Body Language "experts"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Body Language "experts"
Once in a while news programs will hire some body language expert to read the body language of politicians, celebrities or defendents in a tv trial case. I mean, sure, most people can tell when a person is tired or upset or agitated or any number of things, but do you don't need to be an expert. Just observant.

Experts break down every minute body movement to read into the life and mind of people. I'm a little skeptical of this and since this is the skeptical section of the forum I'm a-postin' my thoughts.

I realize most of them are psyhologists, but I donno, this reminds me a little too much of psychics and their idiocy.

And here's some body language "expert" getting paid to view Jay Z and Beyonce's appearance at some event. She says they're going to break up. REALLY? I'm shocked. It couldn't be because 90% of Hollywood marriages fail, could it?

http://nypost.com/2014/08/25/body-langua...litsville/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 03:05 PM
RE: Body Language "experts"
A friend of mine is a retired FBI agent who actually is a fairly famous person in certain circles as he has written quite a few successful books on body language. It has to do with limbic science, and when these guys have to know what these perps are thinking or someone may die, I don't think it's psychic. It's quality science, experience and hard work.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
05-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I won't say it's impossible - but ----

it wasn't all that long ago that Phrenology was considered a "science"....

Today's "science" may be tomorrow's hokum....

only time tells...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-02-2015, 04:05 PM
(05-02-2015 03:05 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  A friend of mine is a retired FBI agent who actually is a fairly famous person in certain circles as he has written quite a few successful books on body language. It has to do with limbic science, and when these guys have to know what these perps are thinking or someone may die, I don't think it's psychic. It's quality science, experience and hard work.

It may be that a highly trained individual can view body language and break it down scientifically but many of these, so called experts, have dipped into predicting the future. Then the science of body language gets a little dicey.

05-02-2015, 04:19 PM
(05-02-2015 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 03:05 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  A friend of mine is a retired FBI agent who actually is a fairly famous person in certain circles as he has written quite a few successful books on body language. It has to do with limbic science, and when these guys have to know what these perps are thinking or someone may die, I don't think it's psychic. It's quality science, experience and hard work.

It may be that a highly trained individual can view body language and break it down scientifically but many of these, so called experts, have dipped into predicting the future. Then the science of body language gets a little dicey.

You must remember most of that stuff is for entertainment purposes.
I used to work in jury selection, before it was a thing, and yes, you could tell by looking at some people how sympathic they might be to the client. There are subtle tells most people have.

It's also called profiling.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Agreed. For those with actually training, I see their skill set in the same light as animal behaviorists being able to tell what an animal is going to do based on years of observation. On a side note, here is a funny article about how people misinterpret animal behavior.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/201...nt=event25
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
05-02-2015, 05:33 PM
I guess I don't know if experts beleive this or not, but I've always heard to people fidgeting with their hands or clothes are nervous. I can tell you that is not the case with me. I'm constantly fidgeting. When I'm nervous, I actually go still and seem calmer.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
05-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I wonder, if three body language experts separately watched the same video of someone, say, at a trial, if each one would come to the same conclusion or if there would be a variety of opinions? Hummm.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-02-2015, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 10:00 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(05-02-2015 09:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder, if three body language experts separately watched the same video of someone, say, at a trial, if each one would come to the same conclusion or if there would be a variety of opinions? Hummm.

If they are trained in that area, their descriptions will be similar.

But you can't just watch one person for a limited amount of time.

Some body language tells are completely beyond anyone's control.

Like when you're horny, men and women, their eyes dilate slightly.

It happens when visually stimulated or physically. Even if they don't appear like it.

It goes beyond the cliche thing like the teen girl sees a person she finds attractive and touches her hair.

My son always guards himself when he lies to me. It can look very natural.

Finally it's not just body language.

Its also the way they speak....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-02-2015, 11:54 PM
(05-02-2015 05:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I guess I don't know if experts beleive this or not, but I've always heard to people fidgeting with their hands or clothes are nervous. I can tell you that is not the case with me. I'm constantly fidgeting. When I'm nervous, I actually go still and seem calmer.

Anyone who knows anything about this would know they first have to establish what is known as a baseline. This is the act of paying attention to someone under normal non-stressful situations and then using those actions as the standard. Any veering from that during questioning et al would give them the ammunition they need to make an assessment. If a person has Parkinson's and shakes all of the time, you aren't going to think this person is lying or is perpetually nervous. You would know ahead of time that they have a condition that makes them shake, so those "tells" as they say in poker would be useless and you would need to find other behaviors.

It's pure science and will NEVER be hokum. Any word to the contrary is just pure ignorance.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post