Bomb Threats and School Closings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 07:42 AM
Bomb Threats and School Closings
California and New York school districts both received bomb threats on the same day.

California (LA) closed everything, New York closed nothing.

Which course of action do you choose????

If you close the schools -- you'll be inviting a bunch of slackers to use pay phones (there's a few left) or burner or stolen cell phones to call in bomb threats to schools - for a "day off"....

If you don't close the schools, and call the bluff --- you're ok.... Unless of course there's actually a bomb and it goes off.....

If you're the superintendent of schools -- what's your call - and why????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2015, 07:56 AM
RE: Bomb Threats and School Closings
I'd ring up my workplace and report a bomb threat ...except I work for myself Confused

Tough call to make. Whilst I believe that there may be some people stupid enough to repeat the hoax, what else can you do but errr on the side of caution???

The offenders will eventually get caught.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
16-12-2015, 11:20 AM
That's the county over the hill from me. I think the superintendent made the right choice, though the fact that it was later determined to be a hoax makes it easy to armchair quarterback it. I hope the pinhead gets caught. This needlessly messed up a lot of people's day, and cost millions in lost productivity. That, and ratcheting up anxiety in the population.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-12-2015, 11:41 AM
My sister's high school has had three threats this school year. They get the pleasure of sitting out in the stadium for a few hours, wasting everyone's time. Pain in the ass, but it only takes being wrong once...I think the prudent thing to do would is to keep people out of danger, then punish severely whoever made the threat to prevent it happening again.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
16-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Something to keep in mind..................

The "calling in a bomb threat" - is pretty much a thing of the past.......

Now - if somebody's going to plant a bomb -- they post it on the internet just a few seconds before (or after) the actual bombing......

These days a high body count is the desired effect of the bomber -- so they don't want to screw it up by getting the school evacuated.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-12-2015, 12:02 PM
(16-12-2015 07:42 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  California and New York school districts both received bomb threats on the same day.

California (LA) closed everything, New York closed nothing.

Which course of action do you choose????

If you close the schools -- you'll be inviting a bunch of slackers to use pay phones (there's a few left) or burner or stolen cell phones to call in bomb threats to schools - for a "day off"....

If you don't close the schools, and call the bluff --- you're ok.... Unless of course there's actually a bomb and it goes off.....

If you're the superintendent of schools -- what's your call - and why????

Nothing. The threat did not capitalize the word "allah" so it sure as shit ain't genuine.

#sigh
16-12-2015, 01:35 PM
(16-12-2015 11:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Something to keep in mind..................

Now - if somebody's going to plant a bomb -- they post it on the internet just a few seconds before (or after) the actual bombing......

These days a high body count is the desired effect of the bomber -- so they don't want to screw it up by getting the school evacuated.

Tough call.

As for your last comment some one can always do the boy who cried wolf routine...

The responses where interesting for the two coasts, LA just having gone through the SBernardino shooting erred on the side of caution. NYC basically told them to fuck off.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-12-2015, 02:41 PM
(16-12-2015 01:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 11:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Something to keep in mind..................

Tough call.

As for your last comment some one can always do the boy who cried wolf routine...

The responses where interesting for the two coasts, LA just having gone through the SBernardino shooting erred on the side of caution. NYC basically told them to fuck off.

Yeah that's what I heard New York basically calling Los Angeles a bunch of pussies. I was kinda stunned by that.

I think given what happened so recently in San Bernardino, LA made the right call.

Also, schools are rarely closed in Southern California for any reason. They don't have snow...so unless it's a holiday, school break or teacher work day, schools in session.

I could see schools in New York being a little cautious about wasting what could be a snow day on something that's too vague, plus many NYC schools have metal detectors and other staff on their campuses. Aren't the schools there are much more compact?

Where as, many of the schools in California have larger areas, they're more sprawling. My grammar school had like three buildings and had miles of grassy areas...plus playgrounds...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Stay open.

As onlinebiker said, nobody calls in a bomb threat before they actually go in and bomb a place.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
16-12-2015, 08:55 PM
I would close the schools in a heartbeat. However, the legislature should make the penalty for a bomb threat a minimum of ten years without parole even for juveniles.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post