Poll: Is this a good or bad idea for a book?
Good
Bad
[Show Results]

Book Idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Book Idea
I have an idea for a book and I welcome any advice the members of TTA might have.
My book would be titled "My Year of Sin" (or something like that)
The premise is that I would spend a whole year attempting to break EVERY rule in the bible so as to become the "ultimate sinner". The point of the book would be to show how many silly, outdated and stupid rules there are in the bible. Also how many rules there are that MOST people break every year.
I was inspired by this book: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Yea...ing_Biblically

My first step would be to get a compleate list of all the rules/commandments/mitzvots that are in the bible. I have found these two sourses:
OLD TESTAMENT:
http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm
NEW TESTAMENT:
http://www.cai.org/bible-studies/105...ament-commands

The old testament one is great, but the new testament one is not as clear. If anyone knows of better sources, please let me know.

Some rules will be fun to break...
Not to have intercourse with another man's wife (Lev. 18:20) (CCN124).

Some rules will be fucking easy to break...
Not to swear needlessly (Ex. 20:7) (CCN29).

Some rules I won't break because it would be unethical...
Not to slay an innocent person (Ex. 20:13) (CCN32).

Some I won't break because I don't want to...
Not to commit sodomy with one's father's brother (Lev. 18:14) (CCN114).

Some rules will require a lot of effort to break...
Not to eat a limb removed from a living beast (Deut. 12:23) (CCN90).

And some I can't break because they don't apply to me...
That a woman should not wear men's clothing (Deut. 22:5) (CCN178).

I'm a cartoonist. So the more interesting/stupid/funny sins would be illustrated.

I would also provide a check list so that readers could mark things that they, themselves, have done.

There are many people who say they follow the bible - but clearly have no idea how many stupid rules there are.

Here is the format that the book would take:

The first part would be an introduction.
The next several parts would be a collection of interesting stories and funny antidotes from my "year of sin". Probebly in cronological order.
The last part would be an orderly list of all the sins of the bible. Each listed something like this:

Rule: The commandment/law/mitzvot translated into simple modern English.
Category: Sex, Food, Crimes, etc...
Difficulty: Easy to break, Hard to break, Impractical to break, Impossible, Not Applicable, Unethical, Don't Want To, Etc...
Quote: The applicable biblical passage.
Clarification: The rule is explained in greater detail.
Execution of sin: The story of how I went about breaking the rule.
(Optional Illustration)

Here is a fictional example of what it would look like:

Rule: Do not eat strangled meats.
Category: Food
Difficulty: Hard to break
Quote: Acts 15:20 New International Version (NIV) = "Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood."
Clarification: A "strangled animal" is one that was suffocated and the blood not drained from it. For example - if a rabbit was cought in a snare, by the neck, and choked to death. If the rabbit was caught alive, had it's head chopped off and then drained of blood - THEN you could eat it.
Execution of sin: I bought a chicken, that had already been killed by strangulation. I then cooked and ate it.

So what do you all think? Should be an interesting year, right? Would it make for an interesting read? Would it educate the public? Would it be funny? Would it sell?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Book Idea
I hope your cartoonism is better than your spelling!
Just kidding.

I think it's a great idea.

As I was reading, my first thought was "oh yeah? Thou shalt not kill?" but then you explained your intent with that.
Then I thought, surely in this age, youtube vids would reach a wider audience and then I read you are a cartoonist so....
I would buy a cartoon book, loaded with irony, please. Animate some of the cartoons for youtube to help sell your book.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
(01-08-2012 08:47 AM)suncrafter Wrote:  Some rules will require a lot of effort to break...
Not to eat a limb removed from a living beast (Deut. 12:23) (CCN90).

And some I can't break because they don't apply to me...
That a woman should not wear men's clothing (Deut. 22:5) (CCN178).

These would be pretty easy, really... most people already eat meat. I don't think it means that you have to go up and start chopping away at something and pull it's leg off as it's trying to run away... I think it just means not to eat meat. No too difficult for some... I'm a vegetarian but hey... I'm up for a little sin now and then. Wink

As for the other one... why don't you wear women's clothing? You could have some groovy kilts run up ... love a fella in a kilt. Surely that might piss someone off... depending on where you are. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
(01-08-2012 09:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ....Then I thought, surely in this age, youtube vids would reach a wider audience and then I read you are a cartoonist so....
I would buy a cartoon book, loaded with irony, please. Animate some of the cartoons for youtube to help sell your book.

Making a video log of each sin, and making them into a video, is a great promotion idea! Thank you. Smile
01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
(01-08-2012 10:21 AM)kim Wrote:  As for the other one... why don't you wear women's clothing? You could have some groovy kilts run up ... love a fella in a kilt. Surely that might piss someone off... depending on where you are. Thumbsup

Actually there is one rule about women not dressing like men and another one about men not dressing like women. The first rule I can't break, because I'm a man. The second one I can. In fact I broke that one a few years ago while promoting my anti-fraud website... http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2009-04-2...-a-time/2/
02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
(01-08-2012 10:21 AM)kim Wrote:  These would be pretty easy, really...

A lot of sins would require that I plant some crops of some sort. I guess I small garden would suffice.
[+] 1 user Likes suncrafter's post
06-08-2012, 10:08 AM
This might serve better as a montage video rather than writing it all down. I guess if you tell the stories comedically it would be ok. F*** it, do what you want. I'll vote yes.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
(01-08-2012 06:43 PM)suncrafter Wrote:  Making a video log of each sin, and making them into a video, is a great promotion idea! Thank you. Smile

Actually, I think this is a much easier sell than a book. An atheist forum is not the best place for running book ideas -- I'd suggest running them by a publisher. I'm not a publisher (nor a literary expert of any type), but I don't think such a book would sell. The idea of living biblically for a year sold because most of us can't picture what that's like -- but living a life of sin we can imagine (and many of us live it). YouTube, though, is an atheist playground and a very easy place to generate atheist interest. You could make a regular series out of it.

Whether you follow my idea or just use them for promotion, please post links to your videos here and we'd be happy to follow along.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
So . . . you only have a problem sodomizing an uncle? Your omission would lead one to believe that you are open to breaking that one with someone else. Wink

Just make sure you are the catcher and not the pitcher if you want to break 1 Corinthians 6:9, as the original Greek only condemned the "effeminate" one on the receiving end. The pitcher was still considered a man's man and would make it into the Kingdom.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
And as a follow up you could always look up some pre O.T & N.T sins.
In this crazy world may well be a best seller.

As for animals (sins against) as a partly lapsed former vego I don't think i will partake of your literary biblical smorgasbord..........................Evil_monster