Bones of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Bones of Jesus
So while surfing the internet I came across the supposed ossuary of Jesus, which included his bones, along with his family tomb. Weeeelll.....I got to reading more about this. ( I'd heard something about it several years ago and just wasn't too interested in the subject at the time. )

Now I do realize the the excavation and subsequent investigation is a total mess. James Cameron got involved (the Titanic James Cameron?? Yes, that's the one) and he and another fella, can't remember his name, screwed with the evidence so it's all botched.

But, let's say these are the bones of Jesus, how would Christians explain the resurrection? I thought Jesus was taken bodily up to heaven. What the hell, did he forget his bones?

To quote James Tabor, "If you find the bones of Jesus, the resurrection is off. "

http://www.livescience.com/50434-jesus-f...ology.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2016, 10:35 AM
RE: Bones of Jesus
James Cameron is an idiot. Full stop.

But dances jebus rose from the dead...so there can't be bones.

Facepalm

I imagine the logistics of proving this is the same jebus and not some other person who claimed to be the messiah...is really next to impossible.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Even if they found the actual bones of Jesus (and this is assuming he actually existed in the first place), I have no doubt that there would be some Christians who would scour the Bible to try and find and ultimately twist some passage to explain away why the bones were found.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
04-02-2016, 10:44 AM
(04-02-2016 10:35 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  James Cameron is an idiot. Full stop.

But dances jebus rose from the dead...so there can't be bones.

Facepalm

I imagine the logistics of proving this is the same jebus and not some other person who claimed to be the messiah...is really next to impossible.

It's kinda funny. In reading several articles about this, some Christians explain that these couldn't possibly be bones of Jesus because....resurrection. Jesus mythothists (sp?) say these couldn't be the bones of Jesus because....myth.

I find it totally amusing that opposite sides are saying the same thing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-02-2016, 10:49 AM
You act as if reality has anything to do with faith. Silly girl. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-02-2016, 10:56 AM
(04-02-2016 10:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Even if they found the actual bones of Jesus (and this is assuming he actually existed in the first place), I have no doubt that there would be some Christians who would scour the Bible to try and find and ultimately twist some passage to explain away why the bones were found.
From what I recall from my Christian days (which was awhile ago so my memories are fuzzy on this), was that the apostles didn't recognize Jesus at first after the resurrection. Some groups speculated that this meant he returned looking physically different. So his "real" body could have remained buried or left behind while his soul, spirit, mind or whatever you want to call it is what was really resurrected.
So yeah, there kinda is already a built in loophole for that. Undecided

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
04-02-2016, 11:06 AM
(04-02-2016 10:56 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 10:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Even if they found the actual bones of Jesus (and this is assuming he actually existed in the first place), I have no doubt that there would be some Christians who would scour the Bible to try and find and ultimately twist some passage to explain away why the bones were found.
From what I recall from my Christian days (which was awhile ago so my memories are fuzzy on this), was that the apostles didn't recognize Jesus at first after the resurrection. Some groups speculated that this meant he returned looking physically different. So his "real" body could have remained buried or left behind while his soul, spirit, mind or whatever you want to call it is what was really resurrected.
So yeah, there kinda is already a built in loophole for that. Undecided

Bart Ehrman also had an interesting point that Jesus may have had a twin brother.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
04-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Well... he like, resurrected, walked around a bit then popped a few miracles then said, "I'm blowin' this here pop stand" and threw his bones in a hole and rode Pegasus to heaven sprinkling a rainbow of skittles behind him. Or some such other BS that they'll make up.

So if he's in heaven without his bones do they call him Floppy Jebus.

[Image: mx7n2Bh.jpg?1]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
04-02-2016, 11:11 AM
(04-02-2016 11:09 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Well... he like, resurrected, walked around a bit then popped a few miracles then said, "I'm blowin' this here pop stand" and threw his bones in a hole and rode Pegasus to heaven sprinkling a rainbow of skittles behind him. Or some such other BS that they'll make up.

So if he's in heaven without his bones do they call him Floppy Jebus.

[Image: mx7n2Bh.jpg?1]

That needs to go on a t-shirt Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-02-2016, 11:31 AM
There were a lot more sects in the early days that didn't go in for full-on bodily resurrection. So there's that.

Aren't there already hundreds of (purported, obviously) relics of "bone fragments"?

... this is my signature!