Body Image Websites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Body Image Websites
I've been noticing a lot of body positivity websites lately and I think this is fantastic. Many of them have people posting pics of themselves, including listing height and weight, along with stories associated with their weight, weight struggles, body image, weight and society etc.

I think society gets too caught up in what people (both men and women) should look like. In keeping with this positive outlook that all shapes and sizes are beautiful...if you feel like it, post your height and weight and/or post a story on how your weight/height whatever makes/made you feel about yourself and what you can do to allow yourself to love yourself as is.

So....

Me: 5'6'', 135 lbs.

I was really skinny in high school--mostly naturally from running track and being highly active in general. I weighed 103 lbs at 5'6'' and started modeling. When I met with my agent, she said I was "a diamond in the rough" and insisted that I would be "perfect" for what she was looking for if only I would lose 5 lbs. Keep in mind I was 103 lbs! That put me under 100 pounds at 5'6''. Anyway, that was the beginning of my restricting calories. And due to the extremely low fat distribution in my body, I stopped menstruating.

Even though it was clearly unhealthy, the calorie restriction lasted until I hit college and then I gained the freshman fifteen (and then some). I started restricting calories again, so I could be back to "a model size" even though I was no longer modeling. This was because I had it in my mind (placed there by society) that I could only be pretty if I was a size zero.

This lasted until I found yoga which is all about positive body image, no matter what size you are and that helped change things immensely for me. It truly is about loving yourself as is and honoring where you are at and about creating a healthy balance/relationship with food, exercise, and life in general. Now I no longer restrict calories or feel like I need to weigh or look a certain way. Now it's about health and wellness and the rest just falls into place.

Anyway, Fuck society. Be beautiful as is. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
01-11-2017, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 09:21 PM by yakherder.)
RE: Body Image Websites
1.82 metres (just short of 6 feet), and currently around 215 pounds / 98 kilograms.

The lightest I've ever been as an adult was about 175 pounds / 80 kilograms after rapidly losing 30+ pounds over the course of 2 weeks of mountain warfare school.

The heaviest I've been was 230 pounds / 105 kilograms when dabbling around with a body building focused training routine, ultimately deciding it's not for me.

I was a skinny kid but started to get a bit chubby as a teenager. Did a lot of my own cooking as a kid with my parents being gone a lot, which resulted in meals like fresh caught crab meat in Top Ramen with some random grilled roots I dug up and covered in butter and a bag of Doritos and a Mountain Dew on the side, which I'd finish off with a scoop of ice cream covered in wild black huckleberries. Only the creativity of a young teenager with no concept of proper diet could have turned such a potentially "natural" diet into something so nutritionally shitty Tongue

Since then I've been through various training / diet fads and phases. I dabbled with the Matt Furey bodyweight conditioning cult before eventually settling on a more data based methodology I picked up out of Ross Enamait's books like Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity. The focus has always been function over aesthetics, but for my own knowledge I've also studied a lot of body building focused material, read through Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, went through a certification course with NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) to become a certified trainer, though ultimately I never even attempted to do anything with that professionally.

I don't obsess over my physique. In the end I'm more worried about things like endurance, explosive power, flexibility, and the ability to climb like a damn monkey than I am about how much I can bench (I don't even know) and whether or not my tone reflects the amount of training I put in to those looking at and judging me in the weight room. That said, if I can implement something into my routine that will result in increasing visible muscle mass without compromising those other goals, then sure why not? It's not my primary goal, but I've gotta admit it feels good when I'm working out and I happen to glance in the mirror and I can see results that I know other people can see too. I'm not going to bank everything on their opinions of me, but back when I had a significant other that actually appreciated my physique I can't deny that it felt amazing.

That said, there are some very real benefits to looking good insofar as society's (irrational) standards are concerned, not to be confused with your own perceived standards which might not actually be accurate (the average person isn't really that impressed by either an unhealthily skinny person or a massive overdeveloped bodybuilder whom they just assume is on steroids or something). Anything you can use to influence the perceptions of those who have something to offer that you want or need is of practical value even if the reasoning behind those perceptions is flawed. Kind of like wearing a suit to an interview. The suit, without the culturally influenced perceptions, is completely useless compared to more practical clothing items, yet anyone who wears one to an interview will generally have an immediate advantage over someone who does not.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
02-11-2017, 04:35 AM
I'm 5' 10" and around 196-200lbs these days, (Although I'm working on bringing the weight down a touch).

I'm at the heaviest I've been and to be honest I'm at a bit of a conflicting cross roads in my thought process. Like I'm nowhere near being "fat", if anything I'm just mildy out of shape and could do with trimming up, but you hear comments on how you've changed over the years, and how society makes you think of body image, so I kind of feel "bad" that I'm this heavy. On the other side of the fence, I also feel "happy", alot of it is my terrible diet, but I don't over-eat, I just don't eat some of the better foods that you should. But I make sure I don't have massive portions etc, so some of my weight is (at least I think) partly natural gain. I'm 30 next year, and at my age my father was a good 50lbs heavier that I am now. He's still a big bloke, so I think it's in my genes some what.

At school I was 4' 2" an about 70lbs wet through, and I stayed like that until I hit 16. Since then I've stopped growing height wise, but have gained like 8-10 lbs a year it seems....which isn't that bad lol. So I kind of think "fuck it I'll just buy bigger clothes and be happy", but then again you see all this stuff, and we all know about being healthy...so it's a strange one.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
02-11-2017, 04:56 AM
I'm 6' 1".

When I got married 18 yrs ago, I was around 170 lbs, My wife was about 95 lbs.

Now I weight more then both combined (I'm around 290 now). I've been as high as 310 lbs.

I don't care what I look like, I just want to live long enough to see my kids happy and out living successfully on their own...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
02-11-2017, 04:58 AM
Wow. In Australia, we just go to the beach.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
02-11-2017, 05:52 AM
(02-11-2017 04:56 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I'm 6' 1".

When I got married 18 yrs ago, I was around 170 lbs, My wife was about 95 lbs.

Now I weight more then both combined (I'm around 290 now). I've been as high as 310 lbs.

This is one thing I think my wife thinks about, especially when it comes to me.

When we met, I was 18, and proper IN-SHAPE. I wasn't huge, but had a 6 pack/was toned up fairly well. Now I have what can only be described as a pre-dad bod. I'm not like fat, but I can see the signs that's the way it's going Laugh out load

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
02-11-2017, 07:26 AM
I'm 5'5 and about 175 pounds. I've been as high as 190 pounds. I lost about 30 pounds before transitioning, which brought me down to about 160. After starting hormone therapy, I gained some back, and have been floating in-between 170 and 175 for the last year or so.

I was really skinny as a teen and young adult. No matter how much I ate, I couldn't gain weight. I was about 130 for a really long time. Then around 27-ish, that went away and I started gaining. For a little while I felt like I had a beer belly and I hated it. I still struggle with my belly, even though I lost a lot.

I don't want to think about my weight all the time. It's on my mind much more than I'd like. I struggle with it. Because I had a long history of equating "femininity" with "skinny". That really impacted my relationship with my wife, as well, as she struggles with weight, too.

I also struggle with my body image not being feminine enough in terms of my shoulder size, waist size, hip side, rip cage size, features of my face that I dislike, etc. etc. I have to fight really hard not to beat myself up, mentally. Not to punish myself to this stupid shit that isn't realistic even for for many cis women.

But I do really like my legs and buttocks, and I do actually like my hips- even though I tell myself I'd like them to be a bit larger with muscle. I think my ideal would be to look "fit", not to look "skinny".

I don't eat terribly healthy, but I don't eat terribly bad all the time either lol. I want to be healthier, but I'm really fuckin lazy, and I can't keep up the motivation to cook consistently like I should.

I've started getting into yoga lately, too. Though not as consistently as I'd like, yet. And I'm still very new. I've been doing lessons from Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube- I really can't afford Yoga classes or anything. So I'll just do it at home, watching YT videos lol. I don't really understand all the basics or ideas behind it, but it does feel good to do. I did a 15 minute session last night after work that left me sweating, but feeling really good. It was really hard, though! Especially doing warrior pose 3, I think it was called? omg. I couldn't keep my balance. Laugh out load It makes me want to get better at it.
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
02-11-2017, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017 07:50 AM by jennybee.)
(02-11-2017 07:26 AM)Emma Wrote:  I'm 5'5 and about 175 pounds. I've been as high as 190 pounds. I lost about 30 pounds before transitioning, which brought me down to about 160. After starting hormone therapy, I gained some back, and have been floating in-between 170 and 175 for the last year or so.

I was really skinny as a teen and young adult. No matter how much I ate, I couldn't gain weight. I was about 130 for a really long time. Then around 27-ish, that went away and I started gaining. For a little while I felt like I had a beer belly and I hated it. I still struggle with my belly, even though I lost a lot.

I don't want to think about my weight all the time. It's on my mind much more than I'd like. I struggle with it. Because I had a long history of equating "femininity" with "skinny". That really impacted my relationship with my wife, as well, as she struggles with weight, too.

I also struggle with my body image not being feminine enough in terms of my shoulder size, waist size, hip side, rip cage size, features of my face that I dislike, etc. etc. I have to fight really hard not to beat myself up, mentally. Not to punish myself to this stupid shit that isn't realistic even for for many cis women.

But I do really like my legs and buttocks, and I do actually like my hips- even though I tell myself I'd like them to be a bit larger with muscle. I think my ideal would be to look "fit", not to look "skinny".

I don't eat terribly healthy, but I don't eat terribly bad all the time either lol. I want to be healthier, but I'm really fuckin lazy, and I can't keep up the motivation to cook consistently like I should.

I've started getting into yoga lately, too. Though not as consistently as I'd like, yet. And I'm still very new. I've been doing lessons from Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube- I really can't afford Yoga classes or anything. So I'll just do it at home, watching YT videos lol. I don't really understand all the basics or ideas behind it, but it does feel good to do. I did a 15 minute session last night after work that left me sweating, but feeling really good. It was really hard, though! Especially doing warrior pose 3, I think it was called? omg. I couldn't keep my balance. Laugh out load It makes me want to get better at it.

I think one of the weird things about body image is that oftentimes, no one else sees what you do. For instance, I see your pics and I think you have a nice figure.

It's so weird to me now looking back on my calorie restricting days. I thought I needed to be a size zero to be pretty and sexy and yet, I had no boobs, no hips, and no ass. Then, when I started gaining weight to a healthy weight, I got curves like a woman should have and I started getting more attention from the opposite sex than I did when I was skin and bones. Anyway, now I like my curves. Tongue

It just really angers me that society has this ridiculous ideal of how a woman should look in terms of being a size zero. It's not attainable and it goes against the natural way our bodies are supposed to be.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-11-2017, 08:16 AM
(02-11-2017 07:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 07:26 AM)Emma Wrote:  I'm 5'5 and about 175 pounds. I've been as high as 190 pounds. I lost about 30 pounds before transitioning, which brought me down to about 160. After starting hormone therapy, I gained some back, and have been floating in-between 170 and 175 for the last year or so.

I think one of the weird things about body image is that oftentimes, no one else sees what you do. For instance, I see your pics and I think you have a nice figure.

It's so weird to me now looking back on my calorie restricting days. I thought I needed to be a size zero to be pretty and sexy and yet, I had no boobs, no hips, and no ass. Then, when I started gaining weight to a healthy weight, I got curves like a woman should have and I started getting more attention from the opposite sex than I did when I was skin and bones. Anyway, now I like my curves. Tongue

It just really angers me that society has this ridiculous ideal of how a woman should look in terms of being a size zero. It's not attainable and it goes against the natural way our bodies are supposed to be.

Well thanks! Blush You should see me in person, you'd probably have a different opinion. Tongue Ahhhh, I kid... sorta.

I agree, too, that it's unattainable for the majority of healthy women. Especially when you become an adult that's more focused on life than on maintaining some pie-in-the-sky unhealthy and painful beauty standard.

I wear a size 10R women's (at least, in Target and Old Navy- every fucking store is different with bullshit vanity sizing lol), that's about a 30 or so in men's. In dresses and shirts, I wear a size L. I'm not interested in reducing my pant-size or dress-size.

And I'm good with that. Thumbsup

Oh- and, Jenny- if you have any yoga recommendations, I'd love some tips! Especially if you can suggest YT videos or anything. Heart I really really want to make it a habit/routine for my life.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
02-11-2017, 08:24 AM
(01-11-2017 07:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Anyway, Fuck society. Be beautiful as is. Heart

Well, yes and no. I'm 5'11", 220 lbs, and diabetic. I would be healthier if I lost weight. If I don't struggle with my weight, I gain more. Like Alice, I would have to run twice as fast to actually get anywhere. I therefore have to maintain my dissatisfation with myself.

So there's that....
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post