Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
RE: Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...
Luckily most of what I have to write are answers to specific questions to prove I read the damn book.

Then it's followed by my having to state how I feel about the book which may look something like this: #$%#$%&%^*^&(&*)()&(%&$^@$$!#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hobo

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
If that were my college class I'd have the teacher change my assignment or go to the board. One of the nice things in the US is that you can argue your way out of such assignments. I bet making myself excluded from the book would piss the teacher off less than letting him have my opinions on it. If I really had to read it I'd just get an audio version. I can't read books that make me angry without ripping them apart.

I leave classes for less than that though so for me it's as easy as trying a different teacher.

His class is not a religious class so you do not need to read that drivel

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Lilith,
I actually did ask for a different book and he would not back down.

After suffering through the presidential debate this morning to write a paper for another class, I picked the book up again.

This author talks about "the science of religion"...WTF?

It's also VERY clear that it's all about the Christian god and how that is the only way to reform a prisoner, he is taking about three years of "faith saturation". Does that sound like brainwashing to anyone else, or is it just me?

At this point, the author has claimed empirical evidence and then reversed himself so often that it has become laughable. What a crock! It's a waste of the paper it was printed on and the eyestrain to read it.

I will finish it, I am taking notes on what I think of this pile of nonsense and will not hold back when I write the part about what I think of the book...the professor asked...I will answer. I have visions of Church Camp but with bars on the doors and prison attire.

This is the ultimate in door knocking to push your faith on others. Geez Louise!

07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Can you put a disclaimer at the beginning of the report?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
When he showed us the book the second week of class I know I did a major eye roll.

He made a comment about Atheists saying we could just through the book away...should have gotten that in writing.

I stayed after class to ask if there was an option of any other book and told him I was one of "those Atheists" and then asked if I had to agree with the book. He said no and he reiterated in class last week that we don't have to agree. I am wondering what kind of response he will get from those in the class who may be religious but don't follow the Christian doctrines, we do have a pretty diverse group of people.

UGH! Just finished a section that sounds like the plan is so cult-like! Egads! I will finish the chapter I am on and put it down before I have an aneurysm. I will need at least a week to be able to pick it up and read more. At least I am over halfway through it.

07-10-2012, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 12:00 PM by Chas.)
(07-10-2012 11:52 AM)Anjele Wrote:  When he showed us the book the second week of class I know I did a major eye roll.

He made a comment about Atheists saying we could just through the book away...should have gotten that in writing.

I stayed after class to ask if there was an option of any other book and told him I was one of "those Atheists" and then asked if I had to agree with the book. He said no and he reiterated in class last week that we don't have to agree. I am wondering what kind of response he will get from those in the class who may be religious but don't follow the Christian doctrines, we do have a pretty diverse group of people.

UGH! Just finished a section that sounds like the plan is so cult-like! Egads! I will finish the chapter I am on and put it down before I have an aneurysm. I will need at least a week to be able to pick it up and read more. At least I am over halfway through it.

Don't forget the slam-dunk argument that non-religious people make up a very much smaller percentage of the prison population than of the general population.

And for the religious water-boarding to be scientifically tested, we need to run control studies. One prison gets evangelical Christianity, another gets RC, another Islam, another Satanism, another Judaism, another secular humanism, and so on.
Tell him to put that in his pipe and smoke it.

If I were in your shoes, I would complain to the administration about this Jesus-head.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
We have to fill out surveys at the end of class. I will voice my opinion then.

In the words of one of my favorite people on this forum: What The Actual Fuck?

07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
AW: RE: Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...
(07-10-2012 11:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We have to fill out surveys at the end of class. I will voice my opinion then.

A reference to the thread I posted in the entertainment section? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
RE: AW: Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...
(07-10-2012 01:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 11:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We have to fill out surveys at the end of class. I will voice my opinion then.

A reference to the thread I posted in the entertainment section? Consider

Yes...WTF just didn't seem adequate...needed to extend it to WTAF! Kinda like adding the "H" to Jesus Christ for more oomph.

07-10-2012, 04:08 PM
(07-10-2012 11:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Lilith,
I actually did ask for a different book and he would not back down.

After suffering through the presidential debate this morning to write a paper for another class, I picked the book up again.

This author talks about "the science of religion"...WTF?

It's also VERY clear that it's all about the Christian god and how that is the only way to reform a prisoner, he is taking about three years of "faith saturation". Does that sound like brainwashing to anyone else, or is it just me?

At this point, the author has claimed empirical evidence and then reversed himself so often that it has become laughable. What a crock! It's a waste of the paper it was printed on and the eyestrain to read it.

I will finish it, I am taking notes on what I think of this pile of nonsense and will not hold back when I write the part about what I think of the book...the professor asked...I will answer. I have visions of Church Camp but with bars on the doors and prison attire.

This is the ultimate in door knocking to push your faith on others. Geez Louise!

Anjele.
Irrespective of your own personal views I suggest you stick to the party line as much as possible in this instance. Where a persons career is at stake there is no point in becoming a martyr to a personal cause if it may mean your job.
Some many decades ago when I was studying philosophy of religion, both my lecturer and tutor were hard line Christians. Needless to say my atheistic essays were not appreciated. By altering my modus operandi my marks improved considerably..Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post