Seriously good read right here

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-04-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: Book Recommendation for PleaseJesus
(18-04-2013 11:02 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Don't mind the paleontologist who hasn't been responded to.
Um, the one who put me on ignore last month?

You don't get it--there are hundreds of millions of people around the world who group up with shifting cladistics through the years. For every two species you can show me with your imaginary links, I can ask why there aren't hundreds or thousands of fossils showing the in-between steps with characteristics from each specie.

One more time--in Photoshop if you want to make red blend to blue, you choose a number of steps, say "10" and then you'll see a rainbow of 10 red-to-blue shades in between in the intervening space.

You're confusing "transitory forms" with "fully formed, distinct and different forms."

M&Ms plain version are remarkably similar in and outside to peanut M&Ms. But each was designed and made, not randomly produced.

Your ignorance is shining so brightly.
That we have any fossils at all is rather remarkable.
And fossils are not the only, or even the necessary, evidence for evolution.

The common chemistry, the common structures, the adaptations, and so on create an indisputable body of evidence.

Please read some of the suggested books.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Oh God. Are you kidding? YES ITS REMARKABLE WE HAVE FOSSILS AS I KNOW. After all, kill an animal and it's hardly going to be a fossil today unless under certain unusual, shall we say, flood-like, conditions.

Of course, sometimes we have fossilized trees standing erect through coal and other layers of rock that are hundreds of millions of years "older".

I'm aware of the common chemistry, Captain, as this planet supports carbon-based life forms. Live long and prosper.

I'm aware of the common structures. Although plants and animals are a bit different as kingdoms of living things, wouldn't you say?

The adaptations and so on create an indisputable body of evidence for microevolution. Bears hibernate. other animals shed or are shorn. Cats don't adapt to their environment by giving birth to dogs.

Last time I checked, mom and dad have a limited amount of genetic material they can supply me, right? Arrrrrrrrrrrgh.
18-04-2013, 11:22 AM
(18-04-2013 11:18 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Oh God. Are you kidding? YES ITS REMARKABLE WE HAVE FOSSILS AS I KNOW. After all, kill an animal and it's hardly going to be a fossil today unless under certain unusual, shall we say, flood-like, conditions.

Of course, sometimes we have fossilized trees standing erect through coal and other layers of rock that are hundreds of millions of years "older".

I'm aware of the common chemistry, Captain, as this planet supports carbon-based life forms. Live long and prosper.

I'm aware of the common structures. Although plants and animals are a bit different as kingdoms of living things, wouldn't you say?

The adaptations and so on create an indisputable body of evidence for microevolution. Bears hibernate. other animals shed or are shorn. Cats don't adapt to their environment by giving birth to dogs.

Last time I checked, mom and dad have a limited amount of genetic material they can supply me, right? Arrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Please read those books.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2013, 11:22 AM
(18-04-2013 11:18 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Oh God. Are you kidding? YES ITS REMARKABLE WE HAVE FOSSILS AS I KNOW. After all, kill an animal and it's hardly going to be a fossil today unless under certain unusual, shall we say, flood-like, conditions.

teehee, you said 'erect'.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
18-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Re: Book Recommendation for PleaseJesus
Lol, is he arguing for a biblical flood now? And using the tree argument? Wow, even AiG gave up on that one.
18-04-2013, 12:42 PM

"...kill an animal and it's hardly going to be a fossil today unless under certain unusual, shall we say, flood-like, conditions."

The people frozen in time at the base of Mt. Vesuvius in volcanic debris flows
[Image: 1219516255.jpg]

Mammoths frozen in ice/permafrost
[Image: jarkov_decouvert_dans_son_bloc_de_glace2.jpg]

People preserved in peat bogs
[Image: tollund.jpg]

Insects in amber
[Image: Insects-in-Amber-and-Copal-26146_image.jpg]

Petrified national forest. Where the trees are covered by a layer of volcanic ash that helped to preserve them and provided the silica for the mineralization needed to make them into petrified trees.
[Image: petrified-forest-national-park.jpg]

All the organisms from the Burgess Shale that are the result of a submarine landslide where a shallow water community was on the edge of an unstable platform that collapsed and buried everything at once. And did so more than once.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXRhtBeJxjah_AJ5eH1yq...gg_q9YQiRg]

These are but just a few that require no change in the depth of water in order to become preserved as fossils.

"Of course, sometimes we have fossilized trees standing erect through coal and other layers of rock that are hundreds of millions of years "older"."

You mean, like the Gilboa forest where the only thing standing are the stumps of the trees and there are impressions left by the other plants that lived there too? You know, the types of things that would have been washed-away had it been a flood that buried them?
[Image: xlarge.jpg]
[Image: Gilboa-diagram1.jpg]

"I'm aware of the common structures. Although plants and animals are a bit different as kingdoms of living things, wouldn't you say?"

This is addressable once you answer my question about systematics.

"The adaptations and so on create an indisputable body of evidence for microevolution. Bears hibernate. other animals shed or are shorn. Cats don't adapt to their environment by giving birth to dogs."

What you coin as "microevolution" is "change in allele frequency in a population over time." What you coin as "macroevolution" is one thing giving birth to another species. Which demonstrates that you either have no interest in learning about evolution, or read everything about it as if it is wrong from the outset. As such, recommending any book to you would be a waste of good literature. Start off with a textbook on Evolution or paleontology.

I've got both of those, try them.

"Last time I checked, mom and dad have a limited amount of genetic material they can supply me, right? Arrrrrrrrrrrgh."

And you're not a new species. You are Homo sapiens. But you are different than your mother and your father. You are a combination, and a recombination. Mutations, back-mutations, genetic drift, natural selection, punctuated equilibrium, etc. Don't occur on the time scales of single generations.

In order to understand that, you need one of these too.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I already wrote I want books from experts not your spurious "proofs". The bloody mammoths you pictured are frozen standing erect, evidencing catastrophisms that are biblical but denied in your worldview.

There is nothing in my parents' genetics or yours that will alter our kingdom or family or make us grow new organs with new functions.

The human eye could have evolved in just 1,839 steps in 346,000 years, not including any neurological structure to support SIGHT.

I'l get into those books and get back with y'all.
18-04-2013, 02:06 PM
(18-04-2013 02:03 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I already wrote I want books from experts not your spurious "proofs". The bloody mammoths you pictured are frozen standing erect, evidencing catastrophisms that are biblical but denied in your worldview.

There is nothing in my parents' genetics or yours that will alter our kingdom or family or make us grow new organs with new functions.

The human eye could have evolved in just 1,839 steps in 346,000 years, not including any neurological structure to support SIGHT.

I'l get into those books and get back with y'all.

"I already wrote I want books from experts not your spurious "proofs". The bloody mammoths you pictured are frozen standing erect, evidencing catastrophisms that are biblical but denied in your worldview."

The confirmation bias is strong with this one. Dodgy

"There is nothing in my parents' genetics or yours that will alter our kingdom or family or make us grow new organs with new functions."

Still no answer about my systematics question.

"The human eye could have evolved in just 1,839 steps in 346,000 years, not including any neurological structure to support SIGHT."

Please qualify that with actual evidence.

Evolve
18-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:And you're not a new species. You are Homo sapiens. But you are different than your mother and your father. You are a combination, and a recombination. Mutations, back-mutations, genetic drift, natural selection, punctuated equilibrium, etc. Don't occur on the time scales of single generations.
I'm so tired of this circular garbage, but I'll read some books regardless.

Are you so dense or stubborn you refuse to admit that "punctuated equilibrium" touches on the Cambrian and other explosions including whole realms of species coming in suddenly and NOT over excessive periods of time?

I NEVER said they occur on the time scales of single generations. NEVER. I said that there's a difference between cats breeding to form new cat species (or adaptation or even mutation and allele changes) and cats breeding or adapting or mutating to grow wings and glide or fly over time.

Let's start with "macroevolution" is not seen now and is the assumed vehicle for species change. Be honest, please.