Book Suggestions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Book Suggestions?
So, I'm a rather new atheist and I've just converted from Christianity, or rather deconverted, and I was wondering what good scientific books there are out there, i have plenty of free time and I figure I may as well use it productively. I've read hundreds of religious books and articles and I need something solid and factual for once. Especially if it can disprove Christianity because I'm sure I'll have a ton of people trying to "save" me again. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
RE: Book Suggestions?
First I'd like to welcome you to the forum! So welcome.

Next I'd like to introduce you to the section you posted in. Literally any thread about books within this section will be littered with the types of reading materials you are on the lookout for.

Then I'm going to link you to a good place to start.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ons-anyone

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2012, 11:06 PM
(06-06-2012 03:08 PM)Billybrawner Wrote:  So, I'm a rather new atheist and I've just converted from Christianity, or rather deconverted, and I was wondering what good scientific books there are out there, i have plenty of free time and I figure I may as well use it productively. I've read hundreds of religious books and articles and I need something solid and factual for once. Especially if it can disprove Christianity because I'm sure I'll have a ton of people trying to "save" me again. Thanks

From a philosophical perspective Antony Flew was the best known atheist writer for some 50 years; in his eigth decade he became a Deist of sorts. Angel
06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
If you have time to read here on TTA, this is brilliant .
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
07-06-2012, 07:24 AM
(06-06-2012 03:08 PM)Billybrawner Wrote:  So, I'm a rather new atheist and I've just converted from Christianity, or rather deconverted, and I was wondering what good scientific books there are out there, i have plenty of free time and I figure I may as well use it productively. I've read hundreds of religious books and articles and I need something solid and factual for once. Especially if it can disprove Christianity because I'm sure I'll have a ton of people trying to "save" me again. Thanks
You could go to Amazon.com and look at authors like Christopher Hitchens, Daniel C. Dennett, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Victor Stenger, John Loftus, Jerry Coyne, ...

Amazon is particularly good at making suggestions for related books/authors.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Youtube also has some excellent teaching material on a variety of topics, and don't forget wikipedia.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Thank you'll for your help! Also, I've heard about the four horsemen or something like that, could anyone explain what that is?
08-06-2012, 05:05 AM
The four horsemen: Christopher Hitchens, Daniel C. Dennett, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins as mentioned above by Chas.
Hitch coined the phrase as a joke The Four Horsemen of The Anti-Apocalypse.
I guess you'd have to say that there are only 3 now but Hitch lives on in our memories and on our bookshelves.
For refutation of Biblibollox why not take the science route... The Grand Design (Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow) is a good starter.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Ah ok, thanks. I'll look into that as well