Book V. Movie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Video Book V. Movie
Countless brilliant, and not so brilliant books have made there way to the silver screen. Which amazing books were completely ruined when they tried to make a go of it at the box office? Any crappy books turn into good movies? Which ones were done well? What book do you think needs to be turned into a movie?

I'll start.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, one of the most brilliant books I've read turned into a not-so great movie.

The Lord of the Rings was a brilliant book, and three brilliant movies, though they messed up a few things.

I wish "they" would make an animated version of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac though it would surely carry an MA parental warning, so that is unlikely.

Okay your turn Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2012, 12:55 AM
RE: Book V. Movie
There's a new book out called Atheist's Critique of the Bible. I'd like to see the movie of that.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Spy.
The WORST part was the audience at the showing we went to was so fucking ignorant of History, that not only did they not get the movie, they also obviously never read a le Caree book.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Never saw the LOTR movies and never will (don't like others imposing on me their ideas of something I love).

I thought Amadeus fell short of the play it was based on...

Have always thought that Ken Kesey's Sailor Song would make a nice little film... it's a weird little book but if done right, could be quite good as a movie.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
24-10-2012, 06:27 AM
(24-10-2012 12:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Countless brilliant, and not so brilliant books have made there way to the silver screen. Which amazing books were completely ruined when they tried to make a go of it at the box office? Any crappy books turn into good movies? Which ones were done well? What book do you think needs to be turned into a movie?

I'll start.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, one of the most brilliant books I've read turned into a not-so great movie.

The Lord of the Rings was a brilliant book, and three brilliant movies, though they messed up a few things.

I wish "they" would make an animated version of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac though it would surely carry an MA parental warning, so that is unlikely.

Okay your turn Tongue

LOTR was made into dreadful movies. He fucked up the story so badly I wept.

The best movie from book was To Kill A Mockingbird. Nothing else comes close.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2012, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 08:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-10-2012 04:14 AM)Vera Wrote:  Never saw the LOTR movies and never will (don't like others imposing on me their ideas of something I love).

I thought Amadeus fell short of the play it was based on...

Have always thought that Ken Kesey's Sailor Song would make a nice little film... it's a weird little book but if done right, could be quite good as a movie.

I really like the Amadeus play, mostly because I love the Mozart operas. They are some of the very few, (along with Fidelio), I have the patience to sit through. In Don Giovanni, the horrendous relationship Wolfy had with his father, is highlighted, and how both he and his sister were paraded around Europe, in an abusive fashion, by a control freak, for his personal glorification. In Don Giovanni, it is either THE first time or one of the first times in Western art, that the hero figure finally remains unredeemed, and actually literally falls into hell. So we know that Wolfgang despised his father. Also his "Marriage of Figaro" is an astounding piece of music and literature. He actually makes fun of the aristocracy who are sitting in his audience, and their pompous hypocrisy. Then at the end, is am amazing bit of humanism, in the Enlightenment, as the Countess, in one of the most beautiful pieces of music Mozart ever wrote, "stoops" to forgive her husband, after his infidelity. I never tire of that scene of reconciliation.

Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2012, 07:53 AM
(24-10-2012 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I really like the Amadeus play, mostly because I love the Mozart operas. They are some of the very few, (along with Fidelio), I have the patience to sit through. In Don Giovanni, the horrendous relationship Wolfy had with his father, is highlighted, and how both he and his sister were paraded around Europe, in an abusive fashion, by a control freak, for his personal glorification. In Don Giovanni, it is either THE first time or one of the first times in Western art, that the hero figure finally remains unredeemed, and actually literally falls into hell. So we know that Wolfgang despised his father. Also his "Marriage of Figaro" is an astounding piece of music and literature. He actually make fun of the aristocracy who are sitting in his audience, and their pompous hypocrisy. Then at the end, is am amazing bit of humanism, in the Enlightenment, as the Countess, in one of the most beautiful pieces of music Mozart ever wrote, "stoops" to forgive her husband, after his infidelity. I never tire of that scene of reconciliation.

I like the play a lot, too; mind you, it's been a long time since I've read it or seen the movie and back than I was still religious (Undecided), so it kinda changed the way I saw things, but back then I thought the play was much more about Salieri and god and his attempt to show god that man cannot be mocked, than it was about Mozart and Salieri/talent and mediocrity, yet the Salieri/god thing was completely missing from the movie (I think)...

The funny thing is, it's rather unfair on Salieri, who was by no means the talentless, murdering hack most people seem to think he was... though not a genius like Mozart, he was actually quite good.

While I'm much more into Baroque (and mostly Italian Baroque), than into Classical music per se, you're so right about his works (and the reconciliation scene!). I, too, cannot sit through an opera, but that's mostly because I can rarely do only one thing at a time, so I usually listen to them at home, while translating or doing mindless stuff on my computer, to keep my hands occupied. Once again, I quite like the Italian operas (I have a strong affinity for Italian music), esp. Donizetti.

PS. Also, don't forget that some of the admiration should go to the librettists and the writers whose works the operas are based on Smile

PPS. Speaking of beautiful (and as a fellow Pergolesi admirer, though it's not actually his, after all...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDX0Ih2tjAk (not my most favourite version, but...)

24-10-2012, 09:00 AM
(24-10-2012 07:53 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I really like the Amadeus play, mostly because I love the Mozart operas. They are some of the very few, (along with Fidelio), I have the patience to sit through. In Don Giovanni, the horrendous relationship Wolfy had with his father, is highlighted, and how both he and his sister were paraded around Europe, in an abusive fashion, by a control freak, for his personal glorification. In Don Giovanni, it is either THE first time or one of the first times in Western art, that the hero figure finally remains unredeemed, and actually literally falls into hell. So we know that Wolfgang despised his father. Also his "Marriage of Figaro" is an astounding piece of music and literature. He actually make fun of the aristocracy who are sitting in his audience, and their pompous hypocrisy. Then at the end, is am amazing bit of humanism, in the Enlightenment, as the Countess, in one of the most beautiful pieces of music Mozart ever wrote, "stoops" to forgive her husband, after his infidelity. I never tire of that scene of reconciliation.

I like the play a lot, too; mind you, it's been a long time since I've read it or seen the movie and back than I was still religious (Undecided), so it kinda changed the way I saw things, but back then I thought the play was much more about Salieri and god and his attempt to show god that man cannot be mocked, than it was about Mozart and Salieri/talent and mediocrity, yet the Salieri/god thing was completely missing from the movie (I think)...

The funny thing is, it's rather unfair on Salieri, who was by no means the talentless, murdering hack most people seem to think he was... though not a genius like Mozart, he was actually quite good.

While I'm much more into Baroque (and mostly Italian Baroque), than into Classical music per se, you're so right about his works (and the reconciliation scene!). I, too, cannot sit through an opera, but that's mostly because I can rarely do only one thing at a time, so I usually listen to them at home, while translating or doing mindless stuff on my computer, to keep my hands occupied. Once again, I quite like the Italian operas (I have a strong affinity for Italian music), esp. Donizetti.

PS. Also, don't forget that some of the admiration should go to the librettists and the writers whose works the operas are based on Smile

PPS. Speaking of beautiful (and as a fellow Pergolesi admirer, though it's not actually his, after all...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDX0Ih2tjAk (not my most favourite version, but...)

My favorite is Rossini's Barber of Seville. It's hilarious. Lots of great tunes, to hum.
I saw Fidelio in San Diego a few years ago. They did it in drab "Eastern European" modern costumes, (as in "Communist State"). The soprano had a padded jacket, (you thought she was "hefty" at least), and a cap which hid her hair for most of the opera. At the end when all was revealed, she took off her cap and jacket. The sets and scenery was brilliant, from San Francisco. The backdrop was a blue sky/ocean. When she took off her hat , she had long blond hair, and the jacket removal revealed a svelte "blond babe". It was SO hilarious, and perfect for Californians. The "prison" walls fell "in" on itself, around the cast.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2012, 09:20 AM
(24-10-2012 09:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They did it in drab "Eastern European" modern costumes, (as in "Communist State"). The soprano had a padded jacket, (you thought she was "hefty" at least), and a cap which hid her hair for most of the opera. At the end when all was revealed, she took off her cap and jacket. The sets and scenery was brilliant, from San Francisco. The backdrop was a blue sky/ocean. When she took off her hat , she had long blond hair, and the jacket removal revealed a svelte "blond babe". It was SO hilarious, and perfect for Californians. The "prison" walls fell "in" on itself, around the cast.

Hehe, I'm not sure if you realise it, but I am Eastern European, as in from an ex-communist state Big Grin

When I was a kid we had this book called A History of Opera, with the librettos, a bit of history/background and some info on the music of all important operas. I would read it all the time... And today this, coupled with a huge book of Ancient Greek myths I would also read over and over, allows me to come off as much smarter than I actually am Wink

Before I get scolded for derailing threads - while I haven't actually seen the whole of it, Kubrick should be ashamed of his Clockwork Orange - for an American to base it on the American version of the book, sans the last chapter, might have been understandable, but for a Brit No The book is great, though (esp. if you speak Russian, than it works on both the English and the Russian level).

24-10-2012, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2012 03:33 PM by Dark Light.)
(24-10-2012 06:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  LOTR was made into dreadful movies. He fucked up the story so badly I wept.

That was essentially my initial impression, but if you think of how they had to compress the story to fit it all into 9 hours of film for the theatrical version, and, i dunno 12 for the extended editions it was done quite well. What would've been ideal would have been a TV series or Mini-Series in that style, but then cost of making it would've outweighed the profit so I think that we got the best possible deal we could reasonably expect. Just my opinion.

One thing that did bother me though was Jackson gave the impression Frodo was still very young we he left for his adventure, though he was supposed to be thirty-three if memory serves. That could've easily been fixed easily, especially in the extended edition, but it wasn't.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post