outside (and that's before you even pick up a tool) and run into a burning building where temps can range from 200 at the floor to well over 1000 at head level. Speaking of... this is why you always see Firefighters crawl into a burning structure. Because 200 degrees feels like a fall breeze compared to the hell that is 5' above you.

As I mentioned, genetics do play a certain role in weight gain. For those people it is harder to keep off but it can be done. One of my friends suffers from just that. It's in his genetic makeup but he has worked his ass off to keep the weight off. He does things that I don't have to do to maintain the same weight. Myself, I raced bikes from the time I was 5 until I finally had a horrible crash at 35. I was sponsored so I had to race. But after that wreck my racing days were over. After I turned 40 I realized that I was starting to gain some weight so I did exactly what I described in the post above. Cut out 3000 calories a week and the weight came off. Now I fluctuate between 175-180 depending on the seasons. I get more stagnate during the winter so therefore I put on about 5lbs.
Weight is a touchy subject I understand. But I fully maintain that if you have no underlying condition then it can be taken off if you so desire. That is one of the reason's I ride my BMX bike everyday and do flatland tricks on it because it is a total body workout. I also still race downhill and cyclocross when the opportunity arises.

[Image: IMG_0502_zpsa04eja8u.jpg]

[Image: 20140809_113845_zpsedd78b10.jpeg]

[Image: 20140802_193707_RichtoneHDR1_zpsb05f23b5.jpg]

So if you truly want to lose weight I say that it can be done (without underlying medical conditions). It's just in how bad you want to lose that weight.

Oh... and if you want to know what real heat feels like... This happens when the temps get over 1000 degrees. The leather patch doesn't do that until it hits above 1000 degrees and the bork shields don't melt very often. That happened with both on this fire.

[Image: Helmet%201_zpsvyvwjbwq.jpg]

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.