Bones of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 11:38 AM
RE: Bones of Jesus
(04-02-2016 10:56 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 10:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Even if they found the actual bones of Jesus (and this is assuming he actually existed in the first place), I have no doubt that there would be some Christians who would scour the Bible to try and find and ultimately twist some passage to explain away why the bones were found.
From what I recall from my Christian days (which was awhile ago so my memories are fuzzy on this), was that the apostles didn't recognize Jesus at first after the resurrection. Some groups speculated that this meant he returned looking physically different. So his "real" body could have remained buried or left behind while his soul, spirit, mind or whatever you want to call it is what was really resurrected.
So yeah, there kinda is already a built in loophole for that. Undecided

The Jews believed in "shades". A shade was not recognizable, (by normal people).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-02-2016, 12:06 PM
How could they possibly prove this anyway? Can't use DNA. Stupid idea.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2016, 12:14 PM
after reaching heaven his daddy gave him a new body and he became jebus 2.0, then he threw his old body into the garbage can i.e some random place on earth where James Cameron would dig it up and do what he always does
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
04-02-2016, 12:16 PM
(04-02-2016 11:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 10:56 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  From what I recall from my Christian days (which was awhile ago so my memories are fuzzy on this), was that the apostles didn't recognize Jesus at first after the resurrection. Some groups speculated that this meant he returned looking physically different. So his "real" body could have remained buried or left behind while his soul, spirit, mind or whatever you want to call it is what was really resurrected.

The Jews believed in "shades". A shade was not recognizable, (by normal people).

there are at least 50 known shades of grey in this world Yes (sorry but it had to be said )
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
04-02-2016, 12:44 PM
(04-02-2016 11:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There were a lot more sects in the early days that didn't go in for full-on bodily resurrection. So there's that.

Aren't there already hundreds of (purported, obviously) relics of "bone fragments"?

I don't believe so - not of Jesus.

Tons and tons of pieces of "the true cross", lots of bones of "saints".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-02-2016, 12:52 PM
(04-02-2016 12:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There were a lot more sects in the early days that didn't go in for full-on bodily resurrection. So there's that.

Aren't there already hundreds of (purported, obviously) relics of "bone fragments"?

I think Martin Luther said something like, "Christ had 12 disciples, and 14 of them are buried in Germany."
[+] 3 users Like jabeady's post
04-02-2016, 12:55 PM

I thought the true cross was lost during the crusades at the battle of Hattin. Or maybe it wasn't the true cross since it's obvious magic would have prevented it from falling into the hands of infidels.

I first read that as "lots of boners of saints..."
04-02-2016, 01:08 PM
(04-02-2016 11:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 10:56 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  From what I recall from my Christian days (which was awhile ago so my memories are fuzzy on this), was that the apostles didn't recognize Jesus at first after the resurrection. Some groups speculated that this meant he returned looking physically different. So his "real" body could have remained buried or left behind while his soul, spirit, mind or whatever you want to call it is what was really resurrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol

I suppose it's past the time when the Fullerene (Bucko) puts his nerd hat back on, and writes a paper on the various concepts of afterlife in the Ancient Near East, and how, and, to some extent, why .... they developed the way they did. Like I have nothing else to do. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-02-2016, 01:09 PM
I remember seeing a documentary about an escovation attempt in Jerusalem for the possible resting place of Mary and Joseph. The arhiologists had a tuff time because the tomb was built under a hotel. And many locals got wind that they were going to be excovating a tomb, and did what they could to prevent them from doing so. As it was seen as sacreligous to disturbed the resting place of the dead.

They came up with a rather ingenues contraption that would hover in the open tomb and not touch anything inside. Allowing them to appease the angry religious masses and get the information they need.

I can't remember how it ended however. I do recall them finding a name on one of the casuistic that read Mary (in ancient Hebrew) But I don't remember if they got any DNA samples. Most likely not.

Now had they and could compare the DNA strand between the bones of "Jesus" and Body of Mary. and they matched that would at least be a start.

But even if they did it would still be a long road to finding out if this was THE JESUS. As far as I know Jesus could have been as common a name as Mohammad, or Paul is today.

Now lets say that it was the body of THE JESUS. Scientific discovery and archaeological evedene came up with irrefutable proof that this was THE JESUS. Here is the serious of events that I think would follow.

Many people of faith may start to question. But most likely not falter.
The deeply religious nuts will deny the facts. And say it was part of a scientific conspiracy to confuse the followers and sway them from god's true plan. As LostLocke said most likely they would alture the facts to fit so the disillusion could live on. "It was a spiritual transcendence."

Others it might strengthen their belief. And say it was proof that a god walked among us. The bones would be counted as a religious artifact. Churches keeps saints bones, blankets, and other bizarre trinkets that hold religious significance. This would be no different. If anything it may even be held to a higher standing. People would want to kiss it, and pray in front of it, leave offerings in front and around it. The churches would continue to make millions from the dedicated followers, and curious bystanders.

Sure many may question. But From what conversations I've heard and had. even if they conclude that it is true, would only replace it with something else. A different religion or possibly alter their current one to fit the new world view. The majority would not come to the relisation that it's all ridiculous.

Meanwhile the rest of the world and their religions would continue to move forward. Islam would still exists, Buddhism, Hinduism etc etc. Continue moving forward not batting an eye.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
04-02-2016, 01:14 PM

You're right - I was conflating. By the golden age of the relic industry (medieval times) there were forests worth of true cross fragments and several bodies' worth of bones for each major saint, but the theology was pretty firm on bodily resurrection and ascension.

There were purported bodily relics of Jesus in the early days, which is what I was recalling, but those sects were all terminated with extreme prejudice even by Constantine's day.

... this is my signature!