Book Recommendations for a Theist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 07:17 AM
RE: Book Recommendations for a Theist.
(11-09-2013 09:17 PM)CanMan86 Wrote:  Wow guys you've given me a lot of options here! I'll probably start off with the more popular authors, Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris and then work my way from there.

Someone asked about my views on evolution and biblical literalism so I'll provide an answer. I understand the various texts of the Bible according to the intention the authors had when they wrote them. I also take into account the interpretation of the Church Fathers, the Catholic/Orthodox Church's interpretation, the genre it's written in, common sense, science, reason, personal understanding...

As for evolution, I simply trust what the experts in that field tell us. Seriously, how the heck would I know how to world came to be? So if the experts say the world came to be over a long process of evolution then I accept that.

You shouldn't just accept the statements of experts. It is more fruitful, honest, and rewarding to study how they arrived at those conclusions, to seek alternatives and criticisms, then come to your own conclusion which may or may not align with the experts' views.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-09-2013, 07:25 AM
(12-09-2013 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  You shouldn't just accept the statements of experts. It is more fruitful, honest, and rewarding to study how they arrived at those conclusions, to seek alternatives and criticisms, then come to your own conclusion which may or may not align with the experts' views.

Agreed. I find evolution convincing not because the vast majority of biologists accept it, but because I've studied it and looked at the evidence and found it to be compelling. Likewise I've found Richard Carrier's 'Jesus Myth' theory to be more compelling than the wider consensus of biblical scholar that disagrees with him. I've found myself agreeing with Sam Harris against my original opinions (like on gun control), and I've found myself disagreeing with others that I generally admire (like Hitchen's support of the intervention in Iraq). These are educated men, but their opinions (however well informed and educated) are not law, they are not perfect, and they are subject to later change and rebuttal.

Just remember that nothing should ever be taken on faith, and you should do fine.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
12-09-2013, 07:35 AM
(12-09-2013 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 09:17 PM)CanMan86 Wrote:  Wow guys you've given me a lot of options here! I'll probably start off with the more popular authors, Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris and then work my way from there.

Someone asked about my views on evolution and biblical literalism so I'll provide an answer. I understand the various texts of the Bible according to the intention the authors had when they wrote them. I also take into account the interpretation of the Church Fathers, the Catholic/Orthodox Church's interpretation, the genre it's written in, common sense, science, reason, personal understanding...

As for evolution, I simply trust what the experts in that field tell us. Seriously, how the heck would I know how to world came to be? So if the experts say the world came to be over a long process of evolution then I accept that.

You shouldn't just accept the statements of experts. It is more fruitful, honest, and rewarding to study how they arrived at those conclusions, to seek alternatives and criticisms, then come to your own conclusion which may or may not align with the experts' views.

I agree, this is a good way to go about things although I'd have to save such inquiry for only those things I care to know more about. There's simply too much to know. As you can see, though, I am doing this for my current religious beliefs since they are important to me.
Find all posts by this user