Body Language "experts"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 07:05 AM
RE: Body Language "experts"
Dogs have it on humans 1000 times when it comes to reading body language. Body language is their main frame of reference when dealing with us. For the most part, they evaluate body language, intonation and context to understand us, not actual words.

Body language exists and is a lot more complex than we know. Mix it with scent and sound (our human ears and noses are not good enough to distinguish a lot of this) and you realize that dogs and likely other animals see something that we can't envision .

If we want to learn something about it, we need to start learning how animals see things. At this time, we are fumbling.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 07:15 AM
(05-02-2015 11:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 05:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I guess I don't know if experts beleive this or not, but I've always heard to people fidgeting with their hands or clothes are nervous. I can tell you that is not the case with me. I'm constantly fidgeting. When I'm nervous, I actually go still and seem calmer.

Anyone who knows anything about this would know they first have to establish what is known as a baseline. This is the act of paying attention to someone under normal non-stressful situations and then using those actions as the standard. Any veering from that during questioning et al would give them the ammunition they need to make an assessment. If a person has Parkinson's and shakes all of the time, you aren't going to think this person is lying or is perpetually nervous. You would know ahead of time that they have a condition that makes them shake, so those "tells" as they say in poker would be useless and you would need to find other behaviors.

It's pure science and will NEVER be hokum. Any word to the contrary is just pure ignorance.

Pure science? No.

There is human interpretation involved such that the results are never entirely objective.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2015, 08:47 AM
(06-02-2015 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 11:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Anyone who knows anything about this would know they first have to establish what is known as a baseline. This is the act of paying attention to someone under normal non-stressful situations and then using those actions as the standard. Any veering from that during questioning et al would give them the ammunition they need to make an assessment. If a person has Parkinson's and shakes all of the time, you aren't going to think this person is lying or is perpetually nervous. You would know ahead of time that they have a condition that makes them shake, so those "tells" as they say in poker would be useless and you would need to find other behaviors.

It's pure science and will NEVER be hokum. Any word to the contrary is just pure ignorance.

Pure science? No.

There is human interpretation involved such that the results are never entirely objective.

Ok, semantics. I meant the practice and results are done scientifically and peer-reviewed. These aren't hunches and snake-oil salesmen.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-02-2015, 08:58 AM
It's like a polygraph.

It's only good if the interviewer is very good, and the interviewee has little or no knowledge of how the test works.

So - "it only works if the chicken is spherical, and in a vacuum"......

(physics humor from TBBT)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-02-2015, 04:56 PM
(05-02-2015 11:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 05:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I guess I don't know if experts beleive this or not, but I've always heard to people fidgeting with their hands or clothes are nervous. I can tell you that is not the case with me. I'm constantly fidgeting. When I'm nervous, I actually go still and seem calmer.

Anyone who knows anything about this would know they first have to establish what is known as a baseline. This is the act of paying attention to someone under normal non-stressful situations and then using those actions as the standard. Any veering from that during questioning et al would give them the ammunition they need to make an assessment. If a person has Parkinson's and shakes all of the time, you aren't going to think this person is lying or is perpetually nervous. You would know ahead of time that they have a condition that makes them shake, so those "tells" as they say in poker would be useless and you would need to find other behaviors.

That makes sense. Thanks for the schoolin' WillHop! Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post