Book Stores - An Addiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 03:50 PM
RE: Book Stores - An Addiction?
I wish I had that sort of addiction now. I don't much care for books now. Not that I can't read now, just haven't had much of a taste for them now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Book Stores - An Addiction?
I've worked at all the bookstores and a college library in my area. The awkward feeling of being ecstatic (yay, books!) and being depressed (you aren't allowed to read at work)....
19-01-2015, 04:30 PM
(19-01-2015 03:41 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Some of my fondest memories were of going to an old used book store in town when I was 9-12 and spending a good hour in there voraciously hunting down books. I had a thing for those old hardbound Readers Digest compendiums, with stories from Arthur C Clarke, Neville Shute, allsorts. I found old history books, old encyclopedias, old classic novels, all between 10p and 50p. It was like some jamboree bag, or beachcombing for shells, and the fun was reading what you found, not searching a database...

I can still smell that musty dank smell of stale paper. I think I have that shop to thank for helping me ace English tests in grammar school.

I miss those days....Weeping

Short story comps are awesome. I have like eight volumes of science fiction of the year books. I was even lucky enough to find a copy of mirrorshades - the cyberpunk anthology, which is one of the harder to find treasures of cyberpunk fiction.
[+] 3 users Like DeadChannel's post
19-01-2015, 05:41 PM
I've kept some hard bound copies around like my 1953 and 1954 editions of The Old Man and the Sea and my 1962 edition Travels With Charley, The Calvin and Hobbes collections and some odds and ends, the rest are photo coffee books everything else is now online.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Book store addict here too.

I still have books I have had since I was a kid.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Ofcourse! Shy I love the smell of libraries! Blush Aisle after ailse of books! Big Grin

eBooks have no odor, at all! Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
24-01-2015, 10:56 AM
(19-01-2015 11:47 AM)DeadChannel Wrote:  A few months ago, I discovered the local used book shop. Recently, I've been stopping in every time I'm in that part of town.
Every time, I inevitably come out with a number of books that I'm going to keep ambiguous, but is pretty large.
Seriously, it's starting to turn into a serious problem.

Does anyone else have a similar affliction?

A good affliction to have if you ask me. Of course that is provided you attempt to read all you have.
24-01-2015, 11:07 AM
It's worth it.. i have many a books and many classic collections because of my nuttiness of book hunts

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson