Bomb in Oslo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2011, 10:05 AM
RE: Bomb in Oslo
What worries me most about this terrible event is that it happened in Norway... Norway is the country all of us from other countries look up to, your democracy, your politics, your everything is maybe the best in this world, and even the country like this can succumb to religious fundamentalists, and to make things worst, it's now Christian fundamentalists... Christan warrior, as he calls himself. I don't really have the right words for this event. Stay strong.

Peace.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2011, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2011 02:00 PM by Cubic Bubbles.)
Crazy people are bred everywhere, but we will NOT succumb to any of them.

Just got home from a memorial gathering. It was supposed to be a march trough the streets, but the marching part was cancelled because too many people showed up! This city isn't big enough actually. Smile Other gatherings were happening at the same time in many cities. The atmosphere of love and shared strength is hard to describe, and I hope it lasts. I've never in my life been packed together with so many people at the same time, it was estimated to have been around 150.000. (We are only 600.000 people living in Oslo, and about 5 million people all together).

[Image: IMG_3138.jpg]

This picture is just from one direction, there were people everywhere, I just couldn't capture them all in one photo. It clearly shows that we are not afraid, and everybody trusts everybody to behave. The gatherings could easily have been used as opportunities for suicide bombers or whatever.

I think that the exact opposite of what this terrorist was trying to create is happening. My hopes for a brighter future is much higher now despite of all this. It will create positive after effects at least all over Europe. It will hopefully be much more difficult for such craziness to occur after this, because we will be on edge to spot it and stop it. We are determined to prove him so wrong! For those of you on Twitter, find the hashtag #OsLove, even though most of it is in norwegian, there are many photos and some text in english.

I read somewhere (don't remember where and can't find it), that someone was questioning if political youth camps possibly was no better than religious camps. I definately not agree. Our Prime Minister repeated from the stage today an encouragement to everybody, especially the young, to be political, to organize, to care, to make things happen, to learn, to study, to participate, to use this grief to make the whole world better in the long run. He said "use your right to vote, become members of a political party - this is the ultimate sign of a healthy democracy" etc. He never said anything resembling "join OUR party". Youth camps like the one attacked are very normal here, all the partys have them and they stem from a long and appreciated tradition. It's not unusual for relatives and friends to have different political views either. When not too far off, it's mostly no problem.

Religion isn't at all being talked much about these days (or normally for that part). We have a state christianity, but for the vast majority it's not a big issue. No one takes his "christian values" seriously. I think that religious people of all kinds from here on after definately will think twice before going in a fundamental direction. Not many wants to be associated with that kind of hate level. Our Prime Minister is an atheist btw. Don't give up on Norway just yet. I am proud to be Norwegian right now, but not in a kind of sickening nationalist way. Borders are in my opinion just a result of a history of luck, powerplay and coincidences, and nothing to be particularily proud of. But how we, as a united people handle this, makes me proud.

.... and my husband is probably coming home from the hospital tomorrow. He walked me to the elevator on his own two legs (and cruches) today! He has improved surprisingly the last two days.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
25-07-2011, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2011 11:29 PM by Cubic Bubbles.)
I really, really wish that many more of the stories would be translated into english. Here's just one: An 11 year old boy who had just witnessed his father being shot. He stood up to the killer and said: "You just killed my father, I am too young to die, stop this now!" and he was spared (!?), and after that, he swam across the cold fjord to security. How anyone that young is able to do that is beyond my grasp. And there are approximately 700 other stories to be told about that one day in history in a small country in the outskirts of the world.

So yes - I have hopes for our future generations.

I also see now that an american commenter named Glenn Beck is comparing the AuF-camp to Hitlerjugend. Don't believe a word this man says.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
26-07-2011, 12:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear to all this. I'm glad you and your husband are okay. I have a friend who lives directly behind the building that was bombed. Her windows and the glass that was sitting in front of her at the time just shattered. She keeps randomly breaking down into tears. She's scared to get on the subway. I feel for her, you, and all those around you. I hope nothing more happens and that it was truly only the one guy.
Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Kiterie - I hope your friend eventually find some peace and learn to manage her fears. She's not alone feeling like that. Give her a comforting virtual hug from a fellow Oslo citizen. Thanks for caring for us!