Poll: Body Autonomy & Self Termination
Yes, anyone should have the right to choose to die.
No, no one should have the right to choose to die.
Yes, but only people who are terminal should have the right to die as they choose.
I don't care one way or another.
[Show Results]

Body Autonomy, How Far Should That Extend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2016, 11:40 PM
RE: Body Autonomy, How Far Should That Extend?
When expediting your own death is a quicker end to the inevitable, such as with a terminal illness, I think it should be each person's choice as to when and how.

I am less convinced when suicide is seen as a way to end what is probably a temporary situation or when it's a mental health issue that could be helped through appropriate care.

I don't think it should be a spur of the moment decision. An emotional act during a time of duress isn't the same as a decision made after careful consideration of an inevitable and quite foreseeable end.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
28-02-2016, 12:01 AM
(27-02-2016 11:32 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  But some tire of the constant struggle and only want peace. I agree if you want to fight the good fight but why should anyone be forced to do so?

If nothing else we should get to own our death.

Bolding mine. Damned straight.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
28-02-2016, 12:40 AM
(27-02-2016 06:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I like Bucky's answer, and I voted for allowing anyone to terminate. However, if a person has some mental condition that is causing suicidal thoughts that can be mediated with medication, I'd want that tried first.

This. Although, now that I'm following Christianity again, it would tell me something different.

Be true to yourself. Heart
28-02-2016, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 12:58 AM by GirlyMan.)
(27-02-2016 09:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  We should have the right to choose when its our time to tap out. However I would hope someone would seek help if they are feeling that way, as death is very final.

I live in Oregon which was the first state to have right to death laws, they are strict but I'm glad they are there for the terminally ill.

Yeah. The law don't really enter into it as long as I know what I'm doing. They can charge my fat ass postmortem. Can't think of any law more stupid than "Thou shall not off thyself." Watch me fool.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-02-2016, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 01:03 AM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2016 12:40 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 06:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I like Bucky's answer, and I voted for allowing anyone to terminate. However, if a person has some mental condition that is causing suicidal thoughts that can be mediated with medication, I'd want that tried first.

This. Although, now that I'm following Christianity again, it would tell me something different.

What? What would it tell you now? No sumo. I am genuinely curious. You ain't got no mark against you for going back to Jesus. Some of us are quite interested in your story. Me, I can't get away from the fucker no matter how hard I try.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-02-2016, 01:22 AM
(28-02-2016 12:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:40 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  This. Although, now that I'm following Christianity again, it would tell me something different.

What? What would it tell you now? No sumo. I am genuinely curious. You ain't got no mark against you for going back to Jesus. Some of us are quite interested in your story. Me, I can't get away from the fucker no matter how hard I try.

You are interested? Aw, ok. Shy I will share it perhaps another time. Christianity ...depending on the denomination, often portrays suicide as a 'sin.' Having said that, I believe that no one can really tell another how to live their life, or what is causing them to wish to take their life. I don't believe that it can be as cut and dry as some Christians would have me believe. Depression, mental illness, severe pain and anguish, etc....these are all possible reasons why someone might take his/her life, and not up for me to judge. From my own faith perspective, it's really between God and the person.

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
28-02-2016, 02:10 AM
I could say that I don't give a damn about religion position of ending one life but that would be a lie. I find the stance prohibiting such essential liberty as right to die with dignity to be despicable in the extreme. Every time I hear shit about suffering building character or something that must be endured cause god wills it I want to beat shit of idiot uttering such words and ask if he feel any nobler.

In short people should have right to end their life when they want, preferably with help of a doctor so it would be painless. It's their life and their decision; no one have right to rob human of such essential right. How we could speak of bodily autonomy without being able to escape prison of flesh?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
28-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Some say that suicide is selfish -- as it robs others of you.

But isn't that them being selfish????

Plain and simple -- it's your party and you can leave anytime you want.

But who wants to leave the only party in town????

This is the only one you get.

It's gotta be pretty bad before nothing is better than something.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-02-2016, 07:26 AM
(28-02-2016 12:40 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  

So you are not "following Christianity" 100%?
Oh, and which Christianity is it that you are not following 100%?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-02-2016, 10:25 AM
(28-02-2016 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 12:40 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  This. Although, now that I'm following Christianity again, it would tell me something different.

So you are not "following Christianity" 100%?
Oh, and which Christianity is it that you are not following 100%?

We've always been kind to each other on here. Don't let me returning to faith ...taint that.

Funny how people can treat you differently, depending on your faith beliefs.