Bombing, Massacre in Norway.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2011, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2011 10:09 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
RE: Bombing, Massacre in Norway.
(25-07-2011 06:46 AM)The_observer Wrote:  IMO, violence is to much glorified in popular media. On any given moment there is a murder or a shoot-out to be seen on a screen somewhere. Subconsciously giving simpeler minded peopole the idea that it can solve everything.

Trying to find a simple solution would be naive. Censorship? Rather not... Spanned over some generations of people perhaps?

Or education. Think about the maturity level of high school graduates at the turn of the 20th century and at the turn of the 21st century. I am sure there is no way to accurately quantify it but IMO the current generations (I graduated in '05 so I am very much one of them) is severely lacking in education, responsibilities and maturity. At the turn of the 20th century education was more valuable (education at that time was obviously not teaching the same things at the same levels but was still on par with the times...for the most part). Since it was more valuable it was taken more seriously. For those who didn't finish? Work. Not a year to fuck off in college and blow your parents money before returning home but a real job or working on the farm. This gave those generations responsibilities and helped them mature. Today kids are expected to grow up on their own in a failing educational system with little to no responsibility placed on them and they are expected to be mature adults when they graduate...yea right. Is it any wonder that the last few generations are so narcissistic and incapable of critical thinking? No. I think this is the main contributor. Better education and better parenting will construct better people. We may never eliminate tragedies like these but we can reduce them by better educating our population. I cannot stand the gross over generalization that violence in books/movies/video games is the leading cause. Violence has always been a part of our society (perhaps not in its current forms but it is there none the less). What would a kid in the 1940's do if he was looking for excitement and action? Go to war! Today? Buy Modern Warfare...3. I am not saying that these types of games/movies/books are okay for all kids but that is the responsibility of the parent. Is my 13 year old mature enough to play GTA? Should I take my 10 year old to see the latest was movie? Should my 16 year old daughter be reading the Twilight saga? The answer to all of these (except the last one which should be no for anyone at any age level) is maybe. It is dependent upon their maturity level and their ability to separate reality from fantasy.
I do agree with Observer on one point about this though. Pop culture as it refers to our celebrity icons. These are not the heros that the younger genrations should be idolizing. People like Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, John Belushi...etc...should not be idolized. Irregardless of their talent (I do love John Belushi as a comedian) they should not be idolized like they are. The perfect example is Winehouse. Is her death a tragedy? No. Is her death a shock? Yes...because she should have been dead 3 years ago. I wish death upon no one but she had the ability and the opportunity to save herself and instead boasted about not wanting to. She is the type of person that the younger generations are seeing and they are told her death was a tragedy. No. It was natural selection removing the scum from our population.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-07-2011, 10:42 AM
You're right.
I shouldn't overgeneralize...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-07-2011, 10:49 AM
(25-07-2011 10:42 AM)The_observer Wrote:  You're right.
I shouldn't overgeneralize...

We all tend to do that but the argument for violence has been perpetuated for decades. It starts with books, then it went to movies and now video games. It is just an excuse that people use to justify their bad parenting skills. That is not to say that violence is popular culture is not a factor. It may have an influence but that can work both ways. For instance, movies like Saving Private Ryan and tv shows like Band of Brothers made me realize that I would be incapable of war. I would break down like a sissy girl and start crying.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
25-07-2011, 01:24 PM
(25-07-2011 10:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Today kids are expected to grow up on their own in a failing educational system with little to no responsibility placed on them and they are expected to be mature adults when they graduate...yea right.
I especially liked that part.

I wonder what would be a good way to teach someone responsibility.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-07-2011, 04:11 PM
(25-07-2011 01:24 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(25-07-2011 10:05 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Today kids are expected to grow up on their own in a failing educational system with little to no responsibility placed on them and they are expected to be mature adults when they graduate...yea right.
I especially liked that part.

I wonder what would be a good way to teach someone responsibility.

How about a puppy and a job. If you lose your job we kill the puppy!

—Thomas Henry Huxley
25-07-2011, 10:56 PM
(25-07-2011 04:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How about a puppy and a job. If you lose your job we kill the puppy!
bwhahaha
after 2 years it isn't a puppy anymore so no more responsibility... Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post