Body Image Websites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2017, 08:29 AM
RE: Body Image Websites
(02-11-2017 08:16 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 07:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think one of the weird things about body image is that oftentimes, no one else sees what you do. For instance, I see your pics and I think you have a nice figure.

It's so weird to me now looking back on my calorie restricting days. I thought I needed to be a size zero to be pretty and sexy and yet, I had no boobs, no hips, and no ass. Then, when I started gaining weight to a healthy weight, I got curves like a woman should have and I started getting more attention from the opposite sex than I did when I was skin and bones. Anyway, now I like my curves. Tongue

It just really angers me that society has this ridiculous ideal of how a woman should look in terms of being a size zero. It's not attainable and it goes against the natural way our bodies are supposed to be.

Well thanks! Blush You should see me in person, you'd probably have a different opinion. Tongue Ahhhh, I kid... sorta.

I agree, too, that it's unattainable for the majority of healthy women. Especially when you become an adult that's more focused on life than on maintaining some pie-in-the-sky unhealthy and painful beauty standard.

I wear a size 10R women's (at least, in Target and Old Navy- every fucking store is different with bullshit vanity sizing lol), that's about a 30 or so in men's. In dresses and shirts, I wear a size L. I'm not interested in reducing my pant-size or dress-size.

And I'm good with that. Thumbsup

Oh- and, Jenny- if you have any yoga recommendations, I'd love some tips! Especially if you can suggest YT videos or anything. Heart I really really want to make it a habit/routine for my life.

If you don't mind a monthly fee, yogaglo is amazing. I think it's 18 bucks a month for unlimited usage. Yoga by Candace on YouTube also great. I'm so glad you are getting into yoga Smile It was life changing for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-11-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm 5'10" and about 180 pounds.

I managed to get myself down to almost 170 a year ago with some fairly reasonable* dieting, but then I stopped, and put pretty much all of it back on. I'd like to resume said diet in earnest and drop down to about 165. I've always been quite slender, and despite efforts in my teens and 20's, I can't really build much muscle bulk. I can get noticeably stronger and more tone, but I never get bigger. So, I'm fine realizing that I'm always going to be fairly slender, which makes me think 165 is probably a good target weight.

* This was through very little change to what I eat, but mostly to portion control and not snacking at night. If left to my own devices, I'll probably have one beer and one or two snacks every night, which is probably good for 500-750 calories (or more!). There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat, which means if I can drop 500 a day, I'll lose about a pound a week. I could theoretically hit my target weight inside of four months if I could just stop making excuses for why I "deserve" this or that multiple times a day.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-11-2017, 08:36 AM
I hate pretty much everything about how I look, no matter what shape I'm in. A positive body image isn't something I'll ever achieve, but in a weird way, understanding that it's an impossibility helps. I just remind myself that there are other things I can think about and (try to) shift focus.

I wish I'd come to this understanding earlier in my life. Many's the time that I was facing a personal opportunity which I'd sidestep by getting obsessed with losing a few pounds first.

I think the positive body image websites can be helpful to many people, especially if the focus is on how to keep oneself active and energized for the long term.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
02-11-2017, 08:42 AM
(02-11-2017 08:36 AM)julep Wrote:  I hate pretty much everything about how I look, no matter what shape I'm in. A positive body image isn't something I'll ever achieve, but in a weird way, understanding that it's an impossibility helps. I just remind myself that there are other things I can think about and (try to) shift focus.

I wish I'd come to this understanding earlier in my life. Many's the time that I was facing a personal opportunity which I'd sidestep by getting obsessed with losing a few pounds first.

I think the positive body image websites can be helpful to many people, especially if the focus is on how to keep oneself active and energized for the long term.

I also think the websites are good in terms of showcasing what women really look like. Most women are not a size zero even though the modeling industry tries to perpetuate that. I really wish they would start using normal looking women in ads. I've seen it happen on occasion but very rarely.
02-11-2017, 09:02 AM
(02-11-2017 08:42 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:36 AM)julep Wrote:  I hate pretty much everything about how I look, no matter what shape I'm in. A positive body image isn't something I'll ever achieve, but in a weird way, understanding that it's an impossibility helps. I just remind myself that there are other things I can think about and (try to) shift focus.

I also think the websites are good in terms of showcasing what women really look like. Most women are not a size zero even though the modeling industry tries to perpetuate that. I really wish they would start using normal looking women in ads. I've seen it happen on occasion but very rarely.

More for the guys I suppose, but there was a TV program on here in UK some time ago, re: Penis Size.

Being a dude, it's all about "how big" it is, because for some unknown reason that's part of a similar social pressure. As a man, apparently you have to be at least 6ft tall, proper ripped and have a massive schlong lol.

In the program, they quizzed some women on the street about what a "good size" is, and to demonstrate using their hands to show the size. They did so, and then they actually measured the distance between hands that they'd done. Some where so laughably huge, that it's no wonder most average guys get stressed out about it.

At the end, they had a display of sorts, showing photographs of I think like 100 men, and their ding-dongs, to literally show not everybody has/should have a 10 inch member, and that all guys are different from that area, but also in body shape/size etc.

I imagine there is a similar pressure on women regarding breast size as well, but it was something that really highlighted an image that we all randomly have, mentally, yet in real life is total rubbish and makes no sense.
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
02-11-2017, 09:14 AM
(02-11-2017 09:02 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:42 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I also think the websites are good in terms of showcasing what women really look like. Most women are not a size zero even though the modeling industry tries to perpetuate that. I really wish they would start using normal looking women in ads. I've seen it happen on occasion but very rarely.

More for the guys I suppose, but there was a TV program on here in UK some time ago, re: Penis Size.

Being a dude, it's all about "how big" it is, because for some unknown reason that's part of a similar social pressure. As a man, apparently you have to be at least 6ft tall, proper ripped and have a massive schlong lol.

In the program, they quizzed some women on the street about what a "good size" is, and to demonstrate using their hands to show the size. They did so, and then they actually measured the distance between hands that they'd done. Some where so laughably huge, that it's no wonder most average guys get stressed out about it.

At the end, they had a display of sorts, showing photographs of I think like 100 men, and their ding-dongs, to literally show not everybody has/should have a 10 inch member, and that all guys are different from that area, but also in body shape/size etc.

I imagine there is a similar pressure on women regarding breast size as well, but it was something that really highlighted an image that we all randomly have, mentally, yet in real life is total rubbish and makes no sense.

The flip side of having boobs is some guys associate that with your intelligence level. Or they have no problems grabbing your boobs if you have a chest and I'm talking being groped by random jerks.

As far as the male schlong, I think huge is overrated. Too big and it freakin' hurts. I prefer the guy I'm with to have a normal sized one.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
02-11-2017, 09:14 AM
I am a supporter of the "movement" of body positivity in general. While it's obvious that obesity carries a host of associated health issues it's pretty clear that shaming people and making them feel worthless and horrible about themselves over their physical appearance is the exact wrong way to approach any kind of discussion about any legitimate health concerns that might be associated with their weight. When people feel like their own bodies are their enemy they'll be predisposed to losing the battle for improving their own health.

I'm 6' and currently weigh 189lbs. A year and a half ago I was at my heaviest at just about 220. I've lost 30lbs in that time primarily by just changing some unhealthy habits. I've cut down on beer, on carbs in general, I eat more fruits and vegetables, rarely touch red meat (I've always preferred poultry and fish to beef anyway) and the biggest one has been not snacking after dinner. My worst habit was always once the kids were in bed my wife and I would hunker down to watch some grown-up TV and enjoy a little child-free time together and whether I was actually hungry or not I would snack on something just to pass the time. Then I'd go to bed with a full stomach and not put those calories to any kind of use. I've just about eliminated this practice.

So yeah at age 38 I lost 30 pounds by doing almost nothing. I also have dimples and long eyelashes. My wife hates me, lol.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
02-11-2017, 09:18 AM
(02-11-2017 08:42 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I really wish they would start using normal looking women in ads. I've seen it happen on occasion but very rarely.

Yeah, it is rare, but I do notice it sometimes. Of course, the fact that I notice it probably means it is quite rare and unusual.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Well, I don't concern myself with stuff like this too much but I'm 5'6"and 112 pounds. I don't work at it or anything but I'm not a foodie and never have been. Even as a child I was the kid in the family that hardly ever ate. Remember the little brother in The Christmas Story that played with his potatoes?......that was me. Eat food? Pfffft! No, no, no. Food was put on my plate for me to play with. I'd make pictures with the peas and carrots and bits of meat. I was too busy being imaginative to eat it.

But I pretty much loath cooking. So I grab a handful of lettus or spinich and eat it out of my hand. I grab an apple or a bunch of nuts. A bowl of hot or cold cereal is good. Anything that's easy and quick is what I go for. Complex cooking for me involves making a tuna sandwich. Laugh out load If it involves chopping, stirring, baking or frying I bitch about it. Yeah, I'll do it in a pinch, but I'm non too happy with the process. That being said, I eat very healthfully. If I could take a pill for sustanance instead of eating I'd prefer that. Crazy, huh?

I do love chocolate though. Big Grin Food of the gods! Drooling

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-11-2017, 09:21 AM
(02-11-2017 09:14 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I am a supporter of the "movement" of body positivity in general. While it's obvious that obesity carries a host of associated health issues it's pretty clear that shaming people and making them feel worthless and horrible about themselves over their physical appearance is the exact wrong way to approach any kind of discussion about any legitimate health concerns that might be associated with their weight. When people feel like their own bodies are their enemy they'll be predisposed to losing the battle for improving their own health.

I'm 6' and currently weigh 189lbs. A year and a half ago I was at my heaviest at just about 220. I've lost 30lbs in that time primarily by just changing some unhealthy habits. I've cut down on beer, on carbs in general, I eat more fruits and vegetables, rarely touch red meat (I've always preferred poultry and fish to beef anyway) and the biggest one has been not snacking after dinner. My worst habit was always once the kids were in bed my wife and I would hunker down to watch some grown-up TV and enjoy a little child-free time together and whether I was actually hungry or not I would snack on something just to pass the time. Then I'd go to bed with a full stomach and not put those calories to any kind of use. I've just about eliminated this practice.

So yeah at age 38 I lost 30 pounds by doing almost nothing. I also have dimples and long eyelashes. My wife hates me, lol.

I think that's a good point: obesity is obviously not healthy but I think a positive body image or at least body acceptance and getting out from under society's ideal, no matter what size you are at, can be helpful in making more healthful changes.