Bomb in Oslo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2011, 10:11 PM
RE: Bomb in Oslo
Woke to the news of over 80 dead young and name and picture of the shooter: 32 year old right wing, christian norwegian. We are grieving in so many ways right now.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2011, 04:44 AM
80 death by one single shooter?
I find that hard to comprehend...
Huh

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
23-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah, it's a mystery. He was able to walk around unhindered for an hour and shoot everyone he saw with a machine gun. And since dressed as a policeman the kids trusted him to be a helper, but when they crawled up from their hidings or while trying to escape swimming he shot them. The stories that come out today from the survivers are among the most horrible I have ever heard.

Oslo is a very, very strange and sad place today. I was at the hospital where my husband is (I might as well start to call him that, I feel mentally married although not lawfully) earlier today. It is the hospital where all the hardest injured were transported to. It was an eerie silence and calmness there. I just saw a couple of security people outside and no one else. Not a sound. The flag halfway risen. He is being moved to another hosptial later today because they need the space for the injured.

My daughter (17 years) and my mother is downtown right now to join the other thousands of people claiming the city back. My daughter is naturally very upset. Her school is just a few blocks away from the bomb site, and due to her age she probably knows someone who lost someone at the island. Norway has so few people that most likely everyone knows of someone that lost someone or are still missing.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
23-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Just saw the death toll is up to 91. Jeez. What possesses someone to do something like this?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-07-2011, 08:39 AM
looks like the world is slowly starting to realize that we are reaping what we have sown for years...

that violence solves everything in a quick an swiftly way.

Surely this is a fallacy!
Surely this is no solution!
yet politics, media, games, movies,... make the gullible believe otherwise!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
23-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Sad RE: Bomb in Oslo
Oh wow, this is absolutely devastating. I hope your partner is doing well.Undecided

However, even though the guy was Christian, I'll bet that somehow people will blame this act on the secularization of Norway and the rest of Scandinavia.Confused
24-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Cubic I'm glad that your family is fine my thoughts are with you and the rest of your country. I don't know alot of details about what happened the media here seems more interested about Amy winehouses death.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
24-07-2011, 11:26 AM
First - my husband is in a better place now. Oh, that didn't sound good, but I mean it litterally. The hospital he's in now is closer, smaller and much more modern, and finally some silence (in his room I mean)! The night from friday to saturday they moved him out into the hallway to make room for the injured, and he saw many of the victims coming in and being rushed to surgery. Otherwise he is doing well, not able to walk with cruches yet, but slowly progressing.

Second - it's really starting to dawn on us the massive scale on all this. I went downtown today to just be there a while, and it felt good. Lots and lots of people there. I went into the cathedral a little while after the mass that was broadcasted on CNN and although being an atheist it felt right to light a candle. When feeling so helpless, it's sort of ok to do anything to express those feelings. The king and prime minister and all the other officials stood in line among ordinary people waiting to lit their candles, and I am glad to live in a country that still refuses to introduce strict security even in this situation.

After reading online and talking to a lot of people, I have the feeling that this horrible event will only bring us more together and enhance our values of democracy and peace. It's really touching to be both a witness to it and a part of it. There are of course some extremist views and nutcases that say the most outrageous things, but I feel that they are a tiny minority. I predict that the ruling Laborparty will win the next election easily.

The really hard part is starting now, to let it sink completely in, getting an overview of all the damage and deaths, get over the paralyzing grief and slowly learn to live with the new reality - and off course make sure it can never happen again anywhere. We need help from all nations to do this.

I haven't read through all this, but it seems to be an ok summary of it all in english: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/201...e-coverage

[Image: 978x.jpg]

This image is from outside the cathedral today. Tomorrow night there will be a march by torchlight against terror. I'm bringing my kids, I think it's important for them to be a part of it too, more than just watching the news.

Here are a few pictures I took with my phone today.

[Image: IMG_3065.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3069.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3078.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3114.jpg]

24-07-2011, 09:17 PM
(24-07-2011 11:26 AM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  Second - it's really starting to dawn on us the massive scale on all this.

It may take a while to fully absorb it. I remember the days after 9/11 I could not turn off the TV. I did not sleep for a few weeks. I remember there was about a 4 hour period that morning when I did not know if my sister was a widow or not. I was working outside NYC at the time and I remember leaving the office to go sit with her while we waited for news. It was awful. Later I recall going through the names of all the people believed to be dead and finding two that were familiar. One was someone I went to high school with. Another was the husband of someone my wife knew. Then going into the city and seeing all the signs for people missing put up on the fence surrounding Trinity Church. Everyone was in a daze for what seemed like months.

It did, however, bring out the very best in people, at least for a while. People were a lot more respectful of each other and there was a feeling of solidarity as people tried to make sense of it. I suspect you may see something similar in Oslo. It is tough for people to cope with that level of insanity so we seem to manage by clinging to each other and finding strength in numbers. It's a good thing, or at least it should be.

Hopefully some good can come out of this tragedy. I'm sure right now it's hard to imagine that any will, or even to conceive what good could come out of it, but time heals all wounds and the people of Norway may find something out of this to make their lives better. I hope so, anyway, because going on and finding good where there is bad is how you keep people like the bastard who did this from ever winning, no matter what they do.

Best of luck and hope you find better days soon.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
25-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, BnW. Sad to read, though. Yes, let's hope lots of things change after this.