Book Recommendations for a Theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2013, 10:26 AM
RE: Book Recommendations for a Theist.
(11-09-2013 06:56 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  Wow what a good thread. Could I ask someone chip in with some good books for lay people (non-scientists) wanting to understand the Theory of Evolution? Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I am not very good at searching the forum yet. Big Grin

Cheers

The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, Climbing Mount Improbable, and the greatest show on earth all by Richard Dawkins. Dawkins real strength is explaining Biology and evolution in a way even laymen can understand. That would be a great start and then if you still want more Steven Gould has some very good works (though they are a little out of date now)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-09-2013, 10:48 AM
To the excellently enumerated editions above, I'd add:
Some Mistakes of Moses - R. G. Ingersoll.

... this is my signature!
11-09-2013, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 11:26 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(11-09-2013 10:48 AM)cjlr Wrote:  To the excellently enumerated editions above, I'd add:
Some Mistakes of Moses - R. G. Ingersoll.

Not only is this an amazing piece of literature from the golden age of free-thought, it's also old enough to be public domain. You can actually read Ingersoll's 'Some Mistakes of Moses' through Google as a free ebook. You can also download it as a PDF or generic EPUB file for e-readers.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Some...UaAAAAYAAJ

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
11-09-2013, 11:20 AM
(10-09-2013 09:31 PM)CanMan86 Wrote:  Hey guys,

I am a Christian/Catholic and haven't read any books on atheism. I would however like to read some books that challenge my current views. What would you recommend as, let's say, the top 3 books I should read that argue in favour of atheism?

Thanks,
Chris

The others have mentioned some great books.

I have a question...are you ready for your views to not only be challenged but completely altered?

Either way welcome...fair number of Ex-Catholics here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
(11-09-2013 10:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 06:56 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  Wow what a good thread. Could I ask someone chip in with some good books for lay people (non-scientists) wanting to understand the Theory of Evolution? Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I am not very good at searching the forum yet. Big Grin

Cheers

The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, Climbing Mount Improbable, and the greatest show on earth all by Richard Dawkins. Dawkins real strength is explaining Biology and evolution in a way even laymen can understand. That would be a great start and then if you still want more Steven Gould has some very good works (though they are a little out of date now)

Of all of Dawkin's books, The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution is the broadest in it's scope. While the other books tackled specific topics within evolutionary biology, his latest book was written as a catch-all work to prove the validity of evolution as a whole to a layman audience. It's probably the best one to read for a broad introductory look at the theory and the evidence that supports it.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
11-09-2013, 11:40 AM
(10-09-2013 09:31 PM)CanMan86 Wrote:  Hey guys,

I am a Christian/Catholic and haven't read any books on atheism. I would however like to read some books that challenge my current views. What would you recommend as, let's say, the top 3 books I should read that argue in favour of atheism?

Thanks,
Chris

What are your views? Do you accept evolution? I see a number of posts on this thread for books about evolution but I know many Catholics do accept evolution so that isn't really a challenge to your view. Do you take the bible literally? If not, then books by people like Bart Erhman won't do much to challenge your faith. I could use a few more specifics as to what exactly you believe before recommending a lists of books so I don't lists books that challenge beliefs you don't actually hold.
11-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Personally, one of the most succinct books to read is probably Hitchens', God Is Not Great - it's a quick read, intelligent, and very well written.
Something to keep in mind when reading all these fine books is that there is no one thing which can be referred to as atheism. It is not a belief system; it is the reaction to a belief system.

If there is a single shared attribute, it might be the rejection of the idea of any supernatural influence upon life as it is currently known.

Bonchance CanMan and welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-09-2013, 12:35 PM
1. "Who Wrote The Bible" ... Dr. Richard Elliott Friedmann (UC San Diego)
2. "How the Bible Became a Book, the Textualization of Ancient Israel" ... Dr. William M. Schneidwind, (UCLA)
3. "Good and Evil", Martin Buber.. Jewish Torah / Talmud scholar. (Christians know him from his "I and Thou"). Can skip Part I. Part II debunks the entire "salvation" paradigm, as inauthentic, non-biblical, misguided, non-historical, non-Hebrew, and debunks the entire later Christian invention/construction of "sin". Places the ideas in the original contexts from Babylonian myth systems, (where they were originally taken from).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-09-2013, 12:40 PM
(11-09-2013 10:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Cheers

If you don't want to buy books just watch Don Exodus' videos on YouTube, or Dr. Jerry Coyne's video's from U of Chicago, or Dr. Jack Szostak's from Harvard's vids on the origins of life, (all on YouTube).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow guys you've given me a lot of options here! I'll probably start off with the more popular authors, Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris and then work my way from there.

Someone asked about my views on evolution and biblical literalism so I'll provide an answer. I understand the various texts of the Bible according to the intention the authors had when they wrote them. I also take into account the interpretation of the Church Fathers, the Catholic/Orthodox Church's interpretation, the genre it's written in, common sense, science, reason, personal understanding...

As for evolution, I simply trust what the experts in that field tell us. Seriously, how the heck would I know how to world came to be? So if the experts say the world came to be over a long process of evolution then I accept that.