Book Stores - An Addiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Book Stores - An Addiction?
A few months ago, I discovered the local used book shop. Recently, I've been stopping in every time I'm in that part of town.
Every time, I inevitably come out with a number of books that I'm going to keep ambiguous, but is pretty large.
Seriously, it's starting to turn into a serious problem.

Does anyone else have a similar affliction?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DeadChannel's post
19-01-2015, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2015 01:23 PM by Grasshopper.)
RE: Book Stores - An Addiction?
(19-01-2015 11:47 AM)DeadChannel Wrote:  A few months ago, I discovered the local used book shop. Recently, I've been stopping in every time I'm in that part of town.
Every time, I inevitably come out with a number of books that I'm going to keep ambiguous, but is pretty large.

Yes, and now with the internet, Amazon, etc., I don't even have to go to an actual store anymore. I will not live long enough to read even a fraction of all the books I have (nor do I have shelf space for them), and yet I keep buying more. I guess it's better than booze or crack, but it's still an addiction of sorts.
19-01-2015, 12:31 PM
(19-01-2015 11:47 AM)DeadChannel Wrote:  A few months ago, I discovered the local used book shop. Recently, I've been stopping in every time I'm in that part of town.

Yup. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2015, 12:38 PM
The first step is always to admit the problem Tongue

DC - “Hello, my name is DeadChannel.”

Group- “Hellooooo DeadChannel.”

“I am a bibliophile.”

(polite applause)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
19-01-2015, 01:44 PM
This problem has abated for me significantly over the past decade. When I first moved to Charlotte, I was within walking distance of a Barnes & Noble (we're not terrific about 'local' book shops here). I spent way more money than I should have at that point in my life on books. So I stopped going in.

Now I find I can allow myself to go in because it gives me a chance to physically peruse some books, which Amazon doesn't let you do, really, BUT I have subscriptions to Kindle Unlimited and Oyster Books, and you'd be surprised at how many books you might want to read end up on either of their lists. So instead of impulse buying, I snap a photo of books I find interesting and put them in my goodreads "to read" list and wait. If I can read them electronically for cheaper, I do so. I try now only to buy physical books that I know I want to keep (cooking books, for example) or hardbound copies I "need" (Yes, I needed "The Complete Lovecraft", and my favorite book ever - my tome of a Lord of the Rings with its Alan Lee illustrations). It keeps space requirements in check and my budget on track.

Your mileage may vary on this - I know some people have an aesthetic preference against e-readers, but truthfully I'd rather be able to read more than buy more.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
19-01-2015, 02:00 PM
I primarily buy used, which tends to be quite a bit cheaper than digital. Except, if there's something I can't find used, I typically grab it at b&n whenever the next time I'm in Spokane is.

I have a nook ereader, but it's gone all but unused. With the exception of the odd technical text about comp sci or cinematography or something, which I don't really have any kind of emotional attachment to anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes DeadChannel's post
19-01-2015, 02:03 PM
(19-01-2015 02:00 PM)DeadChannel Wrote:  I primarily buy used, which tends to be quite a bit cheaper than digital.

It can be...until you're paying more in rent per month because you can't store the books you have... Undecided

I've had to cull a lot of stuff out.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
19-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that's true I guess.

I get a credit for bringing books back, so there's that...
19-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Some of my fondest memories were of going to an old used book store in town when I was 9-12 and spending a good hour in there voraciously hunting down books. I had a thing for those old hardbound Readers Digest compendiums, with stories from Arthur C Clarke, Neville Shute, allsorts. I found old history books, old encyclopedias, old classic novels, all between 10p and 50p. It was like some jamboree bag, or beachcombing for shells, and the fun was reading what you found, not searching a database...

I can still smell that musty dank smell of stale paper. I think I have that shop to thank for helping me ace English tests in grammar school.

I miss those days....Weeping

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
19-01-2015, 03:44 PM
My same age period was spent in a library. We lucked out and as the city grew after we moved in, a branch opened up right across the street from my home. I spent AGES in the stacks there.

Albert Camus
[+] 1 user Likes thesummerqueen's post