Bonobos as models for human ancestors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Bonobos as models for human ancestors
I wanted to post some pictures of the Bonobo (Pan pansicus), a cousin of the Chimpanzee, because they serve as a good model of what our early pre-human ancestors probably looked like. Firstly, Bonobos split from Chimpanzees roughly 2 million years ago, which is 3 million years after our lineage split with chimps from a common ancestor. Although their body weight overlaps with chimps, they tend to have a more gracile bone structure. Some biologists think they show evidence of Neoteny, where individuals retain juvenile aspects after growing to maturity (sort of like a small breed dog looks like a puppy). Most importantly, they have very long legs, they are excellent bipedal walkers, and they have forward facing vaginas (like humans). Just to drive the point home, here is a picture of a female. Notice the human-like breasts and the long legs. No other non-human primates are built like this, not even chimps:

[Image: ptdc0118.jpg]

Here is a video of some walking:

Unlike chimps who mate like dogs, because of the forward facing vagina, they mate face-to-face like humans:

[Image: 20100317091556_bonobo_mating.jpg]

Peacemaking Between Primates (1990) by Frans de Waal mentions how sex isn't just for procreation, they also use it for reconciliation. Male and females who fight will often seal a peace with some nooky. Homosexual acitivity is also common between male-male and female-female fights. De Waal tells of one funny story where females of male-female couplings who mate secretly have to muffle their orgasmic screams to keep others from hearing and interrupting them.

Bonobos have never been seen in the wild using tools (e.g., stone anvils and termite fishers) like Chimpanzees. However, they might use tools, it's just researchers haven't seen them use tools since they are extremely hard to track in the wild. Another explanation is that the intelligence is there for tool use, but their food source doesn't' necessitate the use of tools.

Unlike their chimp cousins, they live in a matriarchal society, meaning women rule the roost. Since there is more equality between the sexes, some researchers have compared their way of life to what our ancestors' was probably like just prior to the switch to egalitarian hunter-gatherer societies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
RE: Bonobos as models for human ancestors
They still have gross bums. Eww.

Grow an inside bum please monkeys.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
11-05-2012, 09:13 AM
(11-05-2012 09:02 AM)lucradis Wrote:  They still have gross bums. Eww.

Grow an inside bum please monkeys.
Yes, I agree. That's their vagina, actually. They swell to the size of a melon when they are in heat. Human females evolved to have non-visual cues for their times of greatest fertility. I imagine this has something to do with the switch from male-centered ape societies, where they fight over females, to egalitarian societies, where both sexes had more equality. There would have been less fighting over females this way. Also, this probably came around about the time as pair-bonding.
11-05-2012, 09:17 AM
That's a vagina?!?! Wow. Been around huh.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
11-05-2012, 09:22 AM
(11-05-2012 09:17 AM)lucradis Wrote:  That's a vagina?!?! Wow. Been around huh.

If they aren't grooming them, male chimps who are involved in a power struggle will threaten, slap, or stomp females. But once the giant, melon-sized baby cannon comes into play, all of the males go nuts. It's like having a hot chick in a bikini belly dance through a prison.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Those pics are hot.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
11-05-2012, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 01:33 PM by houseofcantor.)
Then how come they haven't evolved into people, you evolutionist? Huh? Can't explain that!

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. You know, like the lint trap in the dryer? Got all this "stupid lint" from listening to creationist mumbo-jumbo over the years. Tongue )
(11-05-2012 08:48 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Unlike their chimp cousins, they live in a matriarchal society, meaning women rule the roost.

I thought chimps were matricidal as well, where the chicks just let the guys think they're running something... Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
(11-05-2012 08:48 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  [Image: ptdc0118.jpg]
Yoga.
From now on, I'll always think of this as the Bonobo posture. Smile
I understand their spines are quite like ours as well... have you run across any reference to this in your research?

From what I've read; when fleeing, they run upright - that's very telling. Many chimps and apes will walk upright, but when running, all fours is fastest.

They certainly have a catchy name - feels good to say it.

No, I'm not high, I'm just getting into my monkeyness. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
11-05-2012, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 02:19 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(11-05-2012 01:31 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [...]

I thought chimps were matricidal as well, where the chicks just let the guys think they're running something... Consider

Chimps are patriarchal. However, alpha males do rely on support from the ladies among the group. He accomplishes this by grooming them, playing with their children, and siding with them in disputes. His job mainly consists of fathering a lot of the children and defending his territory. In captive colonies, females have been known to gang up on males, causing the latter to literally shit themselves because they are so scared. There are even some colonies that have alpha females in the absences of males.

(11-05-2012 01:52 PM)kim Wrote:  Yoga.
From now on, I'll always think of this as the Bonobo posture. Smile
I understand their spines are quite like ours as well... have you run across any reference to this in your research?

From what I've read; when fleeing, they run upright - that's very telling. Many chimps and apes will walk upright, but when running, all fours is fastest.

They certainly have a catchy name - feels good to say it.

No, I'm not high, I'm just getting into my monkeyness. Dodgy

I'm actually just wading into the subject of Bonobos since I plan on focusing on primates for my anthropology degree. I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar spines. From what I've read, their name is actually based on a typo. Someone must have mis-transcribed the name of a crate from Bolobos, a town in Zaire.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
(11-05-2012 02:11 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Chimps are patriarchal. However, alpha males do rely on support from the ladies among the group. He accomplishes this by grooming them, playing with their children, and siding with them in disputes. His job mainly consists of fathering a lot of the children and defending his territory. In captive colonies, females have been known to gang up on males, causing the latter to literally shit themselves because they are so scared. There are even some colonies that have alpha females in the absences of males.
Consider
I'm seeing some real familiar shit going on there. You sure these aren't our relatives? Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.