Bonobos as models for human ancestors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2012, 03:18 PM
RE: Bonobos as models for human ancestors

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
In the mating picture, the female looks bored...perhaps they are closely related.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
(11-05-2012 03:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In the mating picture, the female looks bored...
Looks like she's thinking, "Uh... lets wrap this up, I wanna do some laundry.". Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
11-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Wow, interesting, I had never heard of them. I hope you will post all the interesting stuff you will come across in your studies.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I just read that male bonobos tend to be very close with their mothers like humans. Of course bonobo babies are fragile little things, but the daughters will eventually assert their independence, while the son will stay very close with his mother even up into his adult years. I thought this was interesting because you constantly hear how someone's son clings to their mother, while their daughter doesn't do that as much. Oh, that reminds me, I have to call my mother ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2012, 08:59 PM
A fun read on the comparison of humans and bonobos can be found in Sex at Dawn: The
Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality by Christopher Ryan (Goodreads Author), Cacilda Jethá

"Ryan and Jethá's central contention is that human beings evolved in egalitarian groups that shared food, child care, and, often, sexual partners. Weaving together convergent, frequently overlooked evidence from anthropology, archaeology, primatology, anatomy, and psychosexuality, the authors show how far from human nature monogamy really is. Human beings everywhere and in every era have confronted the same familiar, intimate situations in surprisingly different ways. The authors expose the ancient roots of human sexuality while pointing toward a more optimistic future illuminated by our innate capacities for love, cooperation, and generosity."

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
15-05-2012, 09:03 PM
(15-05-2012 08:59 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  A fun read on the comparison of humans and bonobos can be found in Sex at Dawn: The
Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality by Christopher Ryan (Goodreads Author), Cacilda Jethá

"Ryan and Jethá's central contention is that human beings evolved in egalitarian groups that shared food, child care, and, often, sexual partners. Weaving together convergent, frequently overlooked evidence from anthropology, archaeology, primatology, anatomy, and psychosexuality, the authors show how far from human nature monogamy really is. Human beings everywhere and in every era have confronted the same familiar, intimate situations in surprisingly different ways. The authors expose the ancient roots of human sexuality while pointing toward a more optimistic future illuminated by our innate capacities for love, cooperation, and generosity."

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.
20-05-2012, 06:35 PM
A book I am reading mentions that Bonobos have very similar proportions to Australopithecus (a.k.a. "Lucy"). Here is a documentary on the Bonobo Kanzi.

[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
21-05-2012, 06:22 PM
The five minute mark of the the fourth video above shows just how intelligent the Bonobo Kanzi is. The scientist tries to teach his little sister English, and so he, based on his own impressive understanding, tries to teach her what the scientist asks of her. Check it out.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-05-2012, 07:29 PM
very cool!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man