Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
RE: Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...
Thanks Woof and I get what you are saying. Even if he completely bombed me on this paper I should still be able to pull at least a B in the class...I don't know that I can BS my way through anything else, this book is disgusting. Between the plea for religious funding from the government, the cult-like brainwashing tactics, and the total BS that religion is a science...I just don't think I can dress that up and pretend I buy into it.

I am willing to concede that churches can be helpful in providing support to prisoners and their families, I don't buy that the only thing that can help a prisoner is the Christian god and his followers.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Book I have to buy, read, and write a report on...
(07-10-2012 04:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Thanks Woof and I get what you are saying. Even if he completely bombed me on this paper I should still be able to pull at least a B in the class...I don't know that I can BS my way through anything else, this book is disgusting. Between the plea for religious funding from the government, the cult-like brainwashing tactics, and the total BS that religion is a science...I just don't think I can dress that up and pretend I buy into it.

I am willing to concede that churches can be helpful in providing support to prisoners and their families, I don't buy that the only thing that can help a prisoner is the Christian god and his followers.

Are you being asked to agree with the text? If its a typical book report, aren't you just reporting what the book said? But I guess if the instructor is asking you to accept it as gospel (pardon the pun), then that would be difficult.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
We have to end with our opinion on it. He probably won't like mine.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 09:27 PM by Azaraith.)
How good are you at being vague? I would just BS and put filler in the opinion part, make it so that he can't really tell one way or another - vague, but have something down that could be considered an "opinion". Sounds like this prof is just a power hungry nutter, I'd say write a scathing review, but I don't have any stake in your getting a good grade Big Grin Like, write about how the author brought up some "thought provoking" ideas (aka anger inducing) and had a thorough plan for how he believed the prison could be run (a bad plan, but a plan nonetheless), etc. Be creative.

Better without God, and happier too.
08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
This is gonna be a long answer so prepare yourself!

First, a bit of background:
I'm a trainer and consultant in IT Service Management and Governance.
In other words my job is as a Communicator and Problem Solver.
As a Communicator, I have to make complex and boring stuff seem simple and fun. I'm not gonna do that now.
As a Problem Solver, I analyse "as is" states and recommend "to be" states based on best practices and experience. I'll give that a go now.

Current situation:
You have been given the role of "Assessor" of information. This is a bit like an Auditor but without the formality. The appropriate framework to make the assessment is something called COBIT. Don't need to worry about that cos I will extract the appropriate bits.

When I am asked to assess information I need to understand where the various stakeholders are coming from. You need to do this, too.

Information "stakeholders" will fit into one or more of the following types:
– Information producer, responsible for creating the information
– Information custodian, responsible for storing and maintaining the information
– Information consumer, responsible for using the information

Understanding this will help determine the assessment criteria.

Example:
My boss might email me some slides for a new course he is thinking of adding to our portfolio and he'll say "what do you think?". I respond with "With regard to what? Do you mean:
Can it be delivered as a course?
Does it make sense?
Is it a good fit with the rest of our catalogue?
Is the spelling ok?"
If I don't get a reply (i.e. he, the stakeholder, has not identified his needs or identified the criteria by which I should be making the assessment), I will send the slides back with this comment:
"Yes, nice. I like the colour scheme."
... just to make a point.

You have to give your opinion about this book but as others have said, this is not the same as agreeing with its content.

You can therefore review the book using a number of different criteria.

Here are the criteria that an assessor will use when asked to look at 'information quality' which is essential what a book review entails:

Goals — The goals of information are divided into three subdimensions of quality:

1. Intrinsic quality (the extent to which data values are in conformance with the actual or true values). It includes:
– Accuracy—The extent to which information is correct and reliable
– Objectivity—The extent to which information is unbiased, unprejudiced and impartial
– Believability—The extent to which information is regarded as true and credible
– Reputation—The extent to which information is highly regarded in terms of its source or content

2. Contextual and representational quality (the extent to which information is applicable to the task of the information user and is presented in an intelligible and clear manner, recognising that information quality depends on the context of use). It includes:
– Relevancy—The extent to which information is applicable and helpful for the task at hand
– Completeness—The extent to which information is not missing and is of sufficient depth and breadth for the task at hand
– Currency—The extent to which information is sufficiently up to date for the task at hand
– Appropriate amount of information—The extent to which the volume of information is appropriate for the task at hand
– Concise representation—The extent to which information is compactly represented
– Consistent representation—The extent to which information is presented in the same format
– Interpretability—The extent to which information is in appropriate languages, symbols and units, with clear definitions
– Understandability—The extent to which information is easily comprehended
– Ease of manipulation—The extent to which information is easy to manipulate and apply to different tasks.

3. Security/accessibility quality (the extent to which information is available or obtainable). It includes:
– Availability/timeliness—The extent to which information is available when required, or easily and quickly retrievable
– Restricted access—The extent to which access to information is restricted appropriately to authorised parties

Using point 1. (above) could be dangerous to your grades because the truth will hurt your stakeholder's feelings (contradict his beliefs).
I don't think point 3. (above) is relevant but it would certainly be safe to talk about these quailty areas.

So, stick to point 2. (above). Keep your review objective (evidence-based) and not subjective (opinion) and you should be ok.

Our quality team always welcome feedback. If you found this reply useful please "like" it.

Tongue