Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 10:49 AM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Body Acceptance and the Morbidly Obese
(02-04-2017 12:21 AM)JesseB Wrote:  So like.... I really want to have a child, are you suggesting I can't unless I take testosterone?

Not at all. I'm saying your weight issues are at least compounded by your lack of testosterone. Testosterone supplementation has been shown to be somewhat effective form of birth control. When you supplement T your body sees that it has enough and the fellows take a nap cuddled up nice and warm in their coin purse which means they don't produce sperm either. When you're trying to have kids you don't want to be on TRT. But once you come off your sperm production goes back to normal. You can be perfectly fertile with low T.

(02-04-2017 12:21 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I mean I hate the stuff, it made me want to murder everyone in sight, but if that's the price I have to pay to have a kid.....

That sounds like a dosage and/or delivery issue. One problem with injections is that they fail to miimic the body's natural rhythmic production where it's highest in the morning and lower in the evening. With injections you get a high serum level rapidly and it gradually goes back down over weeks or months. I don't like having high T levels that long either. I use the gel (I slap it on my nuts 'cause it's absorption rate is like 5-10x better there and it burns baby burns Big Grin ) which is metabolized in 2 days. I take it in the evenings and I can reproduce the natural T rhythm that way. Problem is gel costs big money compared to injections.

But if you've always had low T that means you've never experienced normal levels before and I can see how you may not like the effects. I don't like levels at supraphysioloogical levels for long either. Most men on TRT used to have normal levels of T so replacing it just restores a normal feeling not a roid rage.

(02-04-2017 12:21 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I mean my sex drive is ok, I jerk off like 2-8 times a day and have since I was 16 lol So I didn't think I needed additional testosterone.

Your libido can be fine but your muscles are looking for repair material. That said you can be quite strong and fit with low T. There are a few professional NFL players and clean powerlifters who have always had low T and didn't even know it. TRT is not for everyone and given you've already tried it may not be for you either. I know is that I lose weight and gain lean muscle mass just by nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, weightlifitng a couple hours a month, and sitting on my previously fat ass. Exercise significantly raises cortisol which is only useful in tiny doses to trigger repairs, too much over a sustained period interferes with them and causes all sort of nasty inflammatory effects throughout the body.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-04-2017, 11:09 AM
(30-03-2017 08:29 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I thought it would be interesting to see what the forum's opinion on this.
If someone is morbidly obese and it is impacting their health viciously in a negative way, but said person was okay with that and appreciated their body, should someone intervene and try to convince that person to lose weight?

I just saw a few videos on YouTube about it and thought it'd be a fun discussion.

I think it depends on the circumstances.

I work with someone who is morbidly obese. She doesn't seem to appreciate her body and claims to be trying to lose weight but I tend to see her eating chocolate, junk food and talking about mcdonalds a lot and avoiding walking anywhere.

I don't intervene because the woman is older than me, she knows what she's doing and she isn't a family relative or close friend who I feel comfortable talking about such a personal thing to.

There's also another man I work with who was morbidly obese but had a gastric bypass so he's now just obese. Again, claims to be trying to lose weight but he's even worse for eating pack after pack of junk food, chocolate, chrisps and sweets.
I give him advice in passing convo but don't think it's my job to confront unless he was part of my family or a close friend.
02-04-2017, 11:39 AM
What do you guys think of this?

‘Stomach tap’ to let obese people empty their gut after eating

A device that allows people to empty a portion of their stomach contents into a toilet after a meal has just got the go-ahead from the US Food and Drug Administration. The device is approved for use by people who are severely obese, defined as having a body mass index of over 35 kg/m2.

The stomach-churning device, which is already available in some European countries, involves a tube being placed into the stomach in a short surgical procedure. The end of the tube contains a valve that lies flush against the skin.

Normally it is kept closed, but after meals, the person can connect the valve to another tube to drain about a third of their partially digested food into the toilet. It cannot remove more food than this, because the end of the internal tube is positioned higher than most of the stomach’s contents.

Manufacturer Aspire Bariatrics, based in Pennsylvania, says users need to chew their food well and eat more slowly to stop the 6 millimetre tube from getting blocked, and that this in itself helps reduce overeating.

“You get some solid chunks,” says Kathy Crothall, head of Aspire Bariatrics. “If a patient doesn’t chew their food very carefully they won’t get anything out of this device.”

The device, called AspireAssist, has a safety feature within the valve that means it can only be used three times a day for up to six weeks. After this time it stops working and part of the device must be replaced.

In a trial of 171 people, those who used the device alongside lifestyle counselling lost 14 per cent of their body weight after one year, compared with 5 per cent in people who received counselling alone.

The company says people who have the AspireAssist device implanted need to have regular blood tests to check their electrolyte levels, which can go awry when people are frequently sick.
In trials, side effects have included indigestion, nausea and vomiting. There is also a risk that after people have the device removed, a permanent fissure could open up between the stomach and the abdominal wall.

“I can see it may give some patients a greater feeling of control over their condition, but worry this – like so many treatments today – fails to do anything about the real cause of the illness,” says David Unwin, a GP in Southport, UK.

Losing weight and keeping it off by diet alone is notoriously difficult, with an estimated 64 to 95 per cent of dieters returning to their original weight, or even ending up heavier.

The most successful treatment for obesity is to have a gastric bypass, in which the intestines are replumbed to reduce food absorption, although this has some health risks.

Other unusual approaches include having a pacemaker device implanted that stimulates a nerve between the brain and the stomach, which is supposed to reduce appetite. There is also a balloon-like device, which is implanted into the stomach and then inflated so that people feel more full.

(I'm deeply uncomfortable telling others what to do, not least of all, because of the way a lot of my relatives are (and not just because of my very deep-seated fear of offending anyone) and it must something very very serious and someone very very close for me to speak up. And even then... It's complicated)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
02-04-2017, 11:45 AM
(02-04-2017 11:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  What do you guys think of this?

‘Stomach tap’ to let obese people empty their gut after eating

A device that allows people to empty a portion of their stomach contents into a toilet after a meal has just got the go-ahead from the US Food and Drug Administration. The device is approved for use by people who are severely obese, defined as having a body mass index of over 35 kg/m2.

The stomach-churning device, which is already available in some European countries, involves a tube being placed into the stomach in a short surgical procedure. The end of the tube contains a valve that lies flush against the skin.

Normally it is kept closed, but after meals, the person can connect the valve to another tube to drain about a third of their partially digested food into the toilet. It cannot remove more food than this, because the end of the internal tube is positioned higher than most of the stomach’s contents.

Manufacturer Aspire Bariatrics, based in Pennsylvania, says users need to chew their food well and eat more slowly to stop the 6 millimetre tube from getting blocked, and that this in itself helps reduce overeating.

“You get some solid chunks,” says Kathy Crothall, head of Aspire Bariatrics. “If a patient doesn’t chew their food very carefully they won’t get anything out of this device.”

The device, called AspireAssist, has a safety feature within the valve that means it can only be used three times a day for up to six weeks. After this time it stops working and part of the device must be replaced.

In a trial of 171 people, those who used the device alongside lifestyle counselling lost 14 per cent of their body weight after one year, compared with 5 per cent in people who received counselling alone.

The company says people who have the AspireAssist device implanted need to have regular blood tests to check their electrolyte levels, which can go awry when people are frequently sick.
In trials, side effects have included indigestion, nausea and vomiting. There is also a risk that after people have the device removed, a permanent fissure could open up between the stomach and the abdominal wall.

“I can see it may give some patients a greater feeling of control over their condition, but worry this – like so many treatments today – fails to do anything about the real cause of the illness,” says David Unwin, a GP in Southport, UK.

Losing weight and keeping it off by diet alone is notoriously difficult, with an estimated 64 to 95 per cent of dieters returning to their original weight, or even ending up heavier.

The most successful treatment for obesity is to have a gastric bypass, in which the intestines are replumbed to reduce food absorption, although this has some health risks.

Other unusual approaches include having a pacemaker device implanted that stimulates a nerve between the brain and the stomach, which is supposed to reduce appetite. There is also a balloon-like device, which is implanted into the stomach and then inflated so that people feel more full.

(I'm deeply uncomfortable telling others what to do, not least of all, because of the way a lot of my relatives are (and not just because of my very deep-seated fear of offending anyone) and it must something very very serious and someone very very close for me to speak up. And even then... It's complicated)

Shudder...that's like Bionic Bulimia and still doesn't address the issue of fixing the underlying reasons for overeating.

I may never eat again. urp

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-04-2017, 11:51 AM
(02-04-2017 11:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  What do you guys think of this?

Bulimic salad dressing is cheaper.

[Image: ipecac_zps5aqhoawh.jpeg]

#sigh
02-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Bionic Bulimia - this is brilliant, Anj! And sounds like a band's name Thumbsup

Oh my god, Girly, did you have to? Blink Though it's a smarter solution that sticking your finger down your throat, I'll give you that

I found it repulsive too. Also - it's a criminal waste of food. And I'm a hundred and fifty percent sure that there will be people who use it just so that they can stuff their faces with as much crap as they want

02-04-2017, 12:09 PM
(02-04-2017 11:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  Other unusual approaches include having a pacemaker device implanted that stimulates a nerve between the brain and the stomach, which is supposed to reduce appetite.

I remember reading about this how the vagus nerve is involved in appetite suppression. Seems like there could be something to it but don't think they've quite worked out how to properly modulate its signalling yet.

#sigh
02-04-2017, 12:20 PM
(02-04-2017 12:02 PM)Vera Wrote:  Bionic Bulimia - this is brilliant, Anj! And sounds like a band's name Thumbsup

Oh my god, Girly, did you have to? Blink Though it's a smarter solution that sticking your finger down your throat, I'll give you that

I found it repulsive too. Also - it's a criminal waste of food. And I'm a hundred and fifty percent sure that there will be people who use it just so that they can stuff their faces with as much crap as they want

Bionic Bulimia would be a great band name. Big Grin

I don't understand bulimia anyway...I will do almost anything to keep from throwing up...I have a phobia about it, in fact...there's probably a name for it but I don't care. It's part of the reason that as a teen I tended to stay away from friends and classmates when they decided to go drinking...someone, somewhere was going to start puking and then my night was over with. Some people are quite blasé about throwing up...I am more 'kill me before I throw up, please'.

Yeah it's a waste of food but that is low on my ick factor rating scale.

blurgh...I think I need to go lay down.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-04-2017, 12:33 PM
(02-04-2017 12:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Bionic Bulimia would be a great band name. Big Grin

I don't understand bulimia anyway...I will do almost anything to keep from throwing up...I have a phobia about it, in fact...there's probably a name for it but I don't care. It's part of the reason that as a teen I tended to stay away from friends and classmates when they decided to go drinking...someone, somewhere was going to start puking and then my night was over with. Some people are quite blasé about throwing up...I am more 'kill me before I throw up, please'.

Yeah it's a waste of food but that is low on my ick factor rating scale.

blurgh...I think I need to go lay down.
Absolutely know what you mean!

Then I started having really bad... episodes (I think it was some form of PMS), where the pain was so unbearable (the first time I almost called an ambulance. But I didn't, cause am dumb and stubborn Rolleyes ) that after several such episodes I wanted to throw up because it was the only thing that made it tolerable... for a while (not to be too disgusting, but I would throw up so much, like 20 times in a couple of days, without eating, that my throat would hurt like hell from the stomach acid and freaking water tasted SWEET. Believe you me, the act of throwing up per se was the least horrible of it all.) Luckily, those stopped several years ago (though am now having migraines or some other form of headache which sometimes have a similar side to them, though nowhere near as bad)

What all this repulsiveness was in aid of, was to say that I used to be terrified of throwing up, but I've grown accustomed to his, my face (never in a lifetime would I grow accustomed to that Confused ) to throwing up...

02-04-2017, 12:42 PM
(02-04-2017 07:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 06:53 AM)Leerob Wrote:  So I did not read 8 pages of answers, therefore maybe some things have been said already but here are my two cents:

I am not saying that fat and morbidly obese people can't be pretty, because many actually are. And anyway, what's beautiful is a matter of taste and it is very subjective. So I am not even going to get into that.

A lot of fat or morbidly obese people are lieing to themselves. They don't realise because they are good at it.
"It's not that bad"
"There are people fatter than me"
"I can still walk"
"I don't even have diabetes"
"My blood works came out just fine"
and so on

But here is the reality that no morbidly obese person can ignore and this is the blank and pure truth:
* Tie your shoelaces
* Lift your legs / step over raised ground
* Problems shaving (legs / private parts)
* Breathlessness when bending over
* Issues fitting through tight places
* Difficulty finding scales that support your weight
* Constant feeling of hunger / too big appetite
* Pains in joins / back pains
* Unable to do normal physical excersize because the stomach is in the way (normal situps / normal pushups, etc)
* Thin skin / rashes / itchy stretch marks / etc
* Can't buy clothes easily in regular clothing stores
* Issues with blood (cholesterol, sugar, vitamins, etc) from poor diet and/or simply because there is so much fat on the body
* Problems with certain organs (liver / kidney / heart)
and more

So hiding behind "I'm fine" is not gonna cut it because that's not true.
Another person interfering usually doesn't do anything though so it is really up to that person to be fed up to the point where they say "Ok, enough is enough"
And that takes a lot of time because naturally we try to find excuses.
"I always dealt with this even before I was fat"
"A lot of slim people have the same issue"
"Stop diagnosing me based on my weight"
"It's just how my body/metabolism works"
Know those lines?

My experience:
I have always been slim. Never thin but always slim. Always pretty muscular.
When I was about 23 or so, I started gaining weight. I hadn't changed anything in my activity or diet, it just happened. It wasn't much either so it was kinda sneaking up on me.
Then I moved in with a person (shared flat) and we always cooked for everybody. Most of the time she did because nobody liked my healthy food (low in fat, low in sugar, very veggie based, etc) so I ate what she cooked and she cooked very heavy food. Naturally that helped my weight gain. I also stopped excersizing as much and that helped my weight gain as well.
At first it wasn't too bad. I didn't care really. I wasn't happy about it but I didn't care. I was still able to do everything normally, just I had a little more belly now.
The problem is, I started liking that life style and that made me get fatter and fatter with the normal thing happening that as you get older your metabolism also slows down.
Then I started trying all those great diet regimes. Dukan, low carb, high protein, etc etc. Broke my metabolism a little more.
So at some point it wasn't the lack of trying anymore but I had broken my metabolism with this abuse.
Believe me I know a lot about nutrition, health, excersize but knowing and doing are two different things.
I knew a few years ago that I should lose weight but my heart wasn't there.
You know what was the turning point for me?
I really love physical activities but at this point I just cannot do it anymore. I went ziplining twice last year and couldn't do the hard ones because I didn't trust my body anymore. I went on a mudrun that I couldn't complete, not even close, because I can't even hop over a low hurdle. It is ridiculous. And I started noticing more and more things recently that I hate and the only reason I hate those things is because I am fat because otherwise they wouldn't be an issue.
Also I finally have the diagnose for some of my issues and my doctor is super thorough and checked everything from blood to organs and so on. And the only thing left is, well I am fat and I need to lose weight. So those things combined drove the message home for me.
So this month I signed up with the gym and started going, I started eating better, and snacking less.
See, not even the doctor was able to make me lose weight. I had to come to the realisation myself.

Now in the end, I would like to touch on the topic of "fat shaming" a little bit. I feel that this is one of those new things that are taboo and "just don't offend anybody". So I am ok to call out a meth addict and say to them "look you need help, what you are doing is horrible for your health, you are literally killing yourself" and I can say the same to an alcoholic, a smoker, a person that is too thin, someone who eats too salty, someone who drinks too much coffee, etc. But for some reason, I cannot say the same thing to a fat person? How is that making sense? Am I coffee shaming, when I tell my friend "look, 5 cups of coffee a day is too much, you should try to drink less coffee"? Why is it not ok to tell a fat person "Sorry but maybe you should not have this 5th chocolate bar today. How about you go for a walk instead?"
The only feedback that is not ok is the feedback that does nothing for the person. Just shouting "you are fat and disgusting" isn't doing anything but cause misery. But telling the person, with good intentions, what they are doing wrong and how they can do better, I see no harm in it. Not when it is a stranger but friends, family, etc It should always be ok to try and help a fellow human being.

Ok done.

The friend I spoke of earlier had to have been embarrassed by her ever-increasing weight. I can't imagine being able to lie away the truth to the extent that she did.

One day she sat on my couch and broke one of the legs off of it. We had a gathering after getting a new table and chairs (new to us anyway) and when she sat on a chair the seat split all the way down the middle. Not a word was ever said about these events but she knew and I knew what happened.

When we went somewhere together I always insisted that she drive, under the pretense that she knew her way around town better than I did. In truth, it's because they wore cars out due to her weight crushing the seats and damaging the suspension.

She and her family used to tease me because of how little food I prepared for a family of five. Granted my kids were younger than hers but they would, every night, cook enough food that my family could have eaten for a week and still not consumed it all. It was sheer volume of the food that was consumed in that house that was astonishing.

After a day of shopping together we were heading back on base and she asked if I wanted to stop at a fast food place for a snack. It was mid-afternoon so I was thinking maybe a drink or a small ice cream since it was getting close to suppertime. She ordered a full combo meal...that was what she considered a snack. That day really showed me how differently she and I looked at food.

It's easy for me to wonder how people become so heavy since food is low priority for me and I have the genetics of slender or average sized people. But I know I am lucky not to fight that battle. If I was addicted to eating....it's not illegal, it's easily accessible, we all have to eat...it has to be hard to have to control an addiction to food when you can't forego eating altogether.

Food is love, and as children of children of the depression, many of us were overfed with the intent that "my kids will never go hungry". I think that mentality had a lot to do with the fattening of the US.
I've been practicing portion control in a dedicated manner for the first time in my 56 years.
It's been 4 months now, and the old habits are lurking below the surface at all times.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post