06-12-2017, 11:39 PM
RE: Body Image Websites
My turn Smile

Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 216 lbs

According to the WHO's BMI chart that makes me obese. Dodgy

I'm not sure I agree with them... Consider

[Image: U9Ttx7f.jpg]

I was a skinny kid growing up. My mom cooked real food, we lived in the country and had a LOT of room to run around outside, desert was rare and they limited TV and computer time. I also did Taekwondo which helped keep me in shape.

I switched to wrestling in high school. I was in the 125 lb weight class my freshman year and about 5% bodyfat. I weighed 135 lbs when I graduated and maintained that through college. I started lifting weights in college but didn't eat enough, so I didn't grow.

It wasn't until I went into public accounting that I understood first hand how people get fat. Every tax season my diet would go to shit and I'd stop working out. Then I spent the rest of the year trying to lose the weight I gained during the first 3.5 months of the year. Dodgy

Skipping ahead...

Over the last year and half I gained and lost and gained back about 25 lbs on the dysfunctional relationship diet. First it was too much pizza and not enough sleep, then it was too much stress and anxiety and not enough sleep and then I overindulged on all my favorite foods I missed out on during the stress/anxiety phase. I'm currently in the process of working that off again in a more healthy manner. Rolleyes

As far as body acceptance goes, my general stance is that if you're happy and have a clean bill of health from your doctor you're good. Thumbsup

If you're not happy with where you are or don't have a clean bill of health, don't beat yourself up over it. You're not a failure, you're not lazy, or any other negative label and wanting and trying to change doesn't mean you have to not like the you you are now. Be kind to yourself. Heart

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
07-12-2017, 12:01 AM
(06-12-2017 11:39 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  My turn Smile

Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 216 lbs

According to the WHO's BMI chart that makes me obese. Dodgy

I'm not sure I agree with them... Consider

[Image: U9Ttx7f.jpg]

I was a skinny kid growing up. My mom cooked real food, we lived in the country and had a LOT of room to run around outside, desert was rare and they limited TV and computer time. I also did Taekwondo which helped keep me in shape.

I switched to wrestling in high school. I was in the 125 lb weight class my freshman year and about 5% bodyfat. I weighed 135 lbs when I graduated and maintained that through college. I started lifting weights in college but didn't eat enough, so I didn't grow.

It wasn't until I went into public accounting that I understood first hand how people get fat. Every tax season my diet would go to shit and I'd stop working out. Then I spent the rest of the year trying to lose the weight I gained during the first 3.5 months of the year. Dodgy

Skipping ahead...

Over the last year and half I gained and lost and gained back about 25 lbs on the dysfunctional relationship diet. First it was too much pizza and not enough sleep, then it was too much stress and anxiety and not enough sleep and then I overindulged on all my favorite foods I missed out on during the stress/anxiety phase. I'm currently in the process of working that off again in a more healthy manner. Rolleyes

As far as body acceptance goes, my general stance is that if you're happy and have a clean bill of health from your doctor you're good. Thumbsup

If you're not happy with where you are or don't have a clean bill of health, don't beat yourself up over it. You're not a failure, you're not lazy, or any other negative label and wanting and trying to change doesn't mean you have to not like the you you are now. Be kind to yourself. Heart

Handsome! Smile

I don't think those bmi charts are very effective. I weigh 135, one chart said my ideal weight is 130 for my height and frame. Well screw you Bmi chart! Tongue Plus my extra 5 pounds are all in my chest Laugh out load And I'm not giving up my chocolate cupcakes, so bite me, BMI chart. Wink

I think you look great. I'm sorry about your dysfunctional rship. It's good you got out if it was no longer making you happy.

I agree with being happy and healthy and taking care of yourself without getting hung up on the scale or on charts. I think everything falls into place if you (plural) eat with balance and exercise. Still have sweets just not all the time, balance that out with healthy foods. And move, find an activity you (plural) love. Those two things allow everything else to fall into place.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-12-2017, 03:01 AM
87 KG, not evenly dispensed. Trying to even it out with muscle mass. In short:

Used to weigh 97 KG though. So I've lost 10 KG in about 4 months or so. Neat.

[Image: x6DEbV5.gif]
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
07-12-2017, 06:06 AM
(07-12-2017 03:01 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  87 KG, not evenly dispensed. Trying to even it out with muscle mass. In short:

Wow good for you! Smile
07-12-2017, 08:17 AM
(07-12-2017 06:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 03:01 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  87 KG, not evenly dispensed. Trying to even it out with muscle mass. In short:

Wow good for you! Smile

[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
07-12-2017, 08:21 AM
(07-12-2017 08:17 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 06:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Wow good for you! Smile

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3532191]
07-12-2017, 08:25 AM
(07-12-2017 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 08:17 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3532191]

Sorry, but when anybody says "Good for you!" I'm hardwired to use that gem.

[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
07-12-2017, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 02:45 PM by skyking.)
I think that age is a relevant metric. We process things a little differently generation to generation. I am 56
I am 6'1" (1.85 meters) 224 pounds ( ~102 Kg) as of this morning. A year ago I was 305 pounds (~138 Kg). I am acutely aware of my changing body image, and how much it lags behind how I feel, how people tell me I look.
At every yoga class, I can't help but notice my belly when doing all the standing poses, as I am long in trunk and no shirt seems to be long enough.
My intention is to lose another ~35 pounds ultimately. I was as low as 218 when doing the most excercise and yoga classes, and then the new and better job came along and has kept me far busier. Ironically the old crappy job afforded me the easiest path to the gym and yoga classes, and despite the added physical aspect of the new job, I have lost some ground.
I struggled with obesity in childhood, grew out of it in puberty, and started an inevitable slide in my mid 20's.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
07-12-2017, 03:28 PM
(07-12-2017 02:31 PM)skyking Wrote:  I am 6'1" (1.85 meters) 224 pounds ( ~102 Kg) as of this morning. A year ago I was 305 pounds (~138 Kg). I am acutely aware of my changing body image, and how much it lags behind how I feel, how people tell me I look.
At every yoga class, I can't help but notice my belly when doing all the standing poses, as I am long in trunk and no shirt seems to be long enough.
My intention is to lose another ~35 pounds ultimately. I was as low as 218 when doing the most excercise and yoga classes, and then the new and better job came along and has kept me far busier. Ironically the old crappy job afforded me the easiest path to the gym and yoga classes, and despite the added physical aspect of the new job, I have lost some ground.
I struggled with obesity in childhood, grew out of it in puberty, and started an inevitable slide in my mid 20's.

I am so impressed by your weight loss journey Thumbsup I've been reading your updates in your thread as you go along. Smile
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
08-12-2017, 12:40 AM
(07-12-2017 12:01 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Handsome! Smile

I don't think those bmi charts are very effective. I weigh 135, one chart said my ideal weight is 130 for my height and frame. Well screw you Bmi chart! Tongue Plus my extra 5 pounds are all in my chest Laugh out load And I'm not giving up my chocolate cupcakes, so bite me, BMI chart. Wink

I think you look great. I'm sorry about your dysfunctional rship. It's good you got out if it was no longer making you happy.

I agree with being happy and healthy and taking care of yourself without getting hung up on the scale or on charts. I think everything falls into place if you (plural) eat with balance and exercise. Still have sweets just not all the time, balance that out with healthy foods. And move, find an activity you (plural) love. Those two things allow everything else to fall into place.

I agree with your BMI chart assessment. Body fat measuring scales are pretty useless too. I used to be kind of obsessive with skin calipers to track progress and body composition, but now I rely primarily on the mirror and how my jeans fit for feedback. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post