Book Recommendation for PleaseJesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 10:53 AM
RE: Book Recommendation for PleaseJesus
Quote:Instead of sticking fingers in your ears and flatly declaring, "FOSSILS DON'T SHOW EVOLUTION, FOSSILS DON'T SHOW EVOLUTION!!!!", perhaps you should take the time to study paleontology first before discounting an entire field of study and the work of some fifty thousand scientists over the last two hundred years, just because they challenge a detail of your world view. I suggest starting with a book on invertebrate paleontology. For instance, Invertebrate Paleontology by Easton, or Invertebrate Paleontology by Twenhofel & Shrock, or some such. Maybe even audit Historical Geology 101 at your local community college?
I'm NOT sticking my fingers in my ears, I'm looking at the fossil data. I'm also used to stupid Christians wrongly interpreting the scriptures, so how are stupid scientists exempt from misinterpreting fossil data, especially since, ADMIT IT, fossil data is woefully incomplete regarding the life cycle, habits, motion, etc., etc. of any animal in the record. How do you know fossils of expired species were living species to begin, e.g.? Of COURSE I believe there were animals and plants inside those prints and shells but how do you know they're not merely billions of sophisticated rock carvings from aliens who lived here?! You're just questioning my assumptions and I question yours, deal with it.

Smaller and larger horses? Done. Ape skeletons that seem similar to humans? Done. Short necked giraffes and shorter plant fossils for the invisible, magical giraffes to eat? Not done. Get over yourself and be honest, brother!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:Please Jesus,
There are a few books that might fit your criteria:
1. Relics of Eden: The Powerful Evidence of Evolution in Human DNA, by Daniel J. Fairbanks
2. Genetics: The continuity of Life, by Daniel J. Fairbanks and Ralph Andersen
3. Evolution, by Douglas Futuyama (this is a textbook)

I've read all three and can vouch for the authors in terms of scholarship and the material might be exactly what you are looking for. Let me know what you think.

Doc
Good times. I'll check these out and check in again. THANK YOU!
17-04-2013, 10:57 AM
F.

There's your test result. Ever read Ecclesiastes? Solomon gets away with saying "the reading of many books tires the mind," ... because he read many books! Now go back and read the tao.

As far as "macro-evolution" is concerned, that is not a scientific term, it is a political term. Wanna demonstration? Count to ten...

Single digit...single digit... single digit... / ...double digit! How'd that happen? Exactly.

Fucking guy. I'd educate you, but they don't pay me enough. Tongue

Which is to say, if you're not willing to learn, there is no reason for me to be willing to teach. I'm willing to learn. But you're not saying anything. You're demonstrating why atheists have little patience for theists. That's the lesson I'm getting here.

Woodchipper.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-04-2013, 11:39 AM
(17-04-2013 10:53 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Short necked giraffes and shorter plant fossils for the invisible, magical giraffes to eat? Not done. Get over yourself and be honest, brother!

Oh brother, when you fail you fail HARD. Let me google that for you.

https://www.google.com/#output=search&sc...20&bih=969

And are you seriously suggesting that there's no such thing as short plants? Laughat

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
17-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Maybe you should start by browsing the taxonomic tree to see what we already know, since you don't seem to know anything about even what fossils have been discovered, outside of dinosaurs and things specifically told to you by people who understand these things.

Here's a good database, I've started it off on Homo Sapiens for you so you can see the major branches in the lineage leading to us. If you want to know more about a given clade, Google it, most important ones should turn up something, perhaps a list of species, including extinct ones known from fossils.

http://www.uniprot.org/taxonomy/9606

Note that it is, still, incomplete.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
17-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Transitional fossils, SexuallyPleasingJebusTrollJoke.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/12/...y-quandary

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2013, 01:01 PM
In the pamphlet thread I already gave you a link to a book. The youtube link noted on page 1 is a talk given by the author. I suggest that book first prior to the "heavy" texts that have been listed. I have a feeling you won't even get through a short book.
17-04-2013, 01:11 PM
(17-04-2013 10:53 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Instead of sticking fingers in your ears and flatly declaring, "FOSSILS DON'T SHOW EVOLUTION, FOSSILS DON'T SHOW EVOLUTION!!!!", perhaps you should take the time to study paleontology first before discounting an entire field of study and the work of some fifty thousand scientists over the last two hundred years, just because they challenge a detail of your world view. I suggest starting with a book on invertebrate paleontology. For instance, Invertebrate Paleontology by Easton, or Invertebrate Paleontology by Twenhofel & Shrock, or some such. Maybe even audit Historical Geology 101 at your local community college?
I'm NOT sticking my fingers in my ears, I'm looking at the fossil data. I'm also used to stupid Christians wrongly interpreting the scriptures, so how are stupid scientists exempt from misinterpreting fossil data, especially since, ADMIT IT, fossil data is woefully incomplete regarding the life cycle, habits, motion, etc., etc. of any animal in the record. How do you know fossils of expired species were living species to begin, e.g.? Of COURSE I believe there were animals and plants inside those prints and shells but how do you know they're not merely billions of sophisticated rock carvings from aliens who lived here?! You're just questioning my assumptions and I question yours, deal with it.

Smaller and larger horses? Done. Ape skeletons that seem similar to humans? Done. Short necked giraffes and shorter plant fossils for the invisible, magical giraffes to eat? Not done. Get over yourself and be honest, brother!

Fossils are only part of the evidence and aren't even necessary.

You have a bit of reading to do.

Try Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne to start with.

Jerry Coyne, PhD is an evolutionary geneticist at the University of Chicago.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:Oh brother, when you fail you fail HARD. Let me google that for you.

And are you seriously suggesting that there's no such thing as short plants?
The species you cited is projected from fossils and is an Okapi, not a giraffe strictly and per se. Nor are there intermediate giraffes with in-between necks.

Nor are their plants of shorter height that are the same plants that tall, fully necked giraffes currently eat! Non sequiturs.
17-04-2013, 01:40 PM
(17-04-2013 01:32 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Oh brother, when you fail you fail HARD. Let me google that for you.

And are you seriously suggesting that there's no such thing as short plants?
The species you cited is projected from fossils and is an Okapi, not a giraffe strictly and per se. Nor are there intermediate giraffes with in-between necks.

Nor are their plants of shorter height that are the same plants that tall, fully necked giraffes currently eat! Non sequiturs.

What do you know of Linnean classification and the assignment of organisms to species?

Evolve