Book Recommendation for PleaseJesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 11:12 AM
RE: Book Recommendation for PleaseJesus
(31-05-2013 11:03 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:But this seems to be showing a misunderstanding on your part because you are arguing a strawman. Eukaryotes appear to have diverged into the plant and animal lines, which have further diverged from there.

If you are insistent on this understanding of kinds, are you also saying the Bible authors understood evolution of a billion years ago two millennia before we did?

That's not at all what he is saying and you are just obfuscating and you know it. No further response is warranted to this joke of a post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 02:29 PM
WHY I AM AN AGNOSTIC - Robert Green Ingersoll, 1896.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
31-05-2013, 03:07 PM
PleaseJesus: You present yourself as some kind of scholar, yet you ask questions like this: "Great point. Mustard greens are indeed significantly different than broccoli, cauliflower, etc. But they are still plants, reproducing after their own kind. What kind of dramatic genetic engineering would be required for plants to become animals?" Have you read your own question? Your ultimate question seems to be: "What kind of genetic engineering would be required for mustard greens to become animals?" The answer is: We don't know. As a layman, I don't know how much science has been done to turn plants into animals. But I am baffled as to what this has to do with evolution or religion? I am, however, beginning to suspect that you have an infinate asshole! Because your ability to pull stuff out of it simply amazes me! You should write a self help book for the rest of us! "You're Ass! How You can Find the Answers to Life's Difficult Questions by Squating and looking into a Mirror!" . . . or something like that. Really! Go! Go write a book!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
31-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I think I've only seen one person with rectal capacity equal to PJ's. But posting a link would probably get me banned.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
31-05-2013, 07:08 PM
(31-05-2013 04:16 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I think I've only seen one person with rectal capacity equal to PJ's. But posting a link would probably get me banned.

Thanks for considering your account and our eyes, Phaedrus.

It's too late for me as google and I have sadly gone to odd places out of ignorance and regretted it. Every. Damn. Time. xD

PJ's most recent thread did get this thread to die down abit.

I recommend xkcd as a beginner cartoon strip. It certainly does make the mind wonder what the hell some of the jokes are on about and prompts ones self to do research on the joke to figure out what the fun is all about.

Even with all the disagreements, I'm adding a few of these books to my list. Thanks to all for the recommendations! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:But this seems to be showing a misunderstanding on your part because you are arguing a strawman. Eukaryotes appear to have diverged into the plant and animal lines, which have further diverged from there.

If you are insistent on this understanding of kinds, are you also saying the Bible authors understood evolution of a billion years ago two millennia before we did?

That is an absurd statement. It is obvious that there are different forms of life to anyone.

You do not understand evolution. Plants don't 'turn into' animals, birds don't 'turn into' mammals. You keep repeating this dreadful misunderstanding.

You do not understand common ancestry and deep time. Billions of years of time.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
After reading this thread I have concluded that the original poster has absolutely no interest whatsoever in obtaining any knowledge regarding the subject matter he originally posted about.

It is clear that his objective is to accuse anyone of using logical fallacies (ie: appeal to authority, which he clearly does not understand) when instead a collective of intelligence is presented to him.

The appeal to authority argument is only applied fallaciously when:

1. cases where the authority is not a subject-matter expert
2. cases where there is no consensus among experts in the subject matter
3. any appeal to authority used in the context of deductive reasoning.

In this argument on this thread, those who are responding to him are instead using a collective of intelligence, which is by no means a fallacious arguments of authority.

Please continue ...

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM

I have no understanding of kinds because I have enquired with many people and not found anyone who can propose a list of what the kinds might have been. But if kind is similar enough to species then I would say that believing in "each after its own kind" is compatible with accepting evolution. Thinking you must believe something different to accept evolution is to misunderstand the process. Each species diverges over time but ultimately remains recognisable by common traits even over billions of years. Animal cells stay animal, plant cells stay plant.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:PleaseJesus: You present yourself as some kind of scholar, yet you ask questions like this: "Great point. Mustard greens are indeed significantly different than broccoli, cauliflower, etc. But they are still plants, reproducing after their own kind. What kind of dramatic genetic engineering would be required for plants to become animals?" Have you read your own question? Your ultimate question seems to be: "What kind of genetic engineering would be required for mustard greens to become animals?" The answer is: We don't know. As a layman, I don't know how much science has been done to turn plants into animals. But I am baffled as to what this has to do with evolution or religion?

You're just not getting it folks. Two things:

1. My questions aren't because I misunderstand the science and philosophy of evolution. They're geared to get you to think. So let me rephrase to help you. If plants can never become animals or vice versa because the evolutionary gap is too great, why can wingless animals become winged ones or land animals become sea life or vice versa? After all, aren't the needed organs, subroutines and "programming" almost as vast?

2. Might as well wait for now. Sigh.
04-06-2013, 01:26 PM
(04-06-2013 01:15 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If plants can never become animals or vice versa because the evolutionary gap is too great, why can wingless animals become winged ones or land animals become sea life or vice versa? After all, aren't the needed organs, subroutines and "programming" almost as vast?

No, and here is why. Wingless to winged is incremental steps that has happened several times in multiple species and has nothing to do with what kind of animal it is. Plant to animal or Animal to plant however is for all intents impossible because of the billions of years since that split happened. It is like this a mammal can become a marine mammal but can never become a fish. Evolution isn't a magic wand it follows some pretty harsh rules that you want it to ignore. It also, generally follows the path of least resistance meaning it almost never rewires stuff from scratch but adds new code on top of old code (this is why there are vestigial limbs and organs easier to just code over them than to re-code them)

Non-intelligent design there. In every step it was easier to make that nerve just a little longer than it was to reroute it until you get a nerve that is 12 feet long to go a distance of 6 inches.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post