Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Had my first class of the semester last night in Criminal Investigation and found out I had purchase two true crime books, read them, and write book reports. The professor gave us a half dozen choices...I immediately crossed off one about OJ Simpson and another about Casey Anthony and ordered two that looked interesting and I wasn't familiar with.

Then, tonight I went to my Corrections class to find out that I have to buy, read, and report on another book. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when he showed us the book, "More God Less Crime: Why Faith Matters and How it Could Matter More". Luckily my eyes didn't roll out of my head. Then the professor made a flippant comment about how if you are an Atheist you can just throw the book aside. This report counts for a substantial amount of the semester grade so not doing it isn't an option.

I did like his comment that religion is 'an institution of social control'.

So tomorrow I have to order this book, take a deep breath when it comes in and try to figure out how to write a report on it. I have some thoughts as to which way to go and I stayed after class and asked the professor if I have to agree with the book, since I am an Atheist.

I have had him before and he knows I am a serious student. I told him I would try to keep an open mind and after flipping quickly through his copy figure that I can take the 'sense of community' angle.

Crap...this is going to be a challenge and I may be coming to you guys for suggestions after I get it and start reading. BLAH!

Hobo

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-08-2012, 08:04 AM
RE: Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...
(30-08-2012 09:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Had my first class of the semester last night in Criminal Investigation and found out I had purchase two true crime books, read them, and write book reports. The professor gave us a half dozen choices...I immediately crossed off one about OJ Simpson and another about Casey Anthony and ordered two that looked interesting and I wasn't familiar with.

Then, tonight I went to my Corrections class to find out that I have to buy, read, and report on another book. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when he showed us the book, "More God Less Crime: Why Faith Matters and How it Could Matter More". Luckily my eyes didn't roll out of my head. Then the professor made a flippant comment about how if you are an Atheist you can just throw the book aside. This report counts for a substantial amount of the semester grade so not doing it isn't an option.

So tomorrow I have to order this book, take a deep breath when it comes in and try to figure out how to write a report on it. I have some thoughts as to which way to go and I stayed after class and asked the professor if I have to agree with the book, since I am an Atheist.

I have had him before and he knows I am a serious student. I told him I would try to keep an open mind and after flipping quickly through his copy figure that I can take the 'sense of community' angle.

Crap...this is going to be a challenge and I may be coming to you guys for suggestions after I get it and start reading. BLAH!

Hobo

One important point to note is that atheists make up a tiny fraction of the prison population, much lower than in the population.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Just make it about morality instead of religion, substitue the words in your head. They really mean morality usually when talking about how religion makes people act more appropriately in a societal sense. The origin of morality is a different topic, so you don't have to get into that part.

That way there is not too much conflict in your head and you can stay in your comfort zone.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-09-2012, 02:30 AM
(30-08-2012 09:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Had my first class of the semester last night in Criminal Investigation and found out I had purchase two true crime books, read them, and write book reports. The professor gave us a half dozen choices...I immediately crossed off one about OJ Simpson and another about Casey Anthony and ordered two that looked interesting and I wasn't familiar with.

Hobo

I would play the "religion as control mechanism" angle, but I went to a liberal college and would have been able to do so without suffering bad grades.

Better without God, and happier too.
01-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Why not do a comparison of scriptural laws Vs. current laws in your location?

I forget where you live but what is the punishment for stoning someone to death? And is the crime that was punishable by stoning to death now legal in your neck of the woods?

01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
(31-08-2012 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Hobo

One important point to note is that atheists make up a tiny fraction of the prison population, much lower than in the population.

It's all about the parole board. I'd focus on that. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Here we can pick sides, it's marked on how well we write and the contents and such, not on what side you pick.

So is it possible for you to argue the opposite, the other side, of this?
If not then that is a little fucked up IMO.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Started working on this book report last night. "More God, Less Crime"...aw geez. I am about a third of the way through the book and each page made me more angry than the last.

Author is all about the Christian god and how the government should fund faith based organizations to assist with prisoners and their children. Of course, the goal seems to be much more about finding people at the lowest point in their lives and converting them.

There are many claims of scientific, empirical evidence that programs run by Christians are the only way to make changes in the lives of prisoners. The studies seem shady at best and heavily biased at worst.

By the time I get through this book, I will have a permanent twitch in my eye.

One chapter is titled: "The Last Acceptable Prejudice", referring to Christianity. This chapter focuses heavily on the persecution of Christians in today's society. Oh FFS!

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Who's the jesus cunt that keeps giving you these books?

I wonder if you could include prosecuted touchy feely priests as criminals in the one you're doing now.
Or does it have to be specific things mentioned in the book?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
(07-10-2012 08:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Who's the jesus cunt that keeps giving you these books?

I wonder if you could include prosecuted touchy feely priests as criminals in the one you're doing now.
Or does it have to be specific things mentioned in the book?

Make sure you use the phrase Jesus Cunt in your book report. : thumbsup:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post