Poll: Body Autonomy & Self Termination
Yes, anyone should have the right to choose to die.
No, no one should have the right to choose to die.
Yes, but only people who are terminal should have the right to die as they choose.
I don't care one way or another.
[Show Results]

Body Autonomy, How Far Should That Extend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Body Autonomy, How Far Should That Extend?
I am and have always been, very pro-body autonomy even to the extent of taking your own life, if that is what you choose.

In some countries, some of our states included, the right to die, if you are terminally ill, is being protected by law. In other countries some have the right to die even if they are not terminal.

I know much of our cultural angst is religious based on this issue. Taking the decision from god is how it is seen and in most cases a sin. This doesn't apply to me or many people but even if it's not a huge taboo in a persons religion the majority of people are against it or against it for the non-ternimal.

What say you?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2016, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2016 06:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Body Autonomy, How Far Should That Extend?
I work in a hospital .. and see many complex "terminal" situations. There needs to be more choices in the poll .. but in the end, competent people should be able to decide when life becomes unbearable, in consultation with their loved ones, or be able to state ahead of time, what their wishes would be, in certain "terminal" circumstances. In the absence of that, their families should be able to decide for them, what, ... based on their prior conversations, they feel would be their wishes in the circumstances they find themselves in. Each one is different .. but compassion leads one to what is best, IMO.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-02-2016, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2016 09:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
Anyone who is compos mentis has that right. It's like the only truly inalienable right I can imagine. "Just cut off the oxygen and flood the mask with nitrogen. No pain. No gagging. No discomfort. I won't even notice." Don't know why they don't do that for executions.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2016, 06:46 PM
I like Bucky's answer, and I voted for allowing anyone to terminate. However, if a person has some mental condition that is causing suicidal thoughts that can be mediated with medication, I'd want that tried first.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
27-02-2016, 06:51 PM
(27-02-2016 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Anyone who is compos mentis has that right. It's like the only truly inalienable right I can imagine. "Just cut off the oxygen and flood the mask with nitrogen. No pain. No gagging. No discomfort. I won't even notice." Don't know why they don't that for executions.

People who asphyxiate get into a fast breathing mode that people around them don't like to watch, and it takes awhile to die. I don't see how that is worse than the electric chair, though. Nitrogen is also a shit-ton cheaper than anything else. Hell, for that matter carbon monoxide is a lot more lethal. It's what is used in a lot of places for euthanizing animals.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-02-2016, 07:25 PM
(27-02-2016 06:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I like Bucky's answer, and I voted for allowing anyone to terminate. However, if a person has some mental condition that is causing suicidal thoughts that can be mediated with medication, I'd want that tried first.

If they are agreeable to that, yes, if not then no. The point for me is that no matter what, you and you alone have the right to decide even if that decision is not what others want. I wouldn't want my kids to have more say on my life than I do even if I was mentally ill. Some people can't face their children or the guilt that might accompany that.

But I would make one stipulation and that is you must be an adult to make that call. If it is in the case of a child, then the child must be terminally ill.

If there were more painless and safer ways to end you life by going to professional doctors I think it would be so much better than trying to do it yourself. You could do it in the comfort of your own home without worrying your family will find you. So many things to consider that would be better if you could select this and do it with competent help.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
27-02-2016, 07:43 PM
(27-02-2016 07:25 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  If they are agreeable to that, yes, if not then no. The point for me is that no matter what, you and you alone have the right to decide even if that decision is not what others want. I wouldn't want my kids to have more say on my life than I do even if I was mentally ill. Some people can't face their children or the guilt that might accompany that.

But I would make one stipulation and that is you must be an adult to make that call. If it is in the case of a child, then the child must be terminally ill.

If there were more painless and safer ways to end you life by going to professional doctors I think it would be so much better than trying to do it yourself. You could do it in the comfort of your own home without worrying your family will find you. So many things to consider that would be better if you could select this and do it with competent help.

Well said. I agree 100%. When my time comes, by my own judgement, I want to be in charge of when and how. To me, it's the one truly inalienable right we have.

Oh, and Oregon has the "Death with Dignity" law, where you can go to a doc to get a prescription if you are terminal. You have to be able to take it yourself. It is not administered.

I have seen horrible suffering inflicted by conflicted relatives who just could not let go. It is very important that one have a living will. And instructions as to when and when not to resuscitate via a "do not resuscitate" document (it doesn't mean they will never do it, you just get to pick when they do and don't).

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-02-2016, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2016 08:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-02-2016 06:51 PM)Fireball Wrote:  People who asphyxiate get into a fast breathing mode that people around them don't like to watch, and it takes awhile to die. I don't see how that is worse than the electric chair, though. Nitrogen is also a shit-ton cheaper than anything else. Hell, for that matter carbon monoxide is a lot more lethal. It's what is used in a lot of places for euthanizing animals.

They don't go into a fast breathing guppy gulping fit if it's nitrogen asphyxiation. It's just bye bye. 15 seconds and you're just out. Few minutes later you dead. We are used to nitrogen. We would never expect it to choke us. So long and thanks for all the fish.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-02-2016, 09:28 PM
(27-02-2016 07:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 06:51 PM)Fireball Wrote:  People who asphyxiate get into a fast breathing mode that people around them don't like to watch, and it takes awhile to die. I don't see how that is worse than the electric chair, though. Nitrogen is also a shit-ton cheaper than anything else. Hell, for that matter carbon monoxide is a lot more lethal. It's what is used in a lot of places for euthanizing animals.

They don't go into a fast breathing guppy gulping fit if it's nitrogen asphyxiation. It's just bye bye. 15 seconds and you're just out. Few minutes later you dead. We are used to nitrogen. We would never expect it to choke us. So long and thanks for all the fish.

That was kind of rattling around in the back of my head, based on confined space training I have received. We were told three breaths and you are dead in a pure nitrogen environment. But I also recall reading about how people died an Dresden during the firebombing (those who weren't actually burnt), and I may have remembered incorrectly.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Aren't we all inherently terminal? Smile It should always be your right to die with dignity.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes philosopher's post