Body Image Websites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2017, 07:18 AM
RE: Body Image Websites
(06-12-2017 11:39 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 216 lbs
According to the WHO's BMI chart that makes me obese...

The BMI has recently been largely discredited as an "accurate" measurement of body health.

The BMI's' biggest flaw is that it doesn't take into account the person's body fat versus muscle, or lean tissue component. Muscle weighs more than fat—it's denser—a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. Therefore, BMI will invariably classify muscular, athletic people as fatter than they really are. A 6ft-tall Olympic 100m sprinter weighing 90kg (200lbs) may have the same BMI of 26 as a couch potato of the same height and weight.

(The "Quetelet Index"—since 1972 called BMI—was devised in the 1830s by Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet, a Belgian mathematician and statistician.)

Waist to height ratio is a better predictor of heart disease and diabetes risk than BMI says Dr Margaret Ashwell, an independent consultant and former science director of the British Nutrition Foundation.

And in 2013, Professor Nick Trefethen, a mathematician from Oxford University in the UK questioned the usefulness of the current BMI formula, calling it a "bizarre measure." He recommends a "new BMI calculator," which multiplies the weight by 1.3 for metric measures (kg), or by 5,734 for imperial measures (lb) and then divides that weight by height to the power of 2.5 instead of 2.

Anyway... my height is 178cm and my weight is 98kg. Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
09-12-2017, 11:37 AM
(09-12-2017 12:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 07:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Many of them have people posting pics of themselves, including listing height and weight, ...

HA! I found the fundoshi pic you've been givng me shit to produce. 5'10" at 215 lbs. I'm now 5'10" at 195 lbs and the frontal pic looks exactly the same (except the gyno in the titties is gone). My ass is much tighter now. HA! I knew I'd find it. Smile

[Image: sOYye9x.jpg]

For some reason I can't stop looking... Shocking

no homo Wink

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
12-12-2017, 01:34 PM
(09-12-2017 12:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're an ectomorph. I'm an endomorph. You probably start to show a pot belly with 10 lbs of weight gain, it's more like 30 lbs. for an endo and even then it's not a pot belly but more like a general increase in gelatinous core mass. Yes? I'm asking you. Is this what happens when you gain 10 lbs? Do you get a pot belly?

Yeah, pretty much. I carry almost all of my extra weight in my gut/love handles. Most of the rest of my body is quite lean. If you saw me from the chest up or the waist down, I'd probably look 20 pounds lighter.

Going back to pictures of me in the first half of college, I probably need to lose 20-25 pounds to get back down to that weight and get my six pack back.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
13-12-2017, 07:59 PM
I've never had a 6 pack I didn't drink Big Grin
I contemplate having one, and realize it is out of practical reach.
Check out the youtube videos from 'obesetobeast' for some inspiriation, someone here showed me those a while back.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
13-12-2017, 08:26 PM
(13-12-2017 07:59 PM)skyking Wrote:  I've never had a 6 pack I didn't drink Big Grin
I contemplate having one, and realize it is out of practical reach.

I don't think it's out of reach at all. One thing carrying around 285 lbs gave me was a very strong core. Takes some big gut muscles to carry that weight around. I can start seeing my ab muscles at around 195 lbs. At 185 they start to look like a 4 pack. If I was interested in a 6 pack, front planks at 185 would do it. ... We did a lot of exercise carrying that weight around, brother. Smile

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-01-2018, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2018 07:29 PM by Kaneda.)
Let's see, I'm 5'11", and fall somewhere between 171-175 lbs. I have the look of a scrawny dude who went at it hard at the gym for a few years before getting nihilistic about the entire culture and bumming right out. At the moment I am what gym-rats would refer to as "skinny-fat."

I hit my stride from about 18-21, during which time I was in the best shape of my life. I was never that athletic growing up, but when I became an adult, I really started getting a fire under me, which in hindsight was largely motivated by personal insecurities.

This worked for me early in college; after the first few months, I was getting some good feedback on how tight I was getting, and I had gotten into a routine of going at it at least three days a week, with the idea that I was 'building toward something.' Still, as fun as it was getting into fighting shape during those years, deep down I always knew that great golem known as 'diminishing returns' was going to rear its ugly head.

The wall finally hit my my senior year from the a combination of an injured shoulder, a ramp-up in my personal responsibilities, and some acute insomnia. It got to the point that no matter what I did I was actually making myself weaker. I’d also grown to really dislike the CHUDS who made up most of the attendance at the gym where I went.

So senior year really kicked my ass and then some. Things got a bit easier after I finished at Uni, but I never did fully get my mojo back. After 2014, I’d go through spurts where I was really motivated to get back to my peak physique, which typically lasted a few weeks at a time, but the burnout was always fast coming. Then I’d be off the wagon for some time after until I felt slovenly and gross enough to hit it again. So vanity clearly wasn’t the best motivator for me to keep my shit together, health-wise. If I didn’t love cycling and other associated outdoor activities so much, I’d probably still be in this dispiriting pattern.

So this is where I’m at. I get like 90% of my exercise from jogging and distance biking, something I love to go at least 10 miles a day at. Though it leaves a lot to be desired in the upper-body, I can’t deny that it’s given me some amazing quads. Yes

Not that I'm expecting to get called for any photoshoots for Men's Health, or anything.

“Everything is funny, as long as it’s
happening to someone else.” ~Will Rogers
(29-01-2018 08:58 AM)mordant Wrote:  The typical worldview of atheists doesn't come from atheism; atheism usually comes from the typical worldview. That is the worldview of the skeptic and empiricist.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post