Book Recommendations for a Theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Book Recommendations for a Theist.
Hey guys,

I am a Christian/Catholic and haven't read any books on atheism. I would however like to read some books that challenge my current views. What would you recommend as, let's say, the top 3 books I should read that argue in favour of atheism?

Thanks,
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
RE: Book Recommendations for a Theist.
(10-09-2013 09:31 PM)CanMan86 Wrote:  Hey guys,

I am a Christian/Catholic and haven't read any books on atheism. I would however like to read some books that challenge my current views. What would you recommend as, let's say, the top 3 books I should read that argue in favour of atheism?

Thanks,
Chris

god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Letter to a christian nation by Sam Harris

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
For extra credit: The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts

There will be a quiz later. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-09-2013, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 02:24 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(10-09-2013 09:31 PM)CanMan86 Wrote:  Hey guys,

Thanks,
Chris

While I could recommend that you jump in head first with something from Hitchens, Dawkins, or Harris, I'd rather not potentially trigger a knee-jerk reaction.

So start off easy, get up to speed on what the mainstream consensus is in Biblical Studies, because laypeople are about 3~5 decades behind the curve of what the scholar know and agree upon. First I'd suggest A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam by Karen Armstrong. Next I'd read Bart D. Ehrman's Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don't Know About Them) and Forged: Writing in the Name of God--Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are.

After that you might find books written by former believers to be interesting, in which case I'd recommend Dan Barker's Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists or Jerry DeWitt's Hope After Faith: An Ex-Pastor's Journey from Belief to Atheism.

At this point Harris' books, The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason and Letter to a Christian Nation would be worth a read.

Finally one of the most devastating combinations would be John W. Loftus' trilogy of books, the last two of which are anthology volumes with each chapter by a different accomplished scholar. Those books would be Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity, The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails, and The End of Christianity. These books contain chapters written by David Eller, Jason Long, Edward T. Babinski, Paul Tobin, Hector Avalos, Robert M. Price, Richard Carrier, Jaco Gericke, Valeria Tarico, Ken Pulliam, Matt McCormick, Keith Parsons, and Victor J. Stenger.

Lastly you could finish up with Hitchen's God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. While I enjoy Hitchens, he can be an ass sometimes and he doesn't make the best or most intellectual arguments, but he was an eloquent writer and speaker; and to quote Sam Harris "the man had more wit, and style, and substance than a few civilizations I can name".

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-09-2013, 12:53 AM
My book includes summaries from of a number of different scholarly books, including The Bible Unearthed, mentioned above.

http://diogenesofmayberry.com/manifest-insanity/

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2013, 03:07 AM
I find some of the current atheist authors a bit confrontational to my taste. If I can be personally a bit confrontational myself. I am also old enough to feel that older authors may have been more thorough.

I would suggest: "Letters to the Earth" by Mark Twain; "The Illusion of Immortality" by Corliss Lamont and "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell.
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
11-09-2013, 03:18 AM
(11-09-2013 03:07 AM)JAH Wrote:  I would suggest: "Letters to the Earth" by Mark Twain; "The Illusion of Immortality" by Corliss Lamont and "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell.

Classics. Might I also suggest Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark or Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Wow what a good thread. Could I ask someone chip in with some good books for lay people (non-scientists) wanting to understand the Theory of Evolution? Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I am not very good at searching the forum yet. Big Grin

Cheers

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
11-09-2013, 07:07 AM
A good start on the theory of evolution for Christians is Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose?

CanMan86, what did you have in mind when you talked about atheism? If you're happy to step outside of books as a media then I would suggest "The athiest experience"[2] as starting point for getting a sense about what exactly atheism is, and how conventional apologetic arguments tend to stack up against it.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Evolution...0825462924
[2] http://www.atheist-experience.com/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-09-2013, 07:25 AM
(11-09-2013 06:56 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  Wow what a good thread. Could I ask someone chip in with some good books for lay people (non-scientists) wanting to understand the Theory of Evolution? Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I am not very good at searching the forum yet. Big Grin

Cheers

All of the books mentioned are written for the educated layman.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user